Question Amp recommendation for KEF R3 (Hegel H90 vs Cambridge Audio CXA81)

andreih8017

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm planning on buying a pair of KEF R3s (very good local deal and will buy without auditioning first unfortunately). I'm still trying to decide between KEF R3 and Monitor Audio Silver 200 but I'm definitely leaning towards the KEF. Especially since I will do the listening in an flat (room about 18 sqm) so the listening volume will be rather low and I think some bookshelf speakers would benefit me more than floorstanders (correct me if I'm wrong pls).

Now the question is what amp to choose between a Cambridge Audio CXA61/81 (or 60/80 if the difference is not that big) and a Hegel 90. The Hegel 90 is actually cheaper than the CXA81 because i found a resealed one. Although I read lots of great reviews for CXA61/81, I've also read that Hegel amps work great with KEF speakers (the local store also bundles the KEFs with the Hegel), so I'm a little bit puzzled.

The lack of a phono stage doesn't bother me (I have a phono preamp), but what interests me is the quality of the DAC. I currently have a HRT Music Streamer II DAC (Home review) and it would be great if the integrated DAC of my future amp would be better. Also, which DAC is better in terms of sound quality, the Hegel's or the CA's? In terms of hi-res digital, I mostly listen to masters up to 24bit/96khz (rarely 192khz) and DSD64 SACDs.

Btw, I'm open to any kind of advice, I'm not limited to the equipment above :) And again, auditioning is unfortunately out of the question because if current virus situation. However, I have 30 days return period.

Thanks in advance,
Andrei

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
In a room of that size and in a flat, I would definitely consider the LS50W (and no need for an amp, but probably worth buying some better USB and ethernet cables). I use mine in a flat in a very old house (I mean veeery old, 4 or 5 centuries old :) and I can do late night listening at very low volumes with no loss of clarity or dynamics. Best piece of audio I ever bought. Good luck anyway, and have fun with your quest :)

Buy a separate amps and dac, there is little point in buying integrated unless you absolutely need to keep the box count down.
So difficult to have an upgrade path when you are unsure as to whether the amp or the dac is lacking something and the dac side of things is the part that is most upgradeable.

insider9

In a room of that size and in a flat, I would definitely consider the LS50W (and no need for an amp, but probably worth buying some better USB and ethernet cables). I use mine in a flat in a very old house (I mean veeery old, 4 or 5 centuries old :) and I can do late night listening at very low volumes with no loss of clarity or dynamics. Best piece of audio I ever bought. Good luck anyway, and have fun with your quest :)
LS50W doesn't support gapless playback. I would never recommend it based on that alone.

andreih8017

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Buy a separate amps and dac, there is little point in buying integrated unless you absolutely need to keep the box count down.
So difficult to have an upgrade path when you are unsure as to whether the amp or the dac is lacking something and the dac side of things is the part that is most upgradeable.

I fully agree, separate is better. But a DAC is not in the budget right now since (i) I already have one and (ii) both amps I'm interested in have included DACs. I will definitely buy a DAC in the future, but until then I will rely either on my existing DAC which is entry level and pretty old or on the DAC in the amp, whichever is better :)

Thanks for the recommendation, but right now I have a classic stereo system (amp, turntable, dac and speakers) and I like this kind of setup :)

Jimboo

LS50W doesn't support gapless playback. I would never recommend it based on that alone.
It does support gapless playback ( I wish you would stop posting this) but not when using tidal because of the Kef stream app which is appaling. Spotify is fine.
However, for a classic source based set up it should be a must for audition. The sound and the fact that positioning of the speaker is not really anywhere near as fussy as most ( sweet spot tape measured triangulation of the listening position isn't necessary, it's quite remarkable how unfussy it is)coupled with the fact that you don't need to agonise over cables and endless box matching as you are now. Just give them ten minutes. Lots of boxes , racking , cables and p.s supplies, yuk.

insider9

It does support gapless playback ( I wish you would stop posting this) but not when using tidal because of the Kef stream app which is appaling. Spotify is fine.
However, for a classic source based set up it should be a must for audition. The sound and the fact that positioning of the speaker is not really anywhere near as fussy as most ( sweet spot tape measured triangulation of the listening position isn't necessary, it's quite remarkable how unfussy it is)coupled with the fact that you don't need to agonise over cables and endless box matching as you are now. Just give them ten minutes. Lots of boxes , racking , cables and p.s supplies, yuk.
I checked thier website before posting. Maybe they should change the info. How does one supposed to know if Kef themselves advertise it as such.

Jimboo

Yeah, I know they do. The problem is the app jumping tracks and going backwards etc. It works sometimes seamlessly. I don't know why the two apps with the speakers work so bad and why KEF are in denial about it. I believe the problem arises because at least one of the companies directors/ owners have more than a vested interest in the company that make the apps. I still maintain that they are the future and for the price /sound /build and performance you cannot get near them for sound. Despite the app ruining the party. I wouldn't normally tolerate this kind of shoddy behaviour but once you get rid of the boxes and cables etc . It just makes you wonder why everyone doesn't follow.
Most people seem to use that room thing , I guess they like staring at pictures while they listen.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I have quite a lot of experience with the Cambridge CXA80, and I'd recommend it. It's a decent, solid amp that doesn't impart much/any signature to the sound.
I mostly use the USB input connected to a laptop, but also use the analogue inputs from time to time. Sometimes I'll use my HiFi for mixing/mastering, so the XLR inputs have been handy, too.

If the feature set works for you, you can't go wrong with this amp.

FWIW, though, modern active speakers (studio monitors are worth a look, too - check out the Behringer B2031A monitors) will usually beat passive speakers for sound quality. The reason I went with an amp and passive speakers is because I wanted something that was easy to use as a primary concern.

Chris

I have a classic stereo system (amp, turntable, dac and speakers) and I like this kind of setup :)

Andrei Peachtree Audio's nova150 (UK RRP £1749) and the if budget permits the nova300 (UK RRP £2349) amp/DAC/phono amp/headphone amp/steamer (Wi-Fi streaming modules should be available anytime now) are also worth consideration. KEF and Monitor Audio loudspeakers pair well with the nova150 and the nova300.

If you don't mind looking at the used market then Devialet's 120 pro is also worth a look.

Andrei Peachtree Audio's nova150 (UK RRP £1749) and the if budget permits the nova300 (UK RRP £2349) amp/DAC/phono amp/headphone amp/steamer (Wi-Fi streaming modules should be available anytime now) are also worth consideration. KEF and Monitor Audio loudspeakers pair well with the nova150 and the nova300.

If you don't mind looking at the used market then Devialet's 120 pro is also worth a look.
Reading his first post I didn't think he was looking to spend more than £1000, could be wrong

rainsoothe

Salut, Andrei :)

From what I read, the R3 need some space to breathe, so if you can give them that, go for it, the deals at avstore are juicy indeed. But just know, you need to put them on stands. As for amp, either of them would do just fine. If it is an option (or you can get a special deal for buying two products, try to stretch to the Hegel H120 (there's even a re-sealed one, so maybe you can go even lower - can't hurt to ask).

Another option for a small room is small floorstanders, like Dali Oberon 5 or Spendor A2 (you can find those at stereomag).

Back to amplifiers, avstore have some very good offers on Naim amps as well - for just a bit over the cost of the CXA81, you can get your hands on the outgoing Nait XS2. Yes, no DAC, but you can upgrade yours at a later time, and the Naim is a different beast. And, last but not least, if I remember correctly, the Cambridge Audio CXN v2 is also on special offer, so you could look at that + the open-box Nait 5si, and still be within budget. This way, you'll be also upgrading your digital source (just like with the Hegel 120). Personally, this would be the route I would take. Oh, and don't let the wattage on the Naims fool you.

Baftă!

We haven't got anymore brand new H90's available at £362. So, its not us.

Btw, and fwiw i might be able to help you with the Hint 6 :)
Interesting, but it will not happen until I get back to work after this lockdown but it is my intention to replace my current amplification when I can and the Hint 6 is my current desire.
Message me if you find something as I have only seen one ex-demo but it's black which is fine but really want a silver, as a matter of interest where did £362 come from? I thought the CXA81 were £999

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Interesting, but it will not happen until I get back to work after this lockdown but it is my intention to replace my current amplification when I can and the Hint 6 is my current desire.
Message me if you find something as I have only seen one ex-demo but it's black which is fine but really want a silver, as a matter of interest where did £362 come from? I thought the CXA81 were £999

Our demo Hint 6 is in Silver finish and mint.

I think the OP in his opening post is referring to the H90 hence why I mentioned our price of £362 - “The Hegel 90 is actually cheaper than the CXA81 because i found a resealed one.”

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts