Recommend me some headphones - Allrounders, no amp required.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok.

I am mulling over the options here. I was intending to upgrade my Ikon 6s, but for the moment it makes no sense, so I am putting aside £400 to get myself some headphones that will improve on what I already have.

I am currently sitting alone, late at night listening on my Shure SE215 in-ears, and they are pretty good.

Now, they are directly into my laptop, or phone...and I really don't want to be faffing with amps at all.

SO,

Can I realistically improve, substancially. In-ear preferably, or closed back possibly, for direct laptop use? (or iPhone, Android, Winpho, Creative)

By the way the laptop seems to have a pretty good output (Asus G73).

Or is it not worth it?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
Ok. I am mulling over the options here. I was intending to upgrade my Ikon 6s, but for the moment it makes no sense, so I am putting aside £400 to get myself some headphones that will improve on what I already have. I am currently sitting alone, late at night listening on my Shure SE215 in-ears, and they are pretty good. Now, they are directly into my laptop, or phone...and I really don't want to be faffing with amps at all. SO, Can I realistically improve, substancially. In-ear preferably, or closed back possibly, for direct laptop use? (or iPhone, Android, Winpho, Creative). By the way the laptop seems to have a pretty good output (Asus G73). Or is it not worth it?

I can't guess exactly what the improvement would be, but the B&O H6 is the best overall sound I've heard in my latest 2 years of reviewing headphones. I don't trust most reviews because they are selling product, and I don't sell or get freebies.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
fr0g said:
Ok. I am mulling over the options here. I was intending to upgrade my Ikon 6s, but for the moment it makes no sense, so I am putting aside £400 to get myself some headphones that will improve on what I already have. I am currently sitting alone, late at night listening on my Shure SE215 in-ears, and they are pretty good. Now, they are directly into my laptop, or phone...and I really don't want to be faffing with amps at all. SO, Can I realistically improve, substancially. In-ear preferably, or closed back possibly, for direct laptop use? (or iPhone, Android, Winpho, Creative). By the way the laptop seems to have a pretty good output (Asus G73). Or is it not worth it?

I can't guess exactly what the improvement would be, but the B&O H6 is the best overall sound I've heard in my latest 2 years of reviewing headphones. I don't trust most reviews because they are selling product, and I don't sell or get freebies.

Interesting idea. I had really wanted in-ears first. And with the lack of replies was umming and ahhing over Shure 535, Senn i80 and Entymotic ER4.

Had kind of settled on the idea of the i80s with the variable bass. And they are well below budget.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronic music, and it's important I get that from them (when it's there).

Oh and as long as I can avoid that horrid brown leather too :)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
Interesting idea. I had really wanted in-ears first. And with the lack of replies was umming and ahhing over Shure 535, Senn i80 and Entymotic ER4. Had kind of settled on the idea of the i80s with the variable bass. And they are well below budget. I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronic music, and it's important I get that from them (when it's there). Oh and as long as I can avoid that horrid brown leather too :)

The H6 comes in black which is good. BTW, I have the Sennheiser IE800, but don't use it but rarely because of the difficulty keeping it in and sealed. I do really like the single driver, which puts out a much purer sound than the multi-driver IEM's with their crossovers. The soundstage isn't wide, but it's deep and has a reality that must be heard to appreciate. And then there's the bass - the IE800 has real authority in the bass, so when you have something that's demanding, it plays it full strength with a clarity that has to be rare in headphones and earphones.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Can't justify the price for the 800s.

What would be the best in-ear single driver headphone within budget IYO?

A

Anonymous

Please and thank you would be nice fr0g.
smiley-smile.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
smiley-smile.gif

Please go away unless you have something to contribute...Thank you...

Seriously though, where exactly do you *think* I could have said "please" or "thank you" in my above posts. I am genuinely interested.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I must admit, Dalthorn, I am now going to include the Momentum on-ear in my maybe list. Well under budget and possibly what I am looking for. I would have preferred in-ears, but smaller on-ears could work.

The reviews of the B&O I have found have put me off somewhat and there isn't a local stockist.

re: the Momentums, I notice in your review that they need EQing? Not something easy to do in Spotify of course.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
smiley-smile.gif

In my opinion this is a good reminder that the people who help out here are unpaid and offer quality advice at the expense of their own time. I'm surprised sometimes at the demands some users make, thinking perhaps that this is part of a retail outlet? - where the advice is pre-sale support? It's not, and it's free only as long as the folks here are appreciated for what they try to do.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
Ok.

I am mulling over the options here. I was intending to upgrade my Ikon 6s, but for the moment it makes no sense, so I am putting aside £400 to get myself some headphones that will improve on what I already have.

I am currently sitting alone, late at night listening on my Shure SE215 in-ears, and they are pretty good.

Now, they are directly into my laptop, or phone...and I really don't want to be faffing with amps at all.

SO,

Can I realistically improve, substancially. In-ear preferably, or closed back possibly, for direct laptop use? (or iPhone, Android, Winpho, Creative)

Or is it not worth it?

The problem is you are going to be limited by your source material which I believe for you is predominantly MP3's. £400 headphones would be wasted without good source material and amplification.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
fr0g said:
Ok.

SO,

Or is it not worth it?
The problem is you are going to be limited by your source material which I believe for you is predominantly MP3's. £400 headphones would be wasted without good source material and amplification.

I believe MP3 at a high bitrate is audibly indistinguishable from CD. So source material is a non-issue. The amplifier or lack of is an issue though and why I want low impedance headphones.

Okedoke

Nov 2, 2004
Visit site
Agree with the limited returns element of this. I listen to music from my Macbook on Klipsch (former award winning in ear headphones)...They sound good and a step up from the Shure's which I've had before, but a bit flimsy and easy to break/wear.

You may be better off putting £200 in to a DAC like the dragonfly and then adding the headphones.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
I believe MP3 at a high bitrate is audibly indistinguishable from CD.

It could be if: 1) The MP3 is ripped from the CD or from a bit-perfect WAV file as a 320k CBR MP3 using the best LAME codec, and 2) A lower quality DAC is used so as not to reveal the missing bits in the upper harmonics. The HRT Microstreamer is as good as it gets in USB-powered DAC/amps (which mostly sound the same), and it would reveal the difference on a close compare with a good headphone like the B&O H6.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
fr0g said:
I believe MP3 at a high bitrate is audibly indistinguishable from CD.

It could be if: 1) The MP3 is ripped from the CD or from a bit-perfect WAV file as a 320k CBR MP3 using the best LAME codec, and 2) A lower quality DAC is used so as not to reveal the missing bits in the upper harmonics. The HRT Microstreamer is as good as it gets in USB-powered DAC/amps (which mostly sound the same), and it would reveal the difference on a close compare with a good headphone like the B&O H6.

To be honest, I think anything above about 220 k VBR is audibly transparent. I tend to rip to 320 anyway, and use LAME through dbPoweramp.

I also rip a FLAC version at the same time, and above 220 I cannot ABX the 2 files. But either way, 90% of my listening is Spotify, which I believe is 320 Kbps OGG.

I disagree with the "low quality DAC" comment. I don't believe there is a huge difference between DACs, whether it be a £150 Beresford (of which I have 2), or some mad £10,000 esoteric DAC (which I believe to be a complete waste of money).

I am listening on my laptop now though, and while a USB DAC "may" improve quality, it doesn't need amplification. It goes way louder than I could safely listen to on my Shure 215s.

But all this is by the by and opinion. My current "need" is to find a set of headphones which will improve on my 215s (sans DAC/amp )and cost less than £400, and preferably less than £300, whilst giving me the bass oomph I like, when needed.

I'd love to try the B and O s but there are none near me. So I am looking at Shure 535, Sennheiser ie80 or Momentum on-ear, and maybe the Amperior.

I may just take a gamble, and if I am not entirely happy then I'll leave them at work and use them there! :)

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
Ok.

SO,

Or is it not worth it?
A please and a thank you could have easily been inserted. I don't like your tone - plain manners are just asked for. Thank you.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could always get a pair of headphones and upgrade later on with an amp/DAC combo. Pretty cheap from Project with the headphone box s USB, or more expensive with the Lehmann Linear USB.

Great headphones I've heard recently are the old favourites from Beyerdynamic, the dt880 and dt990, as well as the T series. Or, and it may surprise you, something like the aiaiai tma-1 which I loved, the young guru edition was extremely comfortable too. Not overbassed but very very good across the range, and stunning with something like Exceeder by Mason.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
I believe MP3 at a high bitrate is audibly indistinguishable from CD......To be honest, I think anything above about 220 k VBR is audibly transparent.

Unfortunately, as this site is 'WhatHiFi' rather than 'WhatLoFi', saying that you believe MP3 is indistinguishable from CD puts you at odds with virtually the entire hi-fi establishment. I realize there is a lot of traffic on headphone forums that advocate lo-fi listening, and it's no offense to choose such a thing, but realize that MP3's are certainly distinguishable from CD when you have a quality headphone and amp.

Don't forget also that the people who answer your questions are not getting paid by anyone, so you do owe them a please and thank you.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
fr0g said:
I believe MP3 at a high bitrate is audibly indistinguishable from CD......To be honest, I think anything above about 220 k VBR is audibly transparent.

Unfortunately, as this site is 'WhatHiFi' rather than 'WhatLoFi', saying that you believe MP3 is indistinguishable from CD puts you at odds with virtually the entire hi-fi establishment. I realize there is a lot of traffic on headphone forums that advocate lo-fi listening, and it's no offense to choose such a thing, but realize that MP3's are certainly distinguishable from CD when you have a quality headphone and amp.

Don't forget also that the people who answer your questions are not getting paid by anyone, so you do owe them a please and thank you.

I believe 220 VBR and above "is" Hi-fi.It's at this point it becomes indistinguishable imo. And I have yet to see anyone succesfully ABX that. However, I rip FLAC too.

I am genuinely thankful for advice given too, but not when please and thanks is begged for. I have myself given lots of advice over the years, and never once have I or would I have explicitely asked for people to be grateful. I am of the belief that people give advice as it's what they enjoy doing. Otherwise what's the point?

And maybe there is a cultural difference here. I for one do not like the US "gushing with thanks" style. It feels totally fake like the sickly awards ceremonies such as the Oscars.

As to my original request. I am simply after the best portable option for use without an amp. For the moment I am perfectly happy with my Shure 215s, but I believe I can improve that.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
fr0g said:

I believe 220 VBR and above "is" Hi-fi.It's at this point it becomes indistinguishable imo. And I have yet to see anyone succesfully ABX that. However, I rip FLAC too.

But I also believe that " virtually the entire hi-fi establishment" is a sham. People claiming Vinyl is better, that HD audio makes any difference, that cables make a difference etc etc.

II am genuinely thankful for advice given too, but not when please and thanks is begged for. I have myself given lots of advice over the years, and never once have I or would I have explicitely asked for people to be grateful. I am of the belief that people give advice as it's what they enjoy doing. Otherwise what's the point?

And maybe there is a cultural difference here. I for one do not like the US "gushing with thanks" style. It feels totally fake like the sickly awards ceremonies such as the Oscars.

However, as I said, I am grateful for advice, and especially if it leads to a successful purchase.

As to my original request. I am simply after the best portable option for use without an amp. For the moment I am perfectly happy with my Shure 215s, but I believe I can improve that.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
There is a substantial difference between Spotify and a CD. That is Spotify at 320 played through the DAC of my CD player, same speakers, amp etc. A very noticeable difference.

However, I play a lot of internet radio, Spotify, more so than CDs these days to be honest and 320mbps is just fine unless you want to really get the last ounce out of listening with no other distractions.

From what you have said I would highly recommend the AIAIAI TMA-1, really. At home or on the move via iTunes or whatever, this sounds wonderful for your type of music.

A

Anonymous

I don't recall begging for a please and a thank you. It's just common courtesy. And as for your veiled attack on everyone US side culturally, well, why not act grateful and say the words, it costs nothing. It's a sad world when manners are forgotten. Oh, and why rip to FLAC if it simply comsumes storage and gives no benefits, the argument is flawed.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
dalethorn said:
fr0g said:

But I also believe that " virtually the entire hi-fi establishment" is a sham. People claiming Vinyl is better, that HD audio makes any difference, that cables make a difference etc etc.

II am genuinely thankful for advice given too, but not when please and thanks is begged for. I have myself given lots of advice over the years, and never once have I or would I have explicitely asked for people to be grateful. I am of the belief that people give advice as it's what they enjoy doing. Otherwise what's the point?

However, as I said, I am grateful for advice, and especially if it leads to a successful purchase.

Disinformation and straw-man arguments don't win your points. MP3 chops off highs that some people can hear even if you can't. If you don't understand that look up what happens to high frequencies with MP3s. As to the begging, you write your own ticket with your rudeness - call it a wish fulfilled. You get just what you wished for.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
I don't recall begging for a please and a thank you. It's just common courtesy. And as for your veiled attack on everyone US side culturally, well, why not act grateful and say the words, it costs nothing. It's a sad world when manners are forgotten. Oh, and why rip to FLAC if it simply comsumes storage and gives no benefits, the argument is flawed.
There is no "vieled attack", I was pointing out a cultural difference.One man's gushing is another's normality.For me it's gushing. As I said, there may be cultural differences. For me, before you popped along with your fairly (to me) misplaced first post, I did not consider there was any place in which I had been rude, or omitted "the words".

And I rip to FLAC for future transcoding purposes.

dalethorn said:
Disinformation and straw-man arguments don't win your points. MP3 chops off highs that some people can hear even if you can't. If you don't understand that look up what happens to high frequencies with MP3s. As to the begging, you write your own ticket with your rudeness - call it a wish fulfilled. You get just what you wished for.

Ah we are getting there. There is no staw-man, or in fact disinformation (we will have to agree to differ maybe on that). I haven't once said "It is impossible that anyone can differentiate at 220 VBR, although I do believe that for more than 99% that holds true.

No, I know exactly what happens to high frequencies. They get lopped off. But considering I can't hear anything above around 16 KHz (I've tested it), then it's irrelevant.

And quite frankly I am bemused with the idea that you think I have been rude to you. And the whole tone of this reply is bizarre. "I get what I wished for".... really?

That's a rather overblown response to someone who is simply interested in people's views on some headphones.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim said:
There is a substantial difference between Spotify and a CD. That is Spotify at 320 played through the DAC of my CD player, same speakers, amp etc. A very noticeable difference.

Have you tried ripping to both FLAC and MP3 and ABXing? I think you may get a surprise.

JoelSim said:
However, I play a lot of internet radio, Spotify, more so than CDs these days to be honest and 320mbps is just fine unless you want to really get the last ounce out of listening with no other distractions.

From what you have said I would highly recommend the AIAIAI TMA-1, really. At home or on the move via iTunes or whatever, this sounds wonderful for your type of music.

Ah, That's another to the list, cheers. I see our local HifiKlubben have these. I had written them off as another lifestyle products like Beats...:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts