Recommend me some speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello guys, first post on this forum. :wave:

I am looking to invest some money into a decent set of speakers. My budget is around 500 Great British Pounds.

My main concern is sound quality and I am mainly interested in listening to Metal, Rock and Dubstep.

A few questions:

Would an expensive Sound Card make much difference to the quality of sound produced by playing mp3s?

What are your opinions on subwoofers? Would I need one?

I really like the idea of having a heavy deep bass. Would it be better to get a set of speakers that already comes with a subwoofer? Or get a good set of speakers and a good subwoofer seperatly?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

just to help out the others that will help after me...

Are you using a PC/Laptop as your source (i.e. this will be where you music comes from, rather than a CD player etc)?

Does your £500 include buying the sub?

What kind of room will they be in?

A

Anonymous

Lee H said:
Hi,

just to help out the others that will help after me...

Are you using a PC/Laptop as your source (i.e. this will be where you music comes from, rather than a CD player etc)?

Does your £500 include buying the sub?

What kind of room will they be in?

I will be using PC/Laptop as the primary source and an ipod as a secondary from time to time.

£500 is for the whole set. I will be able to go a bit over, if it means that I'll be getting a good sub as well.

They will be used in a pretty large bedroom most of the time.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If your main concern is sound firs things first I would look at your source, MP3 music sounds flat and lifeless and often lacks detail, some of the high bit rate is OK but you'd be far better served looking at something such as FLAC. Ripping your collection to FLAC can be time consuming but doesn't cost you anything and gets you on the right track from the off.

A sound card or DAC may improve things but I don't know what you're using now so hard to say.

In terms of speakers something from the B&W 600 series could be ideal, I have a pair of 602's stand mounts and despite being stand mounts they produce very good bass for a 2-way speaker. If you don't mind buying used something like the 603's or 604's could give you a big scale and bass you're looking for.

For subs try the BK Elec subs, the Monolith for less than £500 will give you huge bass. speakers that come with subs in a 2.1 set-up tend to be from the cheaper end of the market such as PC speakers, I think you'd better avoiding these. Do you already have some speakers? If you want quality AND big bass I'd put all the £500 either in to adding the sub or all on the speakers, don't spread your money too thin. Depending on what you already have some big B&W's would be a great start and then adding a Monolith down the line will make you smile if you like Dub Step.

A

Anonymous

lamborman said:
I am looking to invest some money into a decent set of speakers. My budget is around 500 Great British Pounds.

You're also going to need some amplification, or have I missed something? mp3 files from a laptop won't deliver great quality, so if your budget is £500, then may be something like Squeezebox Touch + Active 2.1 speaker setup might be worth looking into. SBT is £200 ish so £300+ available for active speakers (active means speakers include the amp).

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Eheheheeheheh..., as you can see every one is looking to spend and go over your budget, the best for you and "us" is you to tive "us" all the information Needed... For exemple: your amp as a sub output? If not the BK subs can be very handy because they have two inputs, High Level 100K ohm unbalanced via Neutrik Speakon connector Low level 10K unbalanced via gold plated RCA connectors. And about the speakers, do you want floorstanding or standmounts... And as you say your prImary sourse will be a PC, do you have a DAC...?

Chefes

A

Anonymous

Guys I have no Kit whatsoever.... Just my Laptop and mp3 files on that laptop.

How do I go about getting better quality files? DO I need to buy the CDs and rip them into quality files, as opposed to downloading mp3s?

Also what will an amplifier achieve?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts