Recommendations for.......

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Need some advise/recommendations folks. Ok here goes, set up is as follows.....CA 650bd-->CA coxial-->DACmagic-->CA 900 series analogue cable-->CA 650a-->QED silver anniversary-->B&W 683. The problem I'm finding is the DACmagic seems to take the weight out of the base and when the volume is turned up, the treble is just to much. I've tried the setup without the DACmagic and base carried much more weight and the treble is much better, but, Surely the DACmagic should reproduce music much better than my 650bd?? If i was to change the speaker cable and, or the the cabling (coaxial/analogue) could this solve the problem??? If so, what would ppl recommend ?? Constructive comebacks preferred :-D

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 600 series can err on the side of brightness sometimes, depending on partnering electronics, but do make sure it's not your amp. Many amps will become edgey at higher volumes when they're running out of, or have ran out of steam, so if your CA can't cope properly with the B&W's (treat them as a 4ohm load), it could very well be the issue. Unless you've definitely narrowed down the bass issue at higher volumes to the DAC, this could also be down to the amplifier.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The Dacmagic and Blu-ray player you have both use different DACs and filters. It could just be that the two have different sounds. Also the signal path is longer if you use the Dacmagic with the extra cables. If you prefer the sound of the blu-ray why not use this instead. Have you tried experimenting with the filter settings on the Dacmagic?

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I've narrowed it down to the DACmagic. I never turned the volume passed half way when having it connected up using both with and without the DACmagic. The sound produced is very diffrent. With the DACmagic connected the sound is more spacious and realistic but without bass weight, also, when tweaking with the bass control and the DACmagic connected it has very little effect where as without the DACmagic connected I can literally feel the bass vibrating through my body when the volume is increased.

Idealy I'd prefer the DACmagic's sound if I could just find a way to get weight in the base and lower the treble when the volume is up. My 1st thought was to maybe change the cabling???

Thanks for the replies lads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts