Rega Brio vs Arcam 7 or 8

A

Anonymous

I've chosen not to change my system for various reasons, but the Alpha series amps sound flat, dull and lacking in drive. . Bass is AWOL, the timing.. well there is no timing. The best thing you could say is that they don't sound dry or mechanical. The Rega would have to be superior.

lcd4ever:

Was looking at the Arcam amps for sale over on e-bay.....then seen a Rega Brio......intrigued what are your thoughts on this vs the Arcams....

I've still got Arcam Alpha 7R. For the money they are very good, although I would stretch to the DIVA range - they sound more open and not quite as rich as the Alphas.

Not heard the Regas, thus can't comment. Rega do prefer their own soueces and speakers....

T

the record spot

If you're looking at an older Arcam, then try the Arcam Alpha 10 - £900 in its' day roughly a decade ago and you can pick up good examples used for around £250. Reviewed well and sounds the part apparently; might be worth considering?

the record spot:If you're looking at an older Arcam, then try the Arcam Alpha 10 - £900 in its' day roughly a decade ago and you can pick up good examples used for around £250. Reviewed well and sounds the part apparently; might be worth considering?

Good amp, but's an ugly brute....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup; IMO the only Arcam Alpha amps to have now (more so with the products that are currently on the market) are the Arcam Alpha 9 and 10 integrated amps.

Both are brilliant and will suit a wide range of CDP's and speakers as well as covering various music tatses

However; they both do get a lot better when partnered with their matching power amp. For the money; I think these combos are brilliant and it would take a lot of £££ to better them.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys this amp will be partnered with my ageing alpha 1 cd player, my planar 2, and Nakamichi BR2 tape deck and mission 302e speakers; this system is set up in my spare room and if honest is the 4th string system in the house. As well as the 2 set ups in my sig I have in my dining room An Arcam CD72 cd player with Audiolab 8000A amp and Mission 33i speakers, so I can mix and match a little to create one excellent system and one not so good. I am also watching a Cyrus 8, Arcam A75 and Nad C350 as well as a few Alpha 8s and 7s plus the Brio.....

so build me the best amp/ speaker and cd player combo out of these......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts