*Really* tiny hifi stereo speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly, hi all :)

Secondly, do any hifi manufacturers produce really tiny stereo speakers, for use without a subwoofer?

I'm looking for some really small speakers to replace the PC speakers next to my monitor. I don't need much bass or volume, as I realise my size restrictions preclude both of those. (Passive speakers are fine, I have amps.)

Any speaker with more than a 3" driver is likely to be too big - it simply won't fit on the desk. So I'll be happy with something which is well-built, and sounds good within the limitations of its size. Anything which avoids the usual flappy/tizzy sound of PC speakers will be an improvement anyway.

I'm definitely looking for a size which is a class below the usual £100 bookshelf/entry level speakers.

Basically, what are the smallest good quality stereo speakers on the market at the moment?

A

Anonymous

Thanks - that's the sort of thing (and £250, that's fine). But.. it's still a little large, especially the front to back depth. A couple of inches off that and it would be great!

Anything smaller?

A

Anonymous

ALR/Jordan used to do a pair of very small speakers, think they were about 22cm tall, Entry S was the model name. They were about £180 new iirc.

http://www.alr-jordan.com/en/topnavigation/entry.html

There's a pair of the newer model Si on ebay at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, but they're still larger than I'm hoping for. They're almost 8 inches front to back, and I simply don't have that space on the desk.

The PC speakers I'm hoping to replace are 4" wide, 7" high, and crucially only 4.5" deep.

A

Anonymous

Then you should try Creative Gigaworks T20

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=28&product=14299

A

Anonymous

Or if those are still too deep, I use some Logitech speakers with my PC, they are only about 2 1/2 inches deep and they arent tizzy. I got them on ebay for £20 but I think they're about £40 in the shops.

A

Anonymous

Thanks - I already knew those T20 speakers existed; but it seems traditional manufacturers don't make anything that small then? I'd prefer classic hifi speakers made of wood and metal, just in miniature.

A

Anonymous

Good luck then, I don't think you'll find any, unless you perhaps use some surround speakers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mr_wazoo"]
Good luck then, I don't think you'll find any, unless you perhaps use some surround speakers.

[/quote]
I gave up since last night!

A

Anonymous

This is the smallest I know of... only reaches down to 120Hz though, so minimal bass.

A

Anonymous

I'd second the recommendation for Monitor Audio radius 90, lovely mini monitors, but seems they may be too large for you. A system I use with my main PC to get good quality sound may be of interest, but it uses a fairly discreet sub. TDK s80. They use small NXT panels. Don't be put off by the look/general use as computer monitors as they'll deliver very good sound (with sub). I'll get burnt at the stake for mentioning it on this forum, but Hifi World reviewed it a couple of years back and consider it to give the quality of that can rival a £500 pair of speakers. TDK have updated the design, but likely it will sound much the same (don't hold me to that without checking). The sound is different from conventional speakers, very unboxy. I feed it audio from my pc by using a USB digital converter to deliver a digital signal into an external DAC, then the TDK. Sound is very musical, wide sounstage, punchy. And it cost me peanuts when I bought it reduced from Maplins.

Check out HFW link: http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/bgspeakers.html

A

Anonymous

Hiya,

My Pure evoke DAB radio has an extension speaker which is excellent and they cost about £30 each

A

Anonymous

They may be too big, but the Q Acoustics 1010 bookshelf speakers are highly rated.

L

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts