Recommendations for Phono Amp

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
I am currently considering purchasing a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo which has an Ortofon red cartridge due to the favourable reviews I have read for the price point. I am also considering a Phono amp and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to what I might consider. I am considering up to £400 for the amp. I also wondered if I really needed one and if I would get noticeable benefits for a separate amp over my Yamaha RN803D built in Phono Amp. Thank you.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
If I was ever going to go back to vinyl (which I haven't entirely ruled out) I'd be looking at a njc audio reference series phono stage, I already own their dac and headphone amplifier, which are of excellent quality and sound superb. The phono stage is a bit over your £400 budget, but once you see the quality and the quality of service from the boys at njc you'll be impressed, Each product is built to order and comes with a three year warranty also the test measurements from your product are provided along with the instruction booklet which has your very own name on it, show me a company that goes to such lengths for a customer...if there is one, I'm sure their kit will be at the more extreme high end of the market.

Reactions: Dave B
I am currently considering purchasing a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo which has an Ortofon red cartridge due to the favourable reviews I have read for the price point. I am also considering a Phono amp and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to what I might consider. I am considering up to £400 for the amp. I also wondered if I really needed one and if I would get noticeable benefits for a separate amp over my Yamaha RN803D built in Phono Amp. Thank you.
Hello Dave,

With the Ortofon 2M Red the Yamaha should be fine. Once you upgrade to the Blue stylus, or consider a different cartridge, it might be worth checking out separate phono stages. However, you might be quite happy with the Red into your Yamaha for the foreseeable. The Red is the richest sounding of the 2M range, and it’s very popular because it’s easy to live with a doesn’t highlight less than perfect records too much.

So, my advice is just enjoy your new Pro-ject as it is, straight into your Yamaha for the time being.

Assuming that is the Ortofon 2M Red fitted them n it's a Moving magnet type cartridge and the phono preamp in your Yamaha will be more than sufficient.
if you have money to burn your best bet is to upgrade the cartridge itself, in my humble opinion.
if you simply must have a phono preamp then you don't need to waste money on one that caters for moving coil cartridges.

.....Looks like @nopiano beat me to it just.... :)
However, I disagree with his analysis of the Red, but it's a personal thing anyway, as to me the richest sounding of that range is the Bronze.
But, hey! That's hifi for you.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
If I was ever going to go back to vinyl (which I haven't entirely ruled out) I'd be looking at a njc audio reference series phono stage, I already own their dac and headphone amplifier, which are of excellent quality and sound superb. The phono stage is a bit over your £400 budget, but once you see the quality and the quality of service from the boys at njc you'll be impressed, Each product is built to order and comes with a three year warranty also the test measurements from your product are provided along with the instruction booklet which has your very own name on it, show me a company that goes to such lengths for a customer...if there is one, I'm sure their kit will be at the more extreme high end of the market.
Thank you!

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello Dave,

With the Ortofon 2M Red the Yamaha should be fine. Once you upgrade to the Blue stylus, or consider a different cartridge, it might be worth checking out separate phono stages. However, you might be quite happy with the Red into your Yamaha for the foreseeable. The Red is the richest sounding of the 2M range, and it’s very popular because it’s easy to live with a doesn’t highlight less than perfect records too much.

So, my advice is just enjoy your new Pro-ject as it is, straight into your Yamaha for the time being.
Thank you very much. Sounds like I should get the TT onboard and see if I am happy with the performance before jumping into a phono amp. Sounds a sensible way forward.

Reactions: nopiano

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Assuming that is the Ortofon 2M Red fitted them n it's a Moving magnet type cartridge and the phono preamp in your Yamaha will be more than sufficient.
if you have money to burn your best bet is to upgrade the cartridge itself, in my humble opinion.
if you simply must have a phono preamp then you don't need to waste money on one that caters for moving coil cartridges.

.....Looks like @nopiano beat me to it just.... :)
However, I disagree with his analysis of the Red, but it's a personal thing anyway, as to me the richest sounding of that range is the Bronze.
But, hey! That's hifi for you.
Thank you! Sounds like a sensible approach.

Reactions: Al ears
That’s a fair point, and maybe warmest, or even dullest, would be more accurate. It was definitely the least ‘open’ to my ears.

Now I’m going to bore Dave with a link to my old write-up about the Ortofon roadshow from a few years ago. The models haven’t changed though. (BTW, the sequence of some messages in that thread seemed to get scrambled while the forum was suspended, but nothing’s missing AFAIK, It’s more that some quotes appear before the original post!)

Reactions: Dave B and Al ears
That’s a fair point, and maybe warmest, or even dullest, would be more accurate. It was definitely the least ‘open’ to my ears.

Now I’m going to bore Dave with a link to my old write-up about the Ortofon roadshow from a few years ago. The models haven’t changed though. (BTW, the sequence of some messages in that thread seemed to get scrambled while the forum was suspended, but nothing’s missing AFAIK, It’s more that some quotes appear before the original post!)
nice to see it again.
I guess I am too accustomed to the sound of my low output MCs, it's all a very personal thing I feel when it comes to moving magnets.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Dave B
The worst advice I ever got on this forum was that the phono stage built into my integrated amplifier was good enough.
Cannot recall what you had at the time. There is a difference however between good and good enough.
turntables come fitted with cartridges that are just good enough for them to sell as a working package. Phono stages in most amplifiers bare there for the same reason.
In the OPs case he has the basic 2M Red and spending money on a separate phono stage isn't going to make it a better cartridge, in my opinion.
Perhaps he could try a MOFI Studiodeck if he intends to upgrade the cartridge in the future

Last edited:

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
It was a Roksan Kandy LIII.
You assume the 2M Red is limiting the performance of the built in phonostage; my guess is that it’s more than likely the other way round.
I would suggest trying some out over a couple of weeks before making a decision as to whether or not to make a purchase.

Dave B

Feb 16, 2022
Visit site
Hi All, thank you all for your valuable inputs. I have purchased a Debut Carbon Evo and a Pro-ject Tube Box S2 as I was offered a good deal for the package. I am delighted with the sound and ability to vary the amplifier gain. Thanks again. 😁

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS