Raspberry pi

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I have ordered a Raspberry Pi to create a music player attached to my Rega DAC.

I'm going to use Volumio to supply it from my Synology NAS, and controll it from my ipad. Once setup I don't want a monitor attached.

Does anyone have a simular setup? I would be interested in there ideas and experiences.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes! Although I'm using the HiFiBerry DAC... I have had it running for a few weeks now and have to say for the money the sound is incredible!
I've been meaning to write up a report of what I've done for the last couple of weeks - I will endeavour to do so in the next couple of days :)

Splash

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Raspberry Pi and installed Squeezeplug which sets up a Logitech Media Server & player (aka squeezebox). For me the main advantage to using LMS is the excellent 'Tiode' Spotify plugin.

LMS gives you to access your own music, spotify, internet radio, and a whole bunch of other audio applications. I control it from my android phone but there is a logitech app for iDevices as well as a 3rd party app called iPeng which apparently works well too.

The nice thing about the Pi is you can install different operating systems onto SD cards and play around until you find one which suits your needs. Great if you enjoy tinkering.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hoping to get started this weekend ,but Amazzon made a mess of my order!

Should of had a power adaptor delivery but got lost in delivery, then they sent it out again and a wi-fi adaptor turned up, so I rang ang complained so they sent it out again and another Wi-fi adaptor turned up?

So Im going to try using the wife's Kindle adaptor for now to get started and sort it out next week.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Frustrating to say the least! The Kindle adaptor should be ok to get you started... whilst everyone talks about current draw (make sure its at least 800mA) it's the regulation of the voltage that seems to cause the most problems.

You'll soon know if its no good - if it isn't you'll get SD card corruption which is a sure sign the power supply isn't good enough...

All the best and enjoy getting it all set up! :)

Let us know how you get on.

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Have Volumio setup and seeing my music files on NAS.

Cannot get sound to Rega DAC, it hasn't got option to select USB as output source, have tried to reboot Raspberry pi to see if this cures it?

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
Frustrating to say the least! The Kindle adaptor should be ok to get you started... whilst everyone talks about current draw (make sure its at least 800mA) it's the regulation of the voltage that seems to cause the most problems.

You'll soon know if its no good - if it isn't you'll get SD card corruption which is a sure sign the power supply isn't good enough...

Hi margetti, not getting any sound from RPi, should the output select have USB, or do I select ALSA?

Did you alter any settings from default?

have had one reponse fro Volumio forums but. I think that only checks to see if my DAC is compatible.

any help would be appreciated.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
margetti said:

Hi margetti, not getting any sound from RPi, should the output select have USB, or do I select ALSA?

have had one reponse fro Volumio forums but. I think that only checks to see if my DAC is compatible.

Hi ya, have tried replying once but website painfully slow and keeps timing out!

Definitely run that "aplay -l" command as per the reply to your post on volumio - the results that command gives is fundamental to how we troubleshoot from here...

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
Woodchippie said:
margetti said:

Hi ya, have tried replying once but website painfully slow and keeps timing out!

Definitely run that "aplay -l" command as per the reply to your post on volumio - the results that command gives is fundamental to how we troubleshoot from here...

yes thanks, I got that, but will have to wait for one of my sons to have a look at that at the weekend, as I will need to be shown how to implement that. :(

Also reading a forum on computer audiophile, suggestion that a USB hub would need to be used due to the absence of drivers on the RPi.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Have you got a monitor and keyboard connected to the Pi (or are able to do so?). If not you will need to use SSH to access the Pi - you'll need a program called "putty" to do this (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html). Can run you through the process in more detail if you like...

Good news is I've googled around and there arre other people who have the Pi and Rega DAC working together, so at least we know it's not a major compatibility issue.

As for the USB hub, that won't make any difference to whether the drivers are on the Pi or not. A powered hub is only needed for the Pi if the usb devices connected to it are trying to draw more power from the Pi than it can provide. As the Rega DAC is mains power this shouldn't be relevant. Have you got anything else plugged in to the other USB port on the Pi?

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
Have you got a monitor and keyboard connected to the Pi (or are able to do so?). If not you will need to use SSH to access the Pi - you'll need a program called "putty" to do this (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html). Can run you through the process in more detail if you like...

Good news is I've googled around and there arre other people who have the Pi and Rega DAC working together, so at least we know it's not a major compatibility issue.

As for the USB hub, that won't make any difference to whether the drivers are on the Pi or not. A powered hub is only needed for the Pi if the usb devices connected to it are trying to draw more power from the Pi than it can provide. As the Rega DAC is mains power this shouldn't be relevant. Have you got anything else plugged in to the other USB port on the Pi?

Yes, could plug monitor into RPi and keyboard and mouse combi. Does the DAC need to be plugged in at the same time?

if above correct then do I type the command as suggested on the Volumio forum and hit return and see what comes up.

Is it a diagnostic check or something?

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
Hey woodchippie, how you getting on?

It lists play back hardware.

Card 0 DAC ( USB AUDIO DAC), device 0 USB Audio ( USB Audio)

Subdevices. 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Card 1: ALSA (bcm2835 ALSA), device0: bcm2835 ALSA (bcm2835 ALSA)

Sub devices 8

Then lists subdevives 0-7

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
margetti said:
Hey woodchippie, how you getting on?

It lists play back hardware.

Subdevices. 1/1

Card 1: ALSA (bcm2835 ALSA), device0: bcm2835 ALSA (bcm2835 ALSA)

Sub devices 8

Then lists subdevives 0-7

plays back through HDMI on the monitor speakers, not what I want though. :)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Woodchippie said:

Subdevices. 1/1

Looks like it's recognising the DAC ok.

In the Volumio Web UI, click on Menu and then Playback. Under Audio Output check that your DAC is selected... and try changing the Mixer type.

If you still have no joy and have a suitable phone, try using the smartphone app (android) or MpoD app (iPhone) to play some music - bit of a long shot but I found the first time I tried to play music from the Web UI it would play but there was no volume. Tried from MPoD and all ok, and the Web UI started working as well. All a bit strange but I get the impression the Web UI gets the least development attention.

Failing all that, I can for now only suggest following your post on the Volumio forum - michelangelo has replied earlier so has seen your post and he is the main guy behind Volumio so you couldn't ask for a better resource :)

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
:rofl:
margetti said:
Woodchippie said:

Subdevices. 1/1

Looks like it's recognising the DAC ok.

In the Volumio Web UI, click on Menu and then Playback. Under Audio Output check that your DAC is selected... and try changing the Mixer type.

If you still have no joy and have a suitable phone, try using the smartphone app (android) or MpoD app (iPhone) to play some music - bit of a long shot but I found the first time I tried to play music from the Web UI it would play but there was no volume. Tried from MPoD and all ok, and the Web UI started working as well. All a bit strange but I get the impression the Web UI gets the least development attention.

Failing all that, I can for now only suggest following your post on the Volumio forum - michelangelo has replied earlier so has seen your post and he is the main guy behind Volumio so you couldn't ask for a better resource :)

Have DAC selected and mixer type software and it started working? Already tried all that once or twice so don't know what I did different?

i am using Ipad and synology NAS just incase I didn't mention it.

Playing Flac file sounds Good though :)

Thanks for your assistance Margetti. :)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
:rofl:

Have DAC selected and mixer type software and it started working? Already tried all that once or twice so don't know what I did different?

i am using Ipad and synology NAS just incase I didn't mention it.

Playing Flac file sounds Good though :)

Thanks for your assistance Margetti. :)

No problem - glad you got it working! :)

As for trying things once before and they didn't work but now they do, it does seem to go with the territory with the Pi! Been there before myself!

Enjoy the music :) :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts