Rega brio-r, Audiolab 8200A or Cambridge 651A

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mmmm

you have a 651C in your sig so why do you want to change?

Whats your budget?

Do you need a phono stage?

All nice amps in there own way - what is it you are trying to achieve?

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
It all depends on the kind of presentation and features you are looking for. The Rega has a fine phono stage and is a lively and entertaining amplifier, while the Audiolab is a line level unit with more power and a firm emphasise on analysis rather than enthusiasm. From my experience, the Cambridge isn't up the the sonic standards of the other two.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard the Cambridge, the Rega I found dissappointing rather lacking in power and struggled to drive speakers like the CM1s, the Audiolab seemed OK but is more money. If I were you I would try the Arcam A19, Creek 50A and Roksan Kandy K2, for me its between the Creek and RK.

BUT you need to hear them with your speakers.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
£500 is my limit, and i can get all these amps for this this price or less.

My sig says 651c, as this is my cd player. And it is an outstanding player. I am not after a phono stage, but have heard the rega and did really like the sound. It did seem to drive my dynaudios with no problem. Although my old sherwood seems to be driving them ok, so presuming anything modern will drive them better. I heard the cambridge 351a and did like it, and heard the audiolab, and at the time did prefer the rega, but found the 8200 incredibly insightful and had massive soundstage compared to the rega. But the rega just sounded nicer to listen to. But these auditions were several months ago, and i am going to have to re-listen before i buy.

Interesting what you say about the cambridge Ketan. Maybe the Brio will be the one. I listen to all types of music really. from rock to classical. Anything that sounds good to me. hip hop, dance, jazz.......

My only concern with the rega i think is the slight lack of power/oomf. But maybe in my smallish room i won't notice it at all as my sherwood is only ever on 1/4 volume here, although when i took it to audition my speakers in larger room, the volume went to half way.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Another option if the Arcam A19 is too expensive then you can get the Arcam A18 for £300. I have heard the Arcam A19 and would say its has better detail than the Rega, I know one person on here who has upgraded his Rega to the Arcam A19. The A18 is meant to be similar to the A19.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I do have Dynaudios X12 in the end of my Rega Brio R and a living room with 42 sqm, and the Brio R is doing an amaizing JOB, the Brio R is special Amp, it out shines more expencive ones! It connects me to music!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I did hear the a-19 and knew within about ten seconds it wasnt for me. I am thinking it was probably due to my speakers sensitvity. WHF say that the amp needs very careful matching, and a higher sensitive speaker is needed. This could be why the a19 did not sound good on my audition.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
It really is a no brainer!

You have discounted the Arcam

Your Budget is £500

The Rega Brio R is £498 and is probably the best performing stereo amp under £600

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Rega Brio-R : worm and smooth

Audiolab 8200A - neutral and accurate

Cabridge Audio 651A - bright and sharp

The Rega and Audiolab are better than the CA, they are not in the same league .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if the Rega will be much better than the Arcam, as I have said before at least one person on here has traded up from the Rega to the Arcam, your speakers have low sensitivity 86db at 4Ohms so the Rega maybe better.

I thought the A19 was better than the Rega but I only had a short demo, speakers were B&W CM1s, which are not sensitive either.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The OP has discounted the Arcam - he didnt like the sound!

Both good amps but I wouldnt say tthe Arcam is a better amp......just a different presentaion which generally is personal!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Both good amps but I wouldnt say tthe Arcam is a better amp......just a different presentaion which generally is personal!

Yes I know, just giving my opinion. Yes you are correct they are different, WHF picked the Arcam A19 as group winner in this month WHF mag, which did not inc. the Rega. The Rega was best amp last year under £500, the Roksan was best amp. under £1000 in 2011. The only way is to hear them, preferrably at home with your speakers.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

Yes I know, just giving my opinion. Yes you are correct they are different, WHF picked the Arcam A19 as group winner in this month WHF mag, which did not inc. the Rega. The Rega was best amp last year under £500, the Roksan was best amp. under £1000 in 2011. The only way is to hear them, preferrably at home with your speakers.

No worries!

I think the reason the Rega wasnt included as It was amps up to £800 wasnt it? Just goes to show you really need to hear amps & speakers yourself and see what you orefer!

In an ideal world get a demo at home!

And I wouldnt take WHF reviews as gospel!

Only your ears matter!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

No worries!

I think the reason the Rega wasnt included as It was amps up to £800 wasnt it? Just goes to show you really need to hear amps & speakers yourself and see what you orefer!

In an ideal world get a demo at home!

And I wouldnt take WHF reviews as gospel!

Only your ears matter!

Yes that is true, pity they did not compare the Rega and Creek rather than some of the Japanese ones.

If you can get the Audiolab for £500 that is a good deal but its your ears that should decide, I thought the Audiolab was good but did not hear at same dealer as Rega and Arcam so hard to compare.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
haha! no disrespect taken. The sherwood has been a great starter and introduction into the hifi world. With my new speakers and cd player even it sounds incredible at times. I know though from listening to other amps before i got the new cd player that other amps are in completel new stratospheres these days. I have heard the rega and the audiolab, and have heard a cambridge 351a. All sounded very good, my preference being the rega i think. Mostly probably for its tonality. Piano music sounded so lifelike. And Chris Martin could have been in the room when listening to Parachutes. That and the positive comments here are what draw me to the rega. Although the cambridge may not have been as tonally accurate maybe, it was very lively, i wouldnt say harsh (although i only listended to it for 2 hours) and its soundstage was very good. Before i buy the rega if thats where this leads, i need to fashion some kind of hifi unit to house it and stand the cd player on. this will have to be hand made, and with no carpentry skills, and having found today the local b&q had closed down, may take some time.

Thanks to everyone who has inputted into thius thread for me. All opinions are really appreciated. :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
as well as the speakers sensitivity, the arcam amp was new out of the box, opened in front of me, and only had 2 hours max to warm up before i went back for audition. This probably wouldnt have helped too much either. Rightly or wrongly, it turned me off the amp. (hopefully though going by WHF, it wouldnt be too compatible with my spekaers anyway).

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have considered the roksan kandy absolutely. A cracking amp by all accounts, and my local richer sounds had one playing last time i went in and it definitely sounded ok on the busy shop floor. Unfortunately though it is def out of my budget. On the plus side, it's one less alternative to think about.

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I know&read about these Dynaudio soundwise they should play well with all of the 3 amps, and yes[!] including the Cambridge.

Nothing different at all than Audiolab IMO. (and many other reviewers on the EU-continent and abroad) :wave:

If you like the same looks, tone control and shared remote than the Cambridge is for you.

If you just want the simplicity and more refined sound go with the Rega.

smiley-smile.gif
No worries, enjoy.

My experiences for new amp....

When I had sold my Arcam surround-receiver a few years ago I was going for a stereo-amp. I had a Cambridge 340a once before and connected to some Tannoy's from the 90's and later on to a set of Monitor Audio Silver1, now that was just an awful 'in yer face' sound but the Tannoy where fine. Then I thought I might like a new Exposure a1010 with my new KEF iQ5se, well that was no good unfortunaly the bass was really overblown like there was a 'loudness button' turned on. So replaced it with the 350A and everything sounded just perfect, music ànd movies.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you can get an Audiolab 8200A for £500? Have not seen it under £600.

Rega Ive seen ex. demo for under £400 and a few months old for £350.

RK is about £640.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, hifi corner in edinburgh is closing down, but even before that the guy said he could do me a 8200a for £500. I might have even been able to haggle more. I guess he knew they were closing down as only a few days later the sale signs went up.

Tell your friends! lol.

:dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts