RA-1570 vs RA-12 vs Hegel H-80 (for B&W 683s)

sidsaha

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've bought B&W 683s. But am yet to buy the amp and am trying to decide between RA-12, RA-1570 and Hegel H80. I heard a few of them at home with my speakers and I kind of liked the 1570 and H80 amongst them. I like the RA-12 also (especially since it is half the price of the RA-1570!) except that I felt that the 1570 had a tighter grip on the bass (but not sure if its worth paying some much extra for it). Would you guys have any advice amongst these amps? Please don't suggest auditioning any other amps as I would like to choose between these and move on. My listening will be in an apartment and I mainly listed to classic rock and blues.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
sidsaha said:
Hi, I've bought B&W 683s. But am yet to buy the amp and am trying to decide between RA-12, RA-1570 and Hegel H80. I heard a few of them at home with my speakers and I kind of liked the 1570 and H80 amongst them. I like the RA-12 also (especially since it is half the price of the RA-1570!) except that I felt that the 1570 had a tighter grip on the bass (but not sure if its worth paying some much extra for it). Would you guys have any advice amongst these amps? Please don't suggest auditioning any other amps as I would like to choose between these and move on. My listening will be in an apartment and I mainly listed to classic rock and blues.

The rotel had a tighter grip?

Hegel have a much higher damping factor which in theory is a tighter grip in the bass drivers. Bit many on first listen think the bass is missing as it does not have bass boom. This is a good thing when your used to it

sidsaha said:
Hi, I've bought B&W 683s. But am yet to buy the amp and am trying to decide between RA-12, RA-1570 and Hegel H80. I heard a few of them at home with my speakers and I kind of liked the 1570 and H80 amongst them. I like the RA-12 also (especially since it is half the price of the RA-1570!) except that I felt that the 1570 had a tighter grip on the bass (but not sure if its worth paying some much extra for it). Would you guys have any advice amongst these amps? Please don't suggest auditioning any other amps as I would like to choose between these and move on. My listening will be in an apartment and I mainly listed to classic rock and blues.

Generally speaking Rotel is a great match for B&W. They share the same research and distribution plant in southern England.

That said, there could other great matches, but first off get a dem with Rotel and other price compatible amps.

sidsaha

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I should have clarified - i meant the RA-1570 had a better grip than the RA-12. The Hegel also sounded tight. My concern with the Hegel is that it doesn't have tonal controls and it doesn't have a pre-out meaning i can't add a power amp in the future. I'm not as concerned about the pre-out as I don't intend to add a power amp anytime soon. On the tonal control i was wondering whether it is useful given the fact that I'm not going to be able to re-arrange my room much and so will i need tonal controls in order to make adjustments - especially if the bass gets too boomy?

But between Rotel RA-1570 and Hegel H80 is there anything else I should be aware of - in favour / disfavour of either of them?

sidsaha said:
I should have clarified - i meant the RA-1570 had a better grip than the RA-12. The Hegel also sounded tight. My concern with the Hegel is that it doesn't have tonal controls and it doesn't have a pre-out meaning i can't add a power amp in the future. I'm not as concerned about the pre-out as I don't intend to add a power amp anytime soon. On the tonal control i was wondering whether it is useful given the fact that I'm not going to be able to re-arrange my room much and so will i need tonal controls in order to make adjustments - especially if the bass gets too boomy?

But between Rotel RA-1570 and Hegel H80 is there anything else I should be aware of - in favour / disfavour of either of them?

Tone controls are useful but not essential. Most of all, which one sounded the best?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
sidsaha said:

I have the 360 and also had the 160 but not heard the 80 yet. Also never heard the rotel so its hard to give any sound advice. Only that i love the sound from hegel in that its very real sounding and dont think youl need tone controls as the tonal balance does not favour any frequency as neutral. I would advise however that if your buying to upgrade in the future id wait and save for a stronger amp straight up or you could waste a lot of money. If you have a nag re adding power amp or so on, that upgrade bug will come on sooner that you realize as you already talking about it. This hobby makes people spend cash

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would like to hear a shoot-out between my Pulse and the Hegel H80. As they are price compatible, would be an interesting exercise.

Of bringing hegel into posts that does not concern them and its boring you?

Now you bring leema into a hegel post. For someone who seems to find it boring, you seem to have a hegel complex
now whilst i dont mind, if id done that youd be accusing me of all sorts of things.

Maybe one set of rules for one hey?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
sidsaha said:

To try out any yet?

Hi sidsaha

Hegel's H80 now also has pre amplification output. Hegel implemented this to the H80 around eighteen months ago
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't speak for the Hegel, but Rotel's amplification is certainly an excellent match for B&W's speakers, and yes, you will find the RA1570 superior to the RA12, particularly for the 683s. Whilst the 683s are pretty efficient, they do like an amplifier with good bass control, and able to provide good dynamics. Specs for bass control (damping factor) are pretty meaningless, as this figure differs throughout the frequency range. They do need a little warming up period before listening though, but reward highly when you do.

You should find the 1570 has all the inputs/outputs you'll ever need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts