Reference DVD Discs

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi all!

I'm off to try out some new surround speakers tomorrow and suddenly realised I need to take some reference DVD discs with me. The obvious choices include "Saving Private Ryan" for the beginning battle scene, "Return of the King" for the DTS 6.1 soundtrack and immense battle scene and "The Phantom Menace", purely for the THX certification, not for the film!

However, my friend just reminded me that some of the best surround moments can be the quiet moments, when every little detail can be heard. However, neither of us can think of any! Between us, we've got a pretty decent DVD collection so I wondered if anyone had recommendations for good movie 5.1 moments? With any luck, I'll have it and can take it with me!

Suggestions gratefully received!

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
I've always liked the opening of Armageddon - the "Valhalla" bit of the opening credits when the wind gets into the sails and the Heston voice over when the meteor hits earth and bits start flying off it. Don't know why I like it - but I've always used it to test stuff...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Great suggestions guys! Unfortunately 3 discs neither myself nor my friend own! (but maybe we should...!).

Any others welcome, would love to have some moments to try as and when I get all my kit back as well!

A

Anonymous

Appocalypse Now. the opening 30 seconds,very subtle,amazing sweep of helicoptor rotors around the room.

not as dramatic as " Matrix" lobby scene or others that have been mentioned but it's the tester for me.

A

Anonymous

I've always been a fan of the opening of Gladiator for sheer impact, but if it's musicality you want to test - I'd always go for the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" DVD - go to either of the Joan Osborne tracks - "Heatwave" or my favourite - "What becomes of the broken hearted" if the hairs don't stand up on the back of your neck - don't buy em'......

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nice one guys, I love the Apocolypse Now example, especially with Jim Morrison's voice rising and falling over the effect... lovely!

Opening to Gladiator is also a good one, and also during the entry to the first gladitorial fight (I think it is) as one of them swirls his flail around his head in slow motion!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts