quiet blueray/dvd player

Highway 8

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My current Blu-Ray player has too much disk spinning noise and am sending it back. It's not bad with DVD's but in Blue Ray it seems to spin more and is too audible. Does anyone know what the quieter brands or players are? My max budget is 400, but would like to pay less if possible. My other concern is picture quality, and having less screen blur with motion, I could care less about a lot of the other gimmicks like 3-D or wireless.

Any help would be appreciated because a lot of the reviews do not mention how loud or quiet the player is.

Thank you!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I've got an older model sony (760), which was well-reviewed here. Very disappointing noise levels there - sounds like a pigeon cooing. If I was upgrading a "quiet" machine would be top of my list, so I'll watch this thread with interest!

Highway 8

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I have a Samsung BDF5900 and it has too much noise. I want to hear the movie, not the player. Will check out Panasonic and the Denon - wouldn't mind paying a tad less than that model if there was something quiet.

Apprecaite the thoughts -there isn't much info on this subject that I could find

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
My Sony is fine.I wonder if this is a common problem? WHF investigation team???

My old Sony S370 and current S390 are very quiet. (Have to get ear very close - within a few inches - and turn off any other sounds to hear anything going on.)

I have deliberately gone into 'System settings' on both machines and turned 'Quick start mode' off after buying them. That eliminates any fan noise even in warm weather like now. (Sacrifices a few seconds when some - but not all - disks are loaded, but it's worth it for the extra quiet.)

My previous two Panasonic DVD recorders were right old 'moaners' in comparison and very fussy about disks.

It's Sony for me (for BD players at least) from now on.

Quiet, play everything without a quiblle and have excellent PQ and SQ and they were inexpensive.

'Bomb-proof' reliability so far too. The old S370 is still in daily use by one of our daughters with no complaints or problems at all.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
I've got an older model sony (760), which was well-reviewed here. Very disappointing noise levels there - sounds like a pigeon cooing. If I was upgrading a "quiet" machine would be top of my list, so I'll watch this thread with interest!

Big Aura, you are not alone! I've had 2 of the 760s - the first one made a constant droning noise. The replacement was fine, until 2 months after the warranty ran out when it started making the same noise only louder. I've been tempted to buy a long HDMI and stick it in another room!! However, as I am the only one who can apparently hear it, then changing it at the moment is not an option....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The Oppo players are quiet - mine sits about a foot behind my head - never heard it.

My Oppo95 in the kitchen is silent as far as the disc playing mechanism goes, but you can hear the noise of the fans during very quiet moments. Not enough noise for me to want to change it though! :grin:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy another Denon. My 2012 went back. On some disks it would sound like a helicopter hovering above. Denon bemoaned the variable spin rates of BDs. It came back better but will still do it very occasionally.

Blu ray is a poor medium IMO. Not everyone can do an update. Eg my dad doesn't have Internet access, but fingers crossed his Sony 370 has never been a problem.

Ill be changing to a ps4 or Xbox one when they're released. At least Wi Fi means auto updates.

Maybe an oppo 103/105 for the HC, as they act as a surround processor.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I wouldn't buy another Denon. My 2012 went back. On some disks it would sound like a helicopter hovering above. Denon bemoaned the variable spin rates of BDs. It came back better but will still do it very occasionally.

I'm surprised to hear that. My Denon DBT 3313 is silent, that's one of its advantages. Perhaps they've upped their game with the newer models.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Mtenga said:
richardw42 said:

I'm surprised to hear that. My Denon DBT 3313 is silent, that's one of its advantages. Perhaps they've upped their game with the newer models.

I hope so.

I only updated to the 2012 for 3d. My previous Marantz BD5004 never gave a moments grief. Don't They and Denon share tech :)

From googling the 2012 does seem to have been a fussy player.

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Mtenga said:
richardw42 said:

I My previous Marantz BD5004 never gave a moments grief. Don't They and Denon share tech :)

Marantz and Denon are owned by the same people D&M Holdings. So yes, similar.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have a Sony 760 and Panasonic DMR BWT720 Blueray Hard drive recorder and they are both quiet and very reliable. The Sony was a bargain for £100. I also have 2 Pansonic DVD / Hard drive recorders which are also quiet and reliable. I also have a Denon DVD 1920 which plays all my DVDs perfectly and is bigger than both my Blueray players.

Best Wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts