Rant about speakers!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
paulsue38 said:
How difficult can it be to build compact speakers in a colour that will fit into people’s homes at a reasonable price? Why are the manufactures producing awful looking and oversized and often overpriced speakers? I am so tired of looking I am considering going down the self-build route. Surely most of us have either Oak or Pine furniture, and small crowded rooms with kids? Dynaudio, great company and well-priced entry level DM series but the colour choice! Rosewood , how does that fit into anyone’s decor? Spendor the SA1 has great reviews but a ‘striped’ wood and black. Why not oak? In fairness Spendor tend to get most things right with real wood veneers and sensible proportions. Epos- the M16/M22i great reviews, look great and what happens they are discontinued and replaced by more vinyl wrap boxes. Mission and Kef – both lost their way. The Q 55 looked a sensible model, good size, looked great, another one discontinued. Monitor Audio – get a lot right, mostly good looking, and sensible finishes. However, the Silver and Gold series are mostly all large. The RX2 is 30 cms deep! The Floorstanders in the series are at least 32.0cms deep. Therefore, you find it hard to place in smaller rooms. Rega- great company, the RS3 is a good well respected product but the side firing driver is both ugly and impractical in a lot of cases. A message to manufactures out there build a compact floorstander about 780cms high, 17cms wide and 25.0 cms deep. Use three drivers including a mid – bass. Make available in real wood veneer, oak, cherry and black! Create a warm or neutral sound and I think you will corner the market!!!!!

No point getting worked up over speaker finishes. There are many other problems the hi-fi world is going thru I could gripe about (design of components, prices, TT designs etc etc.) but ain't worth the effort...

If you don't like the thousands of designs, shapes, colours of speakers, either make your own or change hobby.

There are many things to whinge about in this world, and I'm talking about personal life experience, speakers aren't one of them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts