Recommendations Requested for Streamer, Integrated Amp or Amp/Preamp, $35K budget

PaulG1449

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello All. I'm a new member on this site and not learned when it comes to hifi equipment. I have ~ $35K budgeted for purchase of the best sounding equipment (specifically: a desktop music streamer, a desktop integrated amp or preamp/amp combo, and cables) my money can buy. They would be hooked up to my Aerial Model 7B floor speakers with Transparent Super cable. At my age (mid 60s), I like the convenience of digital, so the equipment would need multiple digital inputs, but desire to get the closest to analog sound as a I can.
I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. Many Thanks! PaulG

Jimboo

I would listen to streamers across a wide budget range and then report back to us about the difference the streamer alone makes because, I don't think you are going to be anything other but astounded by the almost total lack of difference. You really are not going to find a massive difference for massive prices. Buyer be very aware.

Reactions: PaulG1449

PaulG1449

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. Reading them, I am curious as to how reviews done by WHAT HI*FI folks distinguish between the sonic quality between say, a Naim NDX2 @ ~$7.5K vs Naim 555/555PR @ $20K+. Their reviews say the Naim 555/555PR "is the best sounding digital streaming source we’ve heard" but the NDX2 only produces "cohesive and entertaining sound". I don't even know how I'm supposed to interpret "cohesive and entertaining sound." What does that even mean?
I've tried auditioning lots of equipment. I ended up buying a Mark Levionson's "entry-level" 5805 and any music played through its DAC sounded muted & lifeless. I intend on returning the ML 5805 and getting something else.
Also, in sampling different equipment at the local high-end store, their devices are connected to the best cables money can buy, which might be a different situation in my home.

Jimboo

Oh , cables mmm, moving on. You are a reviewer and you have to write something right? Cohesive and entertaining sound means NADA. If you have the flagship and a lesser model from the same company it is a brave man that would admit the difference is negligible, especially if you regularly review their products.
So , use your ears , bring your own cables and honestly ignore the bloody price. Tidal makes a lot of stuff sound fuller I think but it is generally louder and it's all remasters. Spotify has a better sound on Bluetooth on my Kefs, I don't know why. CD sounds better to my ears. Streamers , I dunno where is the magic what can they possibly do ? You have to listen. Honestly 7.5 -22k is just stupid money.

insider9

Thank you all for your replies. Reading them, I am curious as to how reviews done by WHAT HI*FI folks distinguish between the sonic quality between say, a Naim NDX2 @ ~$7.5K vs Naim 555/555PR @ $20K+. Their reviews say the Naim 555/555PR "is the best sounding digital streaming source we’ve heard" but the NDX2 only produces "cohesive and entertaining sound". I don't even know how I'm supposed to interpret "cohesive and entertaining sound." What does that even mean?
I've tried auditioning lots of equipment. I ended up buying a Mark Levionson's "entry-level" 5805 and any music played through its DAC sounded muted & lifeless. I intend on returning the ML 5805 and getting something else.
Also, in sampling different equipment at the local high-end store, their devices are connected to the best cables money can buy, which might be a different situation in my home.
Good. That's very good. As far as spending your budget may get you the best sound quality it most certainly wont get you most enjoyment.

Imagine being a newbie and spending $3k on a bottle of whisky/wine. Would you really tell the difference?

My advice is start small at a fraction of your budget. $5k should be plenty to start with. Then keep upgrading every so often. More enjoyment and most importantly you'll learn what you like and what you dont like.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
A Devialet Expert 220 Pro is a great and stylish/modern starting point and comes in with 5 years of warranty.
New Rotel Michi Series seems to be serious stuff and looks nice too imo. in a more conventional but modern way.

rainsoothe

You won't be getting muted and lifeless with Naim. As for the "cohesive" thing, I get what they mean. Some gear can sound detailed to the point that you only hear the details, but the grand scheme of things gets lost. It's a "matter of fact" way of presenting the music: here's the trombones, here's the drums etc, but doesn't make you feel like dancing, there's no emotional connection.

On the gear, many people swear by the improvement power sources bring to systems, at least in the Naim ecosystem. Some would rather use a lower source with the best PSU (the 555 ps) than the better source without an external PSU. Other gear you should consider is Chord, Lumin, MSB (some of their dacs are fabulous imo), Bryston, maybe even Linn stuff.

For gutsy sound, few do it better than Naim.

daytona600

DCS or MSB entry ranges are circa $35k top of the range are well into 6 figures but they are Outstanding

Roon nucleus as a Streamer / server , Melco ripper/storage/ NAS & DCS bartok as DAC youwill be in Budget
or Lumin X1 or Auralic G2

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts