Quick Rant!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Getting fed up looking for suitable headphones - been over a year now and still can't find anything that meets my needs. Currently have Sennheiser 445's. Ok not a great sound but relatively comfy.

So all I want from a new pair of over the ear headphones, sound apart, is:

1. Detachable cables (simply because it makes replacement easier and cheaper for when they get pulled - lets face it repairs to the main sets aren't cheap and neither is total replacement), and I'm great at damaging thin headphone cables through accidentally trapping them and causing them to get pulled!

2. A comfortable pair of pads. Personally I find the current crop of award winners very uncomfortable. Tried the Phillips Fidello M2BT's, and several other similar headphones with small and thick pads - same issue with all of them - sweaty plus see 3 below

3. On the Phillips, the headband seems made for small Japanese heads with the result the pad pressure is very high and painful after a few minutes plus the inch think pvc coated foam is sweaty and it's thickness contributes to the tightness.

Why is no-one making thin pads, decent sized head bands and detachable cables all in the one package? It's impossible to find all the 3 above in the same package.

Grados 80e's and AKG 550's, captive cables. AKG 50's same as the phillips - small thick pads .

I blame reviewers such as WhatHiFi to an extent for the current state of things. Whilst pad size maybe a personal choice, captive cables aren't something we should see on any phones these days given the costs of repairs. Maybe it's about time companies lost a star for captive cableling. Also, should be a push for wider bands and maybe thinner more comfortable pads.

I find it very hard to agree with reviews that give 5 stars to captive cables, headbands for midgets and sweaty pads. Surely a good (5 star) design should be suitable for all. Rant off.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Alsone said:
Hi,

Getting fed up looking for suitable headphones - been over a year now and still can't find anything that meets my needs. Currently have Sennheiser 445's. Ok not a great sound but relatively comfy.

So all I want from a new pair of over the ear headphones, sound apart, is:

1. Detachable cables (simply because it makes replacement easier and cheaper for when they get pulled - lets face it repairs to the main sets aren't cheap and neither is total replacement), and I'm great at damaging thin headphone cables through accidentally trapping them and causing them to get pulled!

2. A comfortable pair of pads. Personally I find the current crop of award winners very uncomfortable. Tried the Phillips Fidello M2BT's, and several other similar headphones with small and thick pads - same issue with all of them - sweaty plus see 3 below

3. On the Phillips, the headband seems made for small Japanese heads with the result the pad pressure is very high and painful after a few minutes plus the inch think pvc coated foam is sweaty and it's thickness contributes to the tightness.

Why is no-one making thin pads, decent sized head bands and detachable cables all in the one package? It's impossible to find all the 3 above in the same package.

Grados 80e's and AKG 550's, captive cables. AKG 50's same as the phillips - small thick pads .

I blame reviewers such as WhatHiFi to an extent for the current state of things. Whilst pad size maybe a personal choice, captive cables aren't something we should see on any phones these days given the costs of repairs. Maybe it's about time companies lost a star for captive cableling. Also, should be a push for wider bands and maybe thinner more comfortable pads.

I find it very hard to agree with reviews that give 5 stars to captive cables, headbands for midgets and sweaty pads. Surely a good (5 star) design should be suitable for all. Rant off.

Does "over the ear" mean on-ear or around-ear in your understanding? Many "over the ear" headphones are partly both, and there are comfort issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts