Raspberry pi

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

i was discussing networks at a cyrus event today, and the head of r and d was telling me about raspberry pi in the context of using a different media server (plex and minim server) to my current twonky I use on my western digital drive. But still using the cyrus cadence app to control my streamer but whereas I will see twonky, ill also see plex and minim etc, for different folder / organisation structure etc.

he said it was only £35 but it just looks like a circuit board. What the hell can I do with it, in this above regard. Sorry if I’m being very ignorant. I kind of knew what this device is but didn’t know it could be used to this end.

Any help and ideas is appreciated.

insider9

It's a computer. There's a lot of info on the Internet of what can be done with a Pi.

There was an offer during Black Friday sale for Pi with a free case. It may be still on have a look.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Spend a bit more, buy one of these, and save yourself a whole world of pain. You can also run Dirac Live on this bad boy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074FQYPPZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

How does Dirac work with that out of interest. I knew the pi was a computer, but didn’t know it could be for networking. Does anyone use plex. Other than subfolder structure and ways to view music, what can it actually do, so far as making streaming easier with regards to the folder structures. I do find this stuff way to complex if I’m honest. Over my head...

insider9

Quite a number of these fanless Mini-PCs. There's a Beelink for around £120 offering very similar specs. Also other brand units under £100 on eBay. A mate if mine got one recently for a player. Silent and works reasonably well for the price.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

but how does it give you a better upnp music streaming experience.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
How does Dirac work with that out of interest. I knew the pi was a computer, but didn’t know it could be for networking. Does anyone use plex. Other than subfolder structure and ways to view music, what can it actually do, so far as making streaming easier with regards to the folder structures. I do find this stuff way to complex if I’m honest. Over my head...
Really depends on how technical you are and how much diy you do. It can be rather simple or unbelievably hard.

Dirac Live provides room correction, it's not a player. Simple to use instructions. You need a USB mic and can get a free trial to see if you like it.

There's many different software solutions for a player. If you've got a PC for playback try Roon on a free trial it can provide better room correction than Dirac Live however it's not automated.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use my mini pc with Logitech Media Server in to their headless squeezebox emulator called Squeezelite, all controlled by iPeng on my iPad. I simply point it at Dirac Live on the same pc. With a bit of setup you can literally switch on and off using the button on the pc, just like a piece of hifi kit. Also no monitor required once setup if you use Microsoft RD (Remote Desktop) which you can install on an iPad. Alternatively you can plug it in to your TV via HDMI. You will be pissing about with a RP forever, trust me.

insider9

First decide what software you want to run then get hardware that can run it.

No point doing it the other way round. You really need to have an idea what you want to do. If it's only a simple player from either USB drive or a NAS then Pi would be fine. If you want Dirac Live then it needs to be something more advanced. If you want Roon again another step up.

All will increase the cost but not as much as getting incorrect hardware in the first place.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The thing with all this is it’s very complicated. I’m hopeful someone can tell me what this device can do in so far as the plex server, how that’s different to twonky through a streamer app, what advantages so far as storing and selecting music. If it takes hours to do this, id rather pay someone when I can to mess around with this. I wish I could just read an article in a mag from someone explaining this, what benefits it offers. I’ll probably end up sticking with what I have as it tends to do my head in, although I’d like better functionality with the server. Ie searching, storing, saved playlists built in etc.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
The thing with all this is it’s very complicated. I’m hopeful someone can tell me what this device can do in so far as the plex server, how that’s different to twonky through a streamer app, what advantages so far as storing and selecting music. If it takes hours to do this, id rather pay someone when I can to mess around with this. I wish I could just read an article in a mag from someone explaining this, what benefits it offers. I’ll probably end up sticking with what I have as it tends to do my head in, although I’d like better functionality with the server. Ie searching, storing, saved playlists built in etc. 

Search YouTube so you.can see if it's something you could do.

I think what you describe you want Quest is Roon....it can sort all your music into everything you ever need but it comes at a price....excellent hardware needed +the cost price of Roon itself which is reasonable..plex is a good paid for server...I use it and probably don't use it to it's full potential as I'm not that computer literate...As long as my cd's are in my nas..I'm happy.lol.I like the way it sorts my music compared to the synology incorporated software of my nas and the minim server in my experience.?...which is very limited at this early stage of my streaming experience since getting the superuniti.....I've always been a cd/vinyl user...oh and the odd cassette tape.lpl.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Thanks mark, I’m going to have a mess around with plex tomorrow and put it on my pc and then see I can access the media server on my cyrus streamer over the network. I’m assuming you can do as much searching and same functionality as you can on the plex pc interface as you can with an iPad app flex interface. eventually can get the server onto my local nas drive if compatible (or if not via this raspberrry pi) If plex is then any good. I run an extender with the nas attached to that and the streamer to the extender too. My bt router is in another room with my pc. And the nas music folder mirrors the pc music folder for backup.

Do you run flex off a nas as you have to install the server onto either the pc or compatible nas drive. I see you can install it on a particular router now too.

I have installed plex from the package store on the synology diskstation to the nas drive and mapped.....my music on pc to the drive . if that makes sense...but plex also has a whole load of other multimedia features that I'm just not quite there with yet....and probably never will be..it's just about the music for me and I'm not much interested in streaming movies etc around the house.I just like the way it presents my music to me through the nas and in the end to my naim superuniti via the app.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The Pi is quite remarkable for the price. A fully functioning unix/linux computer with HD graphics, a full range of connectivity, all for the price of a round of drinks. By the time you have bought a box to put it in and a decent wall-wart power suppy you might be up to £50, but it is still remarkable.

There are a number of media server distributions for the Pi, just download to an SD card and away you go. Google 'PI media server' and lots will come up.

However, to echo the comments above, choose your software first, then find the hardware to run it on.

Gazzip said:
Spend a bit more, buy one of these, and save yourself a whole world of pain. You can also run Dirac Live on this bad boy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074FQYPPZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1 that looks great. I personally would stay away from pi unless you've got a fair bit of time on your hands and want a new project.

I use Plex manly for films and music side it's okay, nice pics and bio but is limited to what it can do. Havent used Roon but it looks great lovely UI and seamless integration with tidal. If they added support for films I would probably ditch plex

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts