Real Noob..multiple questions on entry level TT setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Read through the forums here for the last couple days so I'm getting some "education". Regardless, still have some questions to ask.

I'm based in the US and recently heard some old LPs playing and just got the desire to start collecting records. Have about 50 so far and it will be growing.

Now, I'm interested in beginner TT, however, I am a complete noob. I looked around this forum and think I'm mostly interested in the RP1 (or maybe RP3). Definitely don't want to venture into used, old TTs.

Now for my questions:

(1) I currently have Sonos 5, which has line in, 2x Sonos 3 and a Sonos sub. I am not too concerned about upgrading speakers right now as I like what I have, so will ideally want to connect my TT to the Sonos system through the line in. If I buy an RP1/RP3, what else do I need to buy to be able to connect through the line-in? I've been reading about amps, pre-amps, phono stages and quite frankly, I'm confused. Would just like to know what I'd need to connect through the line-in.

(2) Next I've been reading a lot about cartridges. Is the stock cartridge on the RP1 decent or will I need to replace it?

(3) What do you think about the "performance pack" for the RP1? Worth it? I mean, even with the performance pack, it is still $500 less than an RP3 with elys cartridge. So is the sound quality only marginally better for the extra $200 it costs to go from RP1 to RP1 performance?

I'd love to buy an RP3 with elys, but it's too expensive @ $1100 PLUS I'd have to buy whatever amp/pre-amp/phono stage as well, so I think I'm definitely in the lower end :(

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst I cannot help you on question 1 (I've never used a Sonus) I can maybe assist on the others.

The Ortofon cartridge fitted to RP1 is OK but obviously built to a budget.

As to the 'performance pack' it is simply a slightly better cartridge, different drive belt and different felt / wool platter mat.

This, I feel, is a waste of your money (£85 in the UK), I think you would be better off spending less than that on upgrading the cartridge to either Shure M97Xe or Grado Prestige Green.

Much better sound for your bucks!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
labfm said:
(1) I currently have Sonos 5, which has line in, 2x Sonos 3 and a Sonos sub. I am not too concerned about upgrading speakers right now as I like what I have, so will ideally want to connect my TT to the Sonos system through the line in. If I buy an RP1/RP3, what else do I need to buy to be able to connect through the line-in? I've been reading about amps, pre-amps, phono stages and quite frankly, I'm confused. Would just like to know what I'd need to connect through the line-in.

If the RP series of TTs don't have phono stages built-in (I haven't the faintest idea if they do or not) you'll need one to step the output from the TT up to line level, it can then go straight into a Sonos line in. That's all you need assuming you don't want to use a normal amp and speakers as well, standalone phono stages are readily available in every level of budget, I wouldn't go mental if you're just feeding it into a Play:5 and onto Play:3s.

A

Anonymous

Alears said:
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst I cannot help you on question 1 (I've never used a Sonus) I can maybe assist on the others.

The Ortofon cartridge fitted to RP1 is OK but obviously built to a budget.

As to the 'performance pack' it is simply a slightly better cartridge, different drive belt and different felt / wool platter mat.

This, I feel, is a waste of your money (£85 in the UK), I think you would be better off spending less than that on upgrading the cartridge to either Shure M97Xe or Grado Prestige Green.

Much better sound for your bucks!

Thanks for your response. I'll look at your recommendations for the cartridge upgrade. I see the Ortofon 2M Red is also highly regarded in this price range. So yeah, that's a great idea for an immediate upgrade that won't cost much. There's a store in the US that if you order the RP1 and a different cartridge, they'll give you "credit" towards the stock cartridge and install the new one. So that's a good deal.

The_Lhc said:
labfm said:

If the RP series of TTs don't have phono stages built-in (I haven't the faintest idea if they do or not) you'll need one to step the output from the TT up to line level, it can then go straight into a Sonos line in. That's all you need assuming you don't want to use a normal amp and speakers as well, standalone phono stages are readily available in every level of budget, I wouldn't go mental if you're just feeding it into a Play:5 and onto Play:3s.

So something like a Cambridge Audio 651p then (or the now discontinued 640p)? Any other recommendations for phono pre-amps?

Thanks guys....really helpful forum.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Pro-Ject do/did a version of their Debut TT with an inbuilt phono stage. Might be worth a look, their Debut TTs have always been budget stars and the inbuilt phono will cut down on box clutter.

A

Anonymous

Hi. You need a separate phono stage to amplify and equalise the small signal from the cartridge which can then be connected to the line input on your Sonus. Rega make one for moving magnet cartridges called the Phono Mini which, of course, is perfectly suited to the supplied Ortofon cartridge. As for cartridge upgrades you might like to consider the Ortofon 2M Red as an alternative to the Rega Elys that comes in the upgrade kit. I think that is as far as you need to go on a budget deck. The performance pack is supplied with a higher quality precision belt which improves rhythm and timing of the music and a superior natural wool mat as well as the Elys cartridge, so yes it does make a significant improvement at this price level. Happy listening.

A

Anonymous

Alright guys. Thanks for all the advice so far. Narrowed it down to either a new RP1 or a used planar 3 w/ RB300 arm. I'll be adding either a ortofon red or ortofon blue.

If the price is the same, what would you guys suggest? What do you think will give me the better sound?

I'm just going to be a casual listener and (at the moment) not interested in doing too many upgrades beside the initial cartridge purchase.

Thanks again.

labfm said:
Alright guys. Thanks for all the advice so far. Narrowed it down to either a new RP1 or a used planar 3 w/ RB300 arm. I'll be adding either a ortofon red or ortofon blue.

If the price is the same, what would you guys suggest? What do you think will give me the better sound?

I'm just going to be a casual listener and (at the moment) not interested in doing too many upgrades beside the initial cartridge purchase.

Thanks again.

The RP3 or Planar 3 is better than the RP1, but unless you can buy from a trusted source like a good dealer you might get landed with a damaged unit (via ebay, for example). In the nicest possible way, you might not be able to tell for sure, except that things wouldn't sound as you wanted.

Hence a new RP1 would be safer, but a good used one will have more potential.

Re phono pre-amps, Rega do a good one at a modest price which is the obvious choice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DougBradyHiFi said:
Hi. You need a separate phono stage to amplify and equalise the small signal from the cartridge which can then be connected to the line input on your Sonus. Rega make one for moving magnet cartridges called the Phono Mini...

Its called the Rega Fono-Mini A2D. (As well as connecting to a line level input with analogue RCA connections, you can connect it to your computer to rip from LPs.) It costs around £85.

DougBradyHiFi said:
As for cartridge upgrades you might like to consider the Ortofon 2M Red as an alternative to the Rega Elys that comes in the upgrade kit. I think that is as far as you need to go on a budget deck. The performance pack is supplied with a higher quality precision belt which improves rhythm and timing of the music and a superior natural wool mat as well as the Elys cartridge, so yes it does make a significant improvement at this price level. Happy listening.

According to Rega, the RP1 Performance Pack includes the Rega Bias 2 (not the Elys 2) cartridge.

Just for clarity.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. I decided to go with the RP1. Should get it in a couple of days. Then I'll go to a local shop and get the Ortofon Blue installed. Also bought a CA 540p to start off with and see how it goes from there.

Will report back once everything is up and running!

A

Anonymous

Well...everything changed around.

Got the RP1 + stock cart + Project Phono Box S on my stereo pair Sonos 5s. Played Miles "Four & More" and the sound is very, very nice. Extremely pleased.

Nagaoka MP110 should be coming in soon. Can't wait to have that cart in instead of stock and hear the upgrade.

Thanks for all the help from this forum.

TRENDING THREADS