Question Recs for First Audiophile Headphone Setup

CollideTheBeautiful

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
How much would you like to spend? $1000

Can you stretch your budget if significant quality/ features improve at a slightly higher price point? Yes

What are you plugging the headphones into? I don’t know yet!

Do you need noise isolation? No

Will this be primarily for home listening? Yes

Do you do a lot of flying (on airplanes)? N/A

Are you hard on gear? No

Are you a bass-head, focused on accurate acoustic timbre, looking for sparkly treble, or do you want a tonally balanced pair of headphones? I like a fair amount of bass. I dislike too much treble.

Preferred music genre(s) -
Atmospheric/Space Rock: HUM, Angels and Airwaves, gates, Mogwai, Arctic Sleep, The Smashing Pumpkins, Failure, I Mother Earth, Explosions ok the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Starset, Teenage Wrist
Trip Hop: DJ Shadow, Portishead, Massive Attack, DJ Cam, DJ Krush
Emo/Post-Hardcore: blink-182, Story of the Year, Finch, Chevelle, Senses Fail, My Chemical Romance, Funeral for a Friend, Thrice

What have you used in the past? Bowers and Wilkins PX, Audio Technica ATH-M50x

What did you like about it and what didn't you like about it? Both are great. The PX serves as my wireless headphone set and use it for hours every day for work. The Audio Technica is for home listening and is my goal to replace. The sound is excellent, but I suspect there’s a better listening experience out there and I’m ready to jump in.

What aspect of your current listening experience would you like to improve? Now that I’m working from home, I’m ready to purchase a high end open-backed set of headphones to increase my music experience. I have the space for an amp and DAC if needed.

D

Deleted member 188533

Not sure how I missed this post so sorry for the late reply. :)

$1000 just for the headphones? The Massdrop x Focal Elex is a solid choice. It's a Focal Elear with pads from the Clear. I have an Elear with Elex pads. Solid bass ( better bass with the Elear pads ) with wonderfully lush mids and no bright treble.

The Audeze LCD2 or LCD2 Classic. The LCD2 Classic is a darker bass centered headphone. Some people find the treble too recessed. Both are quite heavy and can have comfort issues.

The Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro is also an option. Comes with 2 sets of pads that dramatically change the sound signature. Some people find them bright but I love mine. I also dislike overly bright things and I think they go right to the line...but never cross it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts