Recommendations for inner sleeves

nwpsys

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Returning to vinyl after a break of 20+ years, I want to make sure I keep all my new purchases in pristine condition. I've been doing a lot of reading about inner sleeves and am just wondering what the current preferences are ?

The Mobile Fidelity sleeves have been getting a lot of flack for the more recent batches leaving a residue on the vinyl. Sadly the well favoured sleeves at sleevecity.com are prohibitively expensive when you add the shipping from the US.

I think I'd prefer a square sleeve rather than a shaped sleeve such as the Nagaoka No. 102.

Another brand I have seen on a lot of the UK online store are the Goldring / Milty ExStatic Inner Sleeves, but I have read that they are a tad oversized.

Any thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers,

Nige

nwpsys

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Alears,

It was one of the many forums I am now frequenting where someone mentioned when you put the Goldring sleeve into the record cover a bit of it sticks out ? If you have no such protuberance issues then that is good enough for me :)

Nige

Nige, I haven't bought any for years, but if the Nagaoka ones are 'record shaped' at the bottom, rather than square, then I used to find them harder to insert into the outer sleeve.

The MF ones were always the biz, but if there are issues then I'd go with sampling a few.

I used to get a lot of poly lined paper sleeves from the record companies 'back in the day' before CD, because many liners were paper only. I see they are still on sale, e.g on Amazon at £3.99 for 20, much cheaper than the branded stuff.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
nopiano said:
the Nagaoka ones are 'record shaped' at the bottom, rather than square, then I used to find them harder to insert into the outer sleeve.
I hate the Nagaoka ones for this reason and now, happily, use Goldring sleeves.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
ifor said:
nopiano said:
the Nagaoka ones are 'record shaped' at the bottom, rather than square, then I used to find them harder to insert into the outer sleeve.

Hate is a strong word.

Don't go there, it's not worth it...

Nagaoka's for me, the shape's never bothered me.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
It's not just the shape that i dislike. I find them really difficult to open to put the record back in' it's a bit like trying to open a brand new supermarket carrier bag. I tend to keep them in the cardboard inner sleeve, if there is one, and the shape means they partially rotate within it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Like you vinyl is back into my live after 25 year, who thought that would be possible...

I use the MOFY inner sleeves and love them, my Rega dealer represents them in Portugal so it's easy to me to buy them, bought this week a pack of 50 for 20 euros, each piece at 0,40 cents.

I'm cleaning myself all my vinyl record, just came across in a Potuguese forum with a cheap and simple solution to wash the records, I might just open a thread to share my findings.

I've tryed so many solutions and this one rocks all the other ones out of the ring!

Best REGArds

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ifor said:
The_Lhc said:
It's not just the shape that i dislike. I find them really difficult to open to put the record back in'

Really? I did 7 or 8 new ones last night (found a charity shop that had clearly taken in someone's discarded Blue Note collection, 50p each, immaculate!), no issues at all, might I recommend a good hand cream, put a bit of moisture back into your skin? I don't need it personally, greasy enough as it is...

it's a bit like trying to open a brand new supermarket carrier bag.

Grab the handles, pull them away from each other, you'll see a couple of pointy bits stick up just inside of the handles, open from there, easy!

I tend to keep them in the cardboard inner sleeve, if there is one, and the shape means they partially rotate within it.

They can do, if the original inner sleeve is creased especially but I've always found completely square ones fold at the corners anyway if you try to put them back into an original sleeve, so I think it's as broad as it's long.

The_Lhc said:
Paul Clarke said:
ifor said:
nopiano said:

Hate is a strong word.

Don't go there, it's not worth it...

Me neither, I quite like a well-rounded bottom (it's a personal thing!) :)

I find they are less likely to fold over and crease like square ones can on re-insertion.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ifor said:
I tend to keep them in the cardboard inner sleeve, if there is one, and the shape means they partially rotate within it.

They can do, if the original inner sleeve is creased especially but I've always found completely square ones fold at the corners anyway if you try to put them back into an original sleeve, so I think it's as broad as it's long.
The Goldring ones aren't completely square; the corners are cut away, so there's no folding of the corners. Also at the opening, one side is proud of the other which makes it very easy to pull them apart and insert the disk

nwpsys

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Collected my Goldrings from the Post Office today.

Easy to insert LP, easy to slide back into cover with no bunching, no overhang out of the cover as reported on another forum, so pretty much good all round.

Nige

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts