Really disappointed by Audio technica ath-msr7

robdmarsh

As the title says, I picked these up cheaply and boy do I not like them, even for the price I paid. They sound congested and airless with a lifeless upper bass and a unpleasant hump in the upper-mids. The much lauded soundstage I cannot get either.

It's strange because I have the old m50s (fixed wire) which I love but the earpads are going and the headband too. Seeing the reviews of the msr7s I thought they'd be right up my street. I'm not really typcial of an m50s fan, that is to say a bass head, but I thought these just had ample and very good bass and an exciting but not fatiguing sound. I don't do fancy lossless files and headphone amps, just an ipod classic and 320kps mp3 and the m50s sounded just fine. I'll definitely keep my m50s and try to revitalise them with new pads. I dislike the msr7s so much I'm beginning to wonder if I might have fakes.

What do you guys think?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely send them back if you don't like them. Can't say I ever found the M50's very bass heavy (I use the M50X's for mixing), especially compared to similar priced junk I compared them against.

The What Hifi review complained the MSR7's had a 'thin, lean balance' lacking 'weight and drive' and with a 'slight coarseness further up the frequency range'. Sounds like this is exactly what you're hearing too, shame you didn't read the WHF review.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
As the title says, I picked these up cheaply and boy do I not like them, even for the price I paid. They sound congested and airless with a lifeless upper bass and a unpleasant hump in the upper-mids. The much lauded soundstage I cannot get either.

It's strange because I have the old m50s (fixed wire) which I love but the earpads are going and the headband too. Seeing the reviews of the msr7s I thought they'd be right up my street. I'm not really typcial of an m50s fan, that is to say a bass head, but I thought these just had ample and very good bass and an exciting but not fatiguing sound. I don't do fancy lossless files and headphone amps, just an ipod classic and 320kps mp3 and the m50s sounded just fine. I'll definitely keep my m50s and try to revitalise them with new pads. I dislike the msr7s so much I'm beginning to wonder if I might have fakes.

What do you guys think?

That's kinda scary. I've been taking a long look at possibly ordering that one. I wonder if you would have liked the M70 better.

robdmarsh

Yes, I'd like to hear the m70s. The problem of course with headphones is trying them out. Next time I'm in London I might go and do some auditioning, somewhere like Selfridges. The case of the m50s is a weird one because there has been a backlash against them which seems unjustified, especially the amazing value they basically represent. As a portable headphone they're a bit ungainly so I also tried Sony mdr-100aap, nice design and inoffensive sound but nowhere near as good as the m50s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts