Recommend me some headphones - Allrounders, no amp required.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
fr0g said:
OneBoxSystem said:
fr0g said:
Let it lie Dale. Seriously, mountain, meet molehill.

As I said, you always have to have the last word, don't you.
smiley-laughing.gif
You let it lie, your problem is obviously with Dale and anyone who disagrees with you or agrees with Dale.

It was my thread, asking for headphone recommendations, so I feel fairly entitled to have the last word (which it seems that you also seem to want even though you haven't added anything remotely constructive, such as a headphone recommendation).

I honestly don't care if you agree with Dale, and I have no "problem" with Dale, other than the fact that in this case he and you are massively overreacting to essentially nothing about a perceived lack of manners in accordance with your own personal "Little book of P's and Q's"

MY thread? My, how childish that sounds. I believe you are over-reacting, dear fr0g. Why recommend to someone with no manners? Yours, Chip.

BenLaw said:
Mature. I like the way you edited your post 20 minutes later to add more guff to try and wind someone up.

I was tempering my words, to be honest. It wasn't 20 minutes later - and, what's it got to do with you if I edit? None of your buisness to be honest. I'm not winding anyone up, just making my point. Are you a moderator? No. Well, your post sounds really mature - guff to wind someone up?

jiFfM.jpg

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Quite funny how this thread has gone all 'Out with the handbags!'. Had something similar happen with me in another thread on here. Figured I let things lie as life is too short to deal with things like this.

------

Fr0g... back on topic..... found any headphones yet?

I'm currently down to two for my next purchase.... Bowers P7 and Sony XBA H3.

Will wait for a few more reviews to appear first on the interwebby, and then make a decision. Will also need to see that my dumbo ears fit in the P7 if I choose that route.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bobshek said:
Quite funny how this thread has gone all 'Out with the handbags!'. Had something similar happen with me in another thread on here. Figured I let things lie as life is too short to deal with things like this.

------

Fr0g... back on topic..... found any headphones yet?

I'm currently down to two for my next purchase.... Bowers P7 and Sony XBA H3.

Will wait for a few more reviews to appear first on the interwebby, and then make a decision. Will also need to see that my dumbo ears fit in the P7 if I choose that route.

Not tested any just yet (been full of a cold, so not in any position to evaluate them).

Shall get around to it soon. :)

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
For the record, on each of your two posts you had only written the first sentence and you added the rest many minutes later. People can judge for themselves whether the intent of that and the rest of your posts was to wind fr0g up. If you think whether 15 minutes or 20 minutes had passed is significant then I'm struggling to agree.

I have no intent to wind anyone up. Simple right to reply with my comments, edited when and written when I like.

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
@ OneBoxSystem I'm not sure why you are persistently trolling this thread but, why don't you just recommend your WeSC headphones and be on your way ;-)

I've already done that.
smiley-smile.gif
I'll 'stay' if I like thank you. This is not trolling, merely sticking up for my rights. Trolling is bad-mouthing - something I've not done but others appear to have. Seems to be a little clique of them all protecting each other too.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Here's me seeing more posts and wondering if there had been any more recommendations...Nope.

John, could you close the thread, I have the info I want and this is going nowhere...cheers fellah.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ah well, he didn't close it... Anyway, after an unusually long bout of both flu and cold I cleared up and went to test some headphones.

I used my works iPhone for testing with no eq.

In the end I have settled on the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Very comfy. Totally no need to equalise IMO and pretty much spot-on. I could have had them then if I had gone with the pinky colour, so it's next week... :) They are a little bass-prominent, but it suits what I generally listen to and it doesn't detract from the mids and highs imo.

I liked the sound of both Momentums. The main problem with the over-ears was that they aren't over ears, so a little uncomfy. Both great headphones though.

I am though now tempted to upgrade my home phones from HD 595 to something more esoteric. I do like those, very much mind you, so it would have to be a major upgrade...but that's a potential future thread :)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Today I have heard the best sound I have ever heard, and it doesn't come that way from the box. I got the B&O H3 from the Apple store, which sounded weird when I tried it. BTW, it's the one and only IEM that fit perfectly first insertion, and never got loose after hours of wearing. Never felt like anything was in my ears either, and I had a perfect bass seal.

I ran the test tones and the emphasis went from about plus 2 at 2 khz to about plus 15 at 5 khz, then rolled off above that. The emphasis at 5 khz was unlike anything I ever heard on a headphone, so, I thought this was a disaster, and started playing with iTunes EQ's. After some research and experimentation, I found that the 'Deep' setting smoothed out the treble reducing the nasty peak, and above that the extension was still so good it beat the Shure 1540.

After a few hours on the 'Deep' setting, a setting I've never used with a headphone, and playing over 100 tracks, I kept hearing the most natural, smooth, liquid-sounding musical tone I've ever experienced in hi-fi. If all of the H3's sound like this, I'd encourage anyone to find an H3 and try it like I did. I won't concern myself that anyone won't try the EQ, since the sound is way off the mark when played flat. Way off!

I've had a few IEMs, and currently the Sennheiser IE800, plus this H3.

So there it is (review later), a perfect fit and a perfect sound. That completely non-irritating treble - like a 1540 with more extension but the same treble signature, a bass nearly the same as the 1540, and an unbelievably liquid midrange. Just amazing. And it comes with a very spiffy carrycase box.

A

Anonymous

dalethorn said:
Today I have heard the best sound I have ever heard, and it doesn't come that way from the box. I got the B&O H3 from the Apple store, which sounded weird when I tried it. BTW, it's the one and only IEM that fit perfectly first insertion, and never got loose after hours of wearing. Never felt like anything was in my ears either, and I had a perfect bass seal. I ran the test tones and the emphasis went from about plus 2 at 2 khz to about plus 15 at 5 khz, then rolled off above that. The emphasis at 5 khz was unlike anything I ever heard on a headphone, so, I thought this was a disaster, and started playing with iTunes EQ's. After some research and experimentation, I found that the 'Deep' setting smoothed out the treble reducing the nasty peak, and above that the extension was still so good it beat the Shure 1540. After a few hours on the 'Deep' setting, a setting I've never used with a headphone, and playing over 100 tracks, I kept hearing the most natural, smooth, liquid-sounding musical tone I've ever experienced in hi-fi. If all of the H3's sound like this, I'd encourage anyone to find an H3 and try it like I did. I won't concern myself that anyone won't try the EQ, since the sound is way off the mark when played flat. Way off! I've had a few IEMs, and currently the Sennheiser IE800, plus this H3. So there it is (review later), a perfect fit and a perfect sound. That completely non-irritating treble - like a 1540 with more extension but the same treble signature, a bass nearly the same as the 1540, and an unbelievably liquid midrange. Just amazing. And it comes with a very spiffy carrycase box.

Nice one Dale, Thanks. Looking forward to full review.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Mad month plus update...

I tested loads. Liked the Momentum on-ears best. Suit me down to the ground.

Asked the Hi-Fi retailer if he had any other than the pink...No, we can get them...

Ok, I'll have black, thanks.

2, 3 weeks later...He phones...We got blue, or brown...

No thanks I want black.

We'll call you back...

So, a mate had a discount code.

Got them online from a trusted, large retailer, for £130.

I wouldn't normally test at a shop then do the dirty, but a month, waiting for probably the most popular colour..Sod it...

So, Momentum (on-ear) on the way...

YAY!

iceman16

fr0g said:
Mad month plus update...

I tested loads. Liked the Momentum on-ears best. Suit me down to the ground.

Asked the Hi-Fi retailer if he had any other than the pink...No, we can get them...

Ok, I'll have black, thanks.

2, 3 weeks later...He phones...We got blue, or brown...

No thanks I want black.

We'll call you back...

So, a mate had a discount code.

Got them online from a trusted, large retailer, for £130.

I wouldn't normally test at a shop then do the dirty, but a month, waiting for probably the most popular colour..Sod it...

So, Momentum (on-ear) on the way...

YAY!

:cheers:

pi-electronics

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I recently got an headphone called Piduet and the sound quality is perfect. The super bass and noise cancellation also performance good in the use. The built-in microphone can let me make a clear phone call in a noise environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts