Re-issues on vinyl.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Well, you're asking us to comment on an awfully big toy box. There must be literally hundreds of thousands of vinyl albums from all possible genres that have been re-issued over the years. For instance there are 57 different issues of Lou Reeds "Transformer"! Perhaps you'd like to narrow the field somewhat?

Are you talking about "Audiophile" 180g re-issues or just any old album that has been re-issued over the years?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Let's say just the ordinary re-issues where it costs around £15 whilst the old original one which can be bought normally only second hand cost £6-£10...which one would sound better? The original or the re-issue?

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Well, let's assume that all things are equal, ie such as source material has the re-issue been pressed using the original masters, or has it been re-cut using a cd as its source material, is the vinyl the record is actually made from of comparable quality etc etc.

In this case I'd say it depends entirely on the condition of the original. Some people will always go for an original release over a re-issue because they state that the quality of the pressing and therefore the sound quality is usually superior.

All things not being equal.... well then it's a toss up. Sorry, the only way is to suck it & see.

If it helps, I generally buy second hand vinyl as long as it's in excellent, near mint or mint condition. I've not had too many disasters, and even if a record is dodgy it usually only owes me a fiver or less. I've got a few "Nice Price" type re-issue pressings from the 80's which were, as the name suggests, cheap when they were released, and the quality on those is pretty acceptable/good if they've been looked after.

Occasionally I'll buy new re-issues if they're carefully done, like the current Pink Floyd re-issues (but I hardly ever buy them at full price.. amazing how much a crease on a cover can knock the price down).

gbhsi1 said:
Let's say just the ordinary re-issues where it costs around £15 whilst the old original one which can be bought normally only second hand cost £6-£10...which one would sound better? The original or the re-issue?

If you can get a good quality original issue for a decent price then buy it. These generally have a known quality of recording. If you go for a nice new re-issue the actual quality can vary considerably. I have had some very dodgy re-issue LPs (although I must add not that many).
I tend to buy good quality originals, or if I am feeling really flush, 180 to 200gram re-issues.
I have never yet had a problem with the recording sound quality on any 180g LP I have purchased yet.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There's a similar problem with CDs, where there is often a baffling array of masters, remasters and pricing.

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.....though I feel your frustration!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts