Question regarding upgrade options and using 5.1 Speakers with a 7.1 Amp...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi There,

I'm looking at upgrading my Sony 5.1 home theatre in a box solution (DAV-500w I think) and need some expert advise! The main reason for the upgrade is a recent purchase of a Playstion 3, and I’m very keen to use the HDMI connection in order to have surround sound for games and of course blu ray movies.

I am thinking of purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR605, and using the speakers from the Sony unit. I'm I crazy doing this? I understand this will mean I will only have 5.1 sound, which I'm quite happy to put up with until I get more money together.

However, will the Onkyo work okay with this setup? Are there better options than the Onkyo for 5.1 sound with the ability to repeat HDMI audio from my Playstaion (and not have to use an optical cable etc etc)

Any advise much appreciated!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
5.1 is fine with the Onkyo - not sure about using your original Sony speakers, but you can give it a go - it will probably involve chopping up cables possibly? I'd definitely recommend upgrading all these speakers for a dedicated 5.1 package if you can and definitely do this first before looking at a 7.1 system - this will give you a much improved sound compared to adding a couple of surround backs.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="DaddyJ"]
Hi There,

I'm looking at upgrading my Sony 5.1 home theatre in a box solution
(DAV-500w I think) and need some expert advise! The main reason for the upgrade
is a recent purchase of a Playstion 3, and I'm very keen to use the HDMI connection
in order to have surround sound for games and of course blu ray movies.

I am thinking of purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR605, and using the speakers from
the Sony unit. I'm I crazy doing this? I understand this will mean I will only
have 5.1 sound, which I'm quite happy to put up with until I get more money
together.

However, will the Onkyo work okay with this setup? Are there better options
than the Onkyo for 5.1 sound with the ability to repeat HDMI audio from my Playstaion
(and not have to use an optical cable etc etc)

Any advise much appreciated!

[/quote] I doubt you would be able to do this anyway. Are the speakers not connected to the media box and some sort of transmitter? I think you would be much better getting a separate speaker package - you would benefit 300% with one as cheap as £150-200 from what you have been used to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for your help, much apreciated. For the record I got the 605 and have it
working with my old speakers (I had to buy additional speaker wire to connect
them as my old system was indeed wireless). The only potential gotcha was that
I needed to get a powered sub-woofer.

Anyway time to start saving for a proper speaker package now.

emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts