Recommend me a CD player for this setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My ancient Marantz CD player is on its last legs, so it's time to replace it. I have a Quad 33/303, Rega Planar 3 and Monitor Audio S6s. I'm looking to spend £300-400 and am not averse to reconditioned/used kit.

Cheers

Doug

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, Andrew. I know Billy Vee (a fine place) and those deals look interesting. I had been pondering players like the Rega Apollo, Creek EVO and Marantz SA7001 - there seems to be more choice than ever in this price bracket.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Andrew. I have one last question: with models several years old (like the Linn Mimik) is there any reason to think that they have been surpassed by advances in CD players in the intervening years?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fishwick"]
I have one last question: with models several years old (like the Linn Mimik) is there any reason to think that they have been surpassed by advances in CD players in the intervening years?

[/quote]

No huge advances in recent times, Fishwick - if you like the sound of one of these older players, I'd buy with confidence.

T

the record spot

If it's of any help - and not too late by now - I'd been eyeing up the Mimik in Billy Vee's ad, but at the earlier price of £395 as it had been. I found one in Edinburgh for £295 (hello Retro Reproductions!) and picked it up when I was back home a few weeks ago.

To echo Andrew's comments, buy with confidence - mine is a 1994 model, it's not upgradeable (some of the later models are however) and you can always check with Linn if you go for it.

It's a lovely machine - build quality is excellent, although the tray itself may appear a little flimsy but I'm comparing this with my old Kenwood DP7090 which enjoyed battleship build. No lightweight though, it is substantial in all other respects and won't fall to bits.

Soundwise, mine took a week or so to warm up, but there is a depth of scale your £279 won't get you anywhere else, bearing in mind this is an £800/£900, as was, player we're talking about here.

Good clarity, detailed, but not overwhelmingly so. Music blends, yet complex works (large scale orchestral for instance) are presented in a way my earlier player struggled to by comparison. Instruments are well defined and 'placed' in the soundstage.

Highly recommended, a steal for the money and you have the added security of not only a warranty with Billy Vee's offer, which I think was true at the time, but ongoing back-up if need be, from Linn.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Fishwick, I would spend an extra £100 and get a Linn Genki (many 2nd hand samples out there for £400).
I have had many CDPs in my hifi's life including Classe ,exposure and higher end Musical fidelity. I rated my old genki with the very best of them! It's a giants killer in many sense. I thought it was a bargain at £1000 a few years back and now you can buy it for £400, it's should be on a "must de-mo" list.

A

Anonymous

Hello chaps

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. The Mimik at Billy Vee had gone, and I ended up getting a Naim CD 3.5 and Flatcap power supply for £450 (£300 + £150). Should be here any day now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts