Rear ported speaker placement

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
been taking a look at Castle Knight 1 speakers which are rear ported. Saw in another review that it was suggested that they like a bit of space. The most I can give them is 12 inches from rear wall at a push. Just like to know whither you think this is to near or would it be better to stick with front port speakers.
Cheers

A

Anonymous

12 inches is more than enough

I've heard them closer to a rear wall and they were fine...

If boxed into a corner then it'd be different but just with a wall behind them they'll be fine ;)

T

the record spot

jonomd said:
been taking a look at Castle Knight 1 speakers which are rear ported. Saw in another review that it was suggested that they like a bit of space. The most I can give them is 12 inches from rear wall at a push. Just like to know whither you think this is to near or would it be better to stick with front port speakers. Cheers

If you've not purchased them yet, try and check out the Tannoys I have in my signature line below. Similar size, but a tad more open and spacious with music. I demoed both the other week and the Tannoys took it, albeit that the Castles are very good for the money.

jonomd said:
been taking a look at Castle Knight 1 speakers which are rear ported. Saw in another review that it was suggested that they like a bit of space. The most I can give them is 12 inches from rear wall at a push. Just like to know whither you think this is to near or would it be better to stick with front port speakers. Cheers

These will be superb close to the wall, despite being rear ported. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruark-Sabre-Mahogany-Hard-Wood-Finish-Pair-Matched-Hi-Fi-Speakers-/230728241776?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5521542622295968977

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Good to there is some flexability with the castles placement. Actually have a pair of old tannoy m1s. Quite liked them musically but they are quite are limited. Using Dali lektors at moment which are ok but never really took to and really need to be cranked up to get best of them. Dont think the dalis are best of matches with amp either ( Talk electronics storm). Got speakers before amp.

Not familiar with tannoy dc4 though. Could be worth a look as I always liked the tannoy sound. I believe the castle matches quite well to the Talk amp though.

Cheers:cheers:

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Could be worth a look. Wrong end of the country so would need to be posted. Not to familiar with speaker market. Looking for speakers that can perform reasonably well at low volumes.

Cheers

jonomd said:
Could be worth a look. Wrong end of the country so would need to be posted. Not to familiar with speaker market. Looking for speakers that can perform reasonably well at low volumes.

Cheers

Not familiar with Talk amps, but if they have a smoothish, fullbodied sound they will match well. The Sabres are one of the best sub-1,000 pound standmounter I've heard.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, from another review the talk was described as open, transparent and slightly warm. A comparison was similar properties to a late 90's naim nait but with a bit more warmth. Never heard naim myself though.

Thanks

jonomd said:
Hi, from another review the talk was described as open, transparent and slightly warm. A comparison was similar properties to a late 90's naim nait but with a bit more warmth. Never heard naim myself though.

Thanks

My experience of Naim, unless you partner it with a smooth source are pretty attacking, but the Sabres do like a smooth amp (Arcam, Creek, early Yamaha etc.), so TBH not sure. If the Talk Electronics is fairly smooth or warm it should be okay.

Get that right, and the Sabres are as good as any at the price, including PMC DB1is.

A

Anonymous

how would they match with the Pulse PP?

might be worth a punt if the OP is not interested in them

Matt

matthaskell said:
how would they match with the Pulse PP?

might be worth a punt if the OP is not interested in them

Matt

TBVH, no idea. I would assume, given my smooth sources, it should be okay. The main reason why I haven't considered them for my system is because they are rather bass-light, hence why they work so well close to the wall. I'm no bass head, but after 5 years of RS6s I'm pretty sure they won't satisfy over a long period.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The Sabres are likely to have much tighter, and controlled bass (even when placed close to the walls) and better integration between the treble and mid-bass drivers. they should 'sound' a lot better than the 602's, unless you like lots of bass.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons i was looking at the castle is that it can smooth over the edginess that my present system has with many recordings. Im sure the talk is a fairly forward sounding amp. In this case not sure the ruark would be the best move. Not really much information on these amps so being a bit experimental. The only reviews i saw they used the PMC you mentioned as well as someone else using the castle knight.

good to know about other alternatives out there.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts