Recommendations for Blu-Ray surround sount system

AudioFan134

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I have had a Sony BDV-N7200W home cinema surround system for some while, but it proved faulty and I returned it. I am now wondering whether separates would be a better option in terms of sound quality. I am looking for 5.1 (or better) with upscaling Blu-Ray and min total output 1000W (or better). My only problem is the rear speakers can't be tallboy as I have limited room for them, even though the room itself is fairly large. I liked LG BH9540TW as an all in one but the speaker size ruled it out. Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted!

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
There's a few questions that'll be asked before people make recommendations.

Budget?

Size of room (not just 'big')?

Why 1000 watts or better? That would be 200w per channel, plus an active sub. (just how big is that room?)

Why do you need upscaling - will the TV already do this?

5.1 speaker, style or traditional?

So many questions, so many answers...

AudioFan134

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
... oops, should have been more forthcoming.

Budget?

Trying not to spend more than c£600 (ie cost of LG and Sony all in ones) but miight be able to go up a little for something spectacular

Size of room (not just 'big')?

Never measured it but total guess 120 sq ft

Why 1000 watts or better? That would be 200w per channel, plus an active sub. (just how big is that room?)

Based this on the fact the BDV-N7200 gave good sound quality at low volumes but could ramp it up satisfactorily loud when wanted!

Why do you need upscaling - will the TV already do this?

Trying to future proof.

5.1 speaker, style or traditional?

Not sure what you mean, but tallboys at back not possible.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
My answer are assuming separates.

With that size room I don't think you'll need that much power. I've got Denon AVR-X2200 rated at 125w per channel, in a room a bit larger than yours and have never had it anywhere near full volume.

I don't think you'll need to worry too much about the upscaling as just about all TV's, AVR's and BP's will have upscaling.

Traditional - think square boxs; Style think KEF (not in your price range but you get the idea)

I've just done a bit of googling and pricing my current setup, AVR - £289, Speakers - £249, Bluray - £169. Slightly over the £600 but you could go for a cheaper bluray which would bring it in budget.

These are only my suugestions and a system I find works well together and suits me. Sound and picture are excellent!

I'm sure others on here will have other suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts