Recommended lossless player software

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have been using WMP 12 on windows 10, ripping cds to FLAC and this seems pretty good. I saw few people recommend FOOBAR but I tried this nd I don't want to have to learn so much to listen to good quality music off my computer, but did read that some software doesn't send the digital as good as others. I have read JRiver media is quite goo also

Is there any truth tp this or are there recommended ones to get the best out of the files. Thanks

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
I have been using WMP 12 on windows 10, ripping cds to FLAC and this seems pretty good. I saw few people recommend FOOBAR but I tried this nd I don't want to have to learn so much to listen to good quality music off my computer, but did read that some software doesn't send the digital as good as others. I have read JRiver media is quite goo also

Is there any truth tp this or are there recommended ones to get the best out of the files. Thanks

Yes there is some truth, both with the operating systems and the software:

1 - owners using Android smartphones will need to use a software app to bypass Androids automatic 24/192 upsampling[/b]

2 - apple devices by default output at 48k

3 - windows devices will upsample/downsample your music automatically, even if you don't want it to - If you're using DirectSound output, which is, I believe, the default for Foobar 2000, then your DAC is going to show the sample rate as setup in the Windows Sounds/Mixer settings (Windows will up/downsample any audio to the setting you have here, which is generally something you want to avoid). You'll need to use WASAPI or ASIO to get your system to output at the native file rate.

So there is benefit in using different music players to the default Media Centre.

Foobar is popular, so is UAPP (for USB outputs), Hiby as well - but with all of them, it is key to adjust the settings/drivers so that they receive a bitperfect signal.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
2 - apple devices by default output at 48k

I don't know if you just mean phones (seeing the OP never mentioned mobile devices) but their computers output by default at 44.1, unless you're talking about the HDMI output.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.
I don't mean mobile devices, it's my computer into a usb DAC to a hifi set up.

Just trying to find the best before I rip to many in WMP and find I could have been doing it better all along

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Musicbee supports all formats and also is a lot easier (and prettier!) to set up and use than Foobar.

Thanks. I use musicbee but for some reso if I rip a flac on WMP, musicbee does not see song number 1 on any album, I tried jriver and its the same. Probably WMP does something to cause this. I would probably need to rip in musicbee to use it fully. I may try this

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I'd be interested in your views on it.

BTW are you running the latest version 3.0.6077, as Steven updates it regularly (part of the reason it is my go-to music player).

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
I'd be interested in your views on it.

BTW are you running the latest version 3.0.6077, as Steven updates it regularly (part of the reason it is my go-to music player).

I was on a lower number version, even though I only re-installed about a month or so ago. I tried to figure out how to update but it beat me, so I uninstalled and re-installed laste last night. I am on version 3.0.6067. I ripped a fe Flac cds. Initial impression are that it rips faster, is way better at figuring out the correct album, and also it codes the files in such a way that if I load albums on a usb stick the Bluray I use sees them in the format or song order from the original album. I have a bit of configuring but think Musicbee will likely be used over WMP.

Thanks for your suggestions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts