Questions about Oppo HA-2

Tacanacy

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I heard you can use the Oppo HA-2 as either a DAC or a DAC and amp, but which port is what? Do you use the DAC through the micro USB port, and the DAC and amp through the audio-in / line-out jack?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It can do all these things, it sounds complicated but when you have hands on the unit it really is pretty simple.

There are 3 inputs, for an iPod/iPad using a regular type A usb socket, an asyncronous micro usb type B input for use with a computer and a 3.5mm analogue line input.

With either digital input used the HA2 produces a headphone output with volume control and a line out at a fixed level of 1 volt, these operate simultaneously. The analogue input drives the headphone amp only, as it uses the same connector as the line output, no line out is available, it would be pointless anyway.

I use one primarily to listen from my Macbook, I use the supplied cable which also keeps the battery topped up. It is a delightful unit.

davedotco said:
It can do all these things, it sounds complicated but when you have hands on the unit it really is pretty simple.

There are 3 inputs, for an iPod/iPad using a regular type A usb socket, an asyncronous micro usb type B input for use with a computer and a 3.5mm analogue line input.

With either digital input used the HA2 produces a headphone output with volume control and a line out at a fixed level of 1 volt, these operate simultaneously. The analogue input drives the headphone amp only, as it uses the same connector as the line output, no line out is available, it would be pointless anyway.

I use one primarily to listen from my Macbook, I use the supplied cable which also keeps the battery topped up. It is a delightful unit.

I'm glad you're finding it useful Dave. Your assessment is correct, it's a class bit of kit.

Tacanacy

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:

I didn't understand that. I just want to know which port is the DAC and which is the DAC-amp. I assume you use the micro USB (and USB-A) as a DAC, and the audio-in / line-out jack as a DAC-amp...

Tacanacy said:
davedotco said:

I didn't understand that. I just want to know which port is the DAC and which is the DAC-amp. I assume you use the micro USB (and USB-A) as a DAC, and the audio-in / line-out jack as a DAC-amp...

I think you're a bit confused. It's a headphone amplifier with a DAC, neither are separate though you can use it as either.

Tacanacy

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Not according to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GJxiBSLOg

So if it's DAC-amp either way, what's the difference between using the micro USB and audio-in / line-out jack with a smartphone and a PC (I don't use iDevices)?

Tacanacy said:
Not according to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68GJxiBSLOg

So if it's DAC-amp either way, what's the difference between using the micro USB and audio-in / line-out jack with a smartphone and a PC (I don't use iDevices)?

None really, if you check the Oppo website. Either input can be utilised to connect them. Though note below the audio in function. It should be possible to connect laptop or mobile phone via the micro USB port. If you connect a device via the line in then you'll have to use the headphone socket as an output. The line out is exactly that when utilising the micro USB input.

Quote:
Audio-In and Line-Out
The HA-2 has a 3.5 mm Audio-In port to support portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. While the HA-2 is used with one of its USB digital input ports, the 3.5 mm jack acts as Line-Out for the USB DAC. [/list]

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Tacanacy said:
davedotco said:

But what did you not understand?

You can use either digital input, the usb Type A socket is for an iThing, quite specific and apart from a correctly formatted usb drive not for anything else.

The micro usb Type B socket is specifically designed for use with a computer and provides an asyncronous input of the highest quality. It can also be used with an Android device that has the OTG (on the go) feature

Both sockets are different in that they only accept the data from the devices described above, ene if you had the right cables, an iThing will not work into a usb Type 2 input and vice versa.

Using either digital input the HA2 will provide a 1volt fixed output from the line out socket, ie working as a dac only and a variable output from the headphone socket, ie working as a dac and headphone amplifier. This all happens at the same time.

Note. If your Android device does not have the OTG feature, you can not connect it digitally to the HA2, though you can connect it with an analogue cable if your device has a line out.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think that the basic problems are that he does not understand the difference between digital and analogue, or what DAC stands for.

He cannot understand why you are telling him that he cannot feed an analogue signal in through the line-in socket, then feed this signal through the Digital to Analogue Converter, then feed the output through the headphone amp. Consequently when you tell him that the analogue signal, fed in through the line-in socket, bypasses the DAC and is fed straight to the headphone amp, it seems a strange/confusing way to operate the OPPO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts