Rant about speakers!

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
How difficult can it be to build compact speakers in a colour that will fit into people’s homes at a reasonable price? Why are the manufactures producing awful looking and oversized and often overpriced speakers? I am so tired of looking I am considering going down the self-build route. Surely most of us have either Oak or Pine furniture, and small crowded rooms with kids?
Dynaudio, great company and well-priced entry level DM series but the colour choice! Rosewood , how does that fit into anyone’s decor?
Spendor the SA1 has great reviews but a ‘striped’ wood and black. Why not oak? In fairness Spendor tend to get most things right with real wood veneers and sensible proportions.
Epos- the M16/M22i great reviews, look great and what happens they are discontinued and replaced by more vinyl wrap boxes.
Mission and Kef – both lost their way. The Q 55 looked a sensible model, good size, looked great, another one discontinued.
Monitor Audio – get a lot right, mostly good looking, and sensible finishes. However, the Silver and Gold series are mostly all large. The RX2 is 30 cms deep! The Floorstanders in the series are at least 32.0cms deep. Therefore, you find it hard to place in smaller rooms.
Rega- great company, the RS3 is a good well respected product but the side firing driver is both ugly and impractical in a lot of cases.
A message to manufactures out there build a compact floorstander about 780cms high, 17cms wide and 25.0 cms deep. Use three drivers including a mid – bass. Make available in real wood veneer, oak, cherry and black!
Create a warm or neutral sound and I think you will corner the market!!!!!

John Duncan

Neat Motive 2.

Dimensions (HxWxD) 765/160/200mm

Finishes:

Veneersnew_003.JPG

I'd add the PMC GB1i (870mm x 155mm x 234mm) as well but it's a bit tall for you. Oak/Walnut/Black Ash/Cherry.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Why would you buy speakers to fit in with your deco?. You can buy amps/cdp to fit deco, usually black/silver or grey. Thats like buying a painting or pic cos it fits matches your wallpaper and not because what it says to you.

northantsbloke34

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
Why would you buy speakers to fit in with your deco?. You can't buy amps/cdp to fit deco, usually black/silver or grey. Thats like buying a painting or pic cos it matches your wallpaper and not because what it says to you.

Paul.

iceman16 said:
/images/uploads/WTFNRA.jpg

Is this the one you were after?

WTFNRA.jpg

I was intrigued when I saw the odd acronym on the image WTFNRA, and its WaTer Fall NiagRA, and nothing to do with Charlton Heston's favourite rifle organisation combined with a proclamation of surprise :)

A

Anonymous

Get some headphones instead! Far better sound and bang for buck....... >)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
manicm said:
Actually, I'd like to see trends reversed towards making wider, less-deep speakers. I don't think the current trend of narrower-deeper speakers make them less flexible.

Like these ... very tasty ... Divine Acoustics Proxima .. quite reasonably priced too.

(dimensions height: 105cm - width: 32cm - depth: 12.5cm)

proxima2_M_03_PL.jpg

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Neat Motive 2.

Dimensions (HxWxD) 765/160/200mm

Finishes:

Veneersnew_003.JPG

I'd add the PMC GB1i (870mm x 155mm x 234mm) as well but it's a bit tall for you. Oak/Walnut/Black Ash/Cherry.

expensive!

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
manicm said:
Actually, I'd like to see trends reversed towards making wider, less-deep speakers. I don't think the current trend of narrower-deeper speakers make them less flexible.

Like these ... very tasty ... Divine Acoustics Proxima .. quite reasonably priced too.

proxima2_M_03_PL.jpg

what is quiet reasonably priced?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Mission 782 from 2000's not the old 1980's ones.

No longer made but fit your suggestion.

Also fit the 'no longer made' part as to why you had a rant.

Still good speakers, keeping them as spares or until I get a larger room & need them for my AV system.

SA1's generate enough bass in my smallish room (12x9ish).

As to matching the décor, I don't care! I have at least 4 different types of wood furnishings!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
moon said:
tino said:
manicm said:

what is quiet reasonably priced?

About £1100 new, £700 ex-dem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts