Question Regarding Marantz MCR-603

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

A question for the many MCR-603 owners I know populate this site.

How good is the streaming capability of the Marantz? Will it allow me to wirelessly stream music from my laptop using iTunes Apple Lossless Files?

Alternatively would I get better results by attaching an external hard drive or Apple TV directly to the Marantz. I take it the Marantz will pick up the hard drive files and display them on its screen?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Meant to also ask if it will allow me to stream Spotify from my laptop to it as well, as I have just upgraded to Spotify Unlimited to get away from the advertising.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I stream all my music now via AirPlay from iTunes on my PC and also from TuneIn Radio on my iPad

The signal has never faltered and I use wifi from the study upstairs at the back of the house to the Marantz downstairs in the front room

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers mate,

I take it that with Airplay on iTunes it just streams the music directly to the Marantz? i.e. do you choose music via the marantz screen? Can an iPad / iPhone be used to control the stream of music?

Also does anybody know whether you can stream Spotify to the Marantz. The Marantz details mention Napster, but will it accept Spotify as a streaming source?

Jason

A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
Cheers mate,

I take it that with Airplay on iTunes it just streams the music directly to the Marantz? i.e. do you choose music via the marantz screen? Can an iPad / iPhone be used to control the stream of music?

Also does anybody know whether you can stream Spotify to the Marantz. The Marantz details mention Napster, but will it accept Spotify as a streaming source?

Jason

Hi Jason

Yes, with AirPlay you first need to pay for it and upgrade the Marantz system (either by plugging it into your network via hardline or using wifi as I did). This tehn allows you to stream music directly to the Marantz from your PC or MAC via iTunes. You also get the thousands of radio stations available on iTunes as well; you'll never get board of music then
smiley-tongue-out.gif

The iPhone or iPad can be used as the remote; there's a specific remote app for the Marantz system that's free to download and you can also manage your iTunes library by downloading that specific app as well
smiley-cool.gif

Re Spotify; I'm not sure sorry. It's a service that I dont use and dont plan to use... I've more than enough with the internet radio avail on the Marantz and via iTunes. You can also download tunein radio as well onto the iPhone/iPad and stream via that as well

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Dan,

So there will be no problem with regards to the Marantz and iTunes so thats all good :)

I know there are loads of Marantz 603 owners on here....surely someone must know whether it will allow me to stream Spotify to the unit via my laptop or iPad (if I get one)????????

SOMEONE????

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Jason, all my family listen to Spotify Premium on mine, but I've got my PC hooked up to the M-CR603 via a Toslink cable so have never had a need to look into this particular function.

Sounds good via Toslink though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
Sorry Jason, all my family listen to Spotify Premium on mine, but I've got my PC hooked up to the M-CR603 via a Toslink cable so have never had a need to look into this particular function.

Sounds good via Toslink though.

Cheers DIB,

It may be a possibility that I could connect my laptop directly into the Marantz as a last resort.....but from the links Chebby posted it seems that Spotify will work with Airplay (but I may have to upgrade to the Premium Version for it to work on my Android phone or iPhone later this year. Other option would be to keep the Android phone and buy an iPad :) (Any excuse) :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Jason36 said:
I know there are loads of Marantz 603 owners on here....surely someone must know whether it will allow me to stream Spotify to the unit via my laptop or iPad (if I get one)????????

SOMEONE????

I don't use Spotify, but these chaps had good experiences with Spotify and AirPlay...

http://www.hotspotify.com/2010/11/stream-spotify-wireless-to-airport-using-airplay-wow/

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/first-impressions-hands-on-with-apple-airplay

Cheers Chebby, interesting links there.

Hmm it sounds like my laptop wont stream directly from Laptop to M-CR603 via the home WiFi....however if I get an iPhone (Due December) or an iPad and upgrade my Spotify account Ican stream from these devices using Airplay.

Its all very confusing and there doesn't seem to be any definitive answers anywhere.. re laptop over wifi....well that I can find anyway.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hmm it sounds like my laptop wont stream directly from Laptop to M-CR603 via the home WiFi...

Why not? I can have Airplay streaming from my iPhone and my iMac and a Dell laptop with no problems at all.

Why not ask Marantz?

Jonathan Weston 02890 279830

(UK Product Trainer & Product Support D&M Audiovisual Ltd.)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
:roll: :roll:
chebby said:
Jason36 said:
Hmm it sounds like my laptop wont stream directly from Laptop to M-CR603 via the home WiFi...

Why not? I can have Airplay streaming from my iPhone and my iMac and a Dell laptop with no problems at all.

Well I would be able to stream iTunes saved music via Airplay....but would it allow me to stream none Apple software such as Spotify via Airplay.

With regards to stored music I have a number of potential options for the M-CR603 which include...streaming via airplay, connecting my iPod via USB socket, or even connecting an apple TV device to the Marantz as a hard drive with all music saved on it.

But its the Spotify side that has the questionmark.....I use Spotify a lot now and really wouldnt be much point in getting the Marantz if it wont allow me to stream (Although as DIB has commented I could hard wire the laptop into the Marantz), however this would have to be via USB.

Just so many more questions than answers...and I'm finding that most of the HiFi shops that sell the Marantz cant answer the questions...the last one I went into last week said the Marantz wont work with iTunes :roll: :roll:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
chebby said:
Jason36 said:

Well I would be able to stream iTunes saved music via Airplay....but would it allow me to stream none Apple software such as Spotify via Airplay.

I'm sure there was a thread on this recently with a definitive answer - I believe AE may have the answers :) FWIW my understanding was you could stream itunes from your computer, but not spotify. But you would be able to stream many things, including spotify from an iDevice. But I don't have the Marantz so have no personal experience.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Just so many more questions than answers...and I'm finding that most of the HiFi shops that sell the Marantz cant answer the questions...the last one I went into last week said the Marantz wont work with iTunes :roll: :roll:

Is it not possible to experiment in the hifi shops? They must have computers with itunes and spotify and ipods, or let you bring your laptop along and use their network. They wouldn't seem very keen on your business if they don't!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
J...and I'm finding that most of the HiFi shops that sell the Marantz cant answer the questions...the last one I went into last week said the Marantz wont work with iTunes :roll: :roll:

That's why I posted the Tech Support number for Marantz.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Jason36 said:

Why not ask Marantz?

Jonathan Weston 02890 279830

(UK Product Trainer & Product Support D&M Audiovisual Ltd.)

Cheers Chebby,

That sounds like it would be the best decision before parting with my money.

A

Anonymous

Jason, simply this how I see the Marantz and Spotify. You can't stream Spotify using only the Marantz.or connected using ethernet to laptop. you can plug a laptop in either using RCA or optical and use you laptop for Spotify you can use AirPlay to stream Spotify from an itouch, iPhone or iPad.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Jason36 said:
chebby said:
Jason36 said:

I'm sure there was a thread on this recently with a definitive answer - I believe AE may have the answers :) FWIW my understanding was you could stream itunes from your computer, but not spotify. But you would be able to stream many things, including spotify from an iDevice. But I don't have the Marantz so have no personal experience.

Cheers Ben,

Too be honest buying AE as well as the Marantz in my mind defeats the object of having a wireless compatible unit for streaming music.

Yep as we already discussed iTunes will be fine from the point of view of streaming to the Marantz. I am due a phone upgrade in December which will be for an iPhone...so from December and subject to upgrading Spotify to Premium there will be no problem. If I cant wait till then it's a good excuse to go out and buy either and iPod Touch (although I never understand the point of having this and an iPhone) or more desirable an iPad2.....which I can then use for other things :)

Also a call to Marantz would be in order I think...just to clarify the situation.

A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
Too be honest buying AE as well as the Marantz in my mind defeats the object of having a wireless compatible unit for streaming music.

No need to buy an Airport Express, you can stream audio from pretty much any app on your laptop via Airfoil.

PS There's a recent blog entry on the Airfoil blog which might be of interest to you.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
miles82 said:
Jason36 said:

No need to buy an Airport Express, you can stream audio from pretty much any app on your laptop via Airfoil.

PS There's a recent blog entry on the Airfoil blog which might be of interest to you.

Ha so if I have Airfoil and Airplay on my laptop then basically I can use Airfoil to stream Spotify to any Airplay compatible device :)

So would Airfoil stream itunes to a compatible device or would I need to get both Airfoil and Airplay??

We seem to be getting closer to a solution.

Also I believe that my current phone, a Samsung GalaxyS, will also run Spotify Premium on the Android Platform and therefore should also be able to stream from that.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Jason36 said:
BenLaw said:

Cheers Ben,

Lol, I actually meant I though Andrew Everard had given an answer to this on another thread, my fault with the abbreviations :oops: :rofl:

Airfoil was what I was trying to think of as your alternative, nice one miles :)

A

Anonymous

Right... Experiement tested and results

I've signed up to Spotify (free version) & downloaded Airfoil (trial version) onto my PC

I'm currently streaming Roger Whittaker
smiley-tongue-out.gif
via Spotify to my Marantz system via Airfoil and Spotify (Airfoil hijacks spotify, reboots and then streams)

BUT...

The volume was up 100%
smiley-surprised.gif
so make sure you sort that before having the system turned on or you'll blow your house up!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
smiley-tongue-out.gif
via Spotify to my Marantz system via Airfoil and Spotify (Airfoil hijacks spotify, reboots and then streams)

BUT...

The volume was up 100%
smiley-surprised.gif
so make sure you sort that before having the system turned on or you'll blow your house up!!!

With AirPlay the volume is also controlled from the iPhone or computer. Luckily I had read about this before buying Airplay so there were no shocks. (Although Roger Whittaker would have been traumatic at any volume!)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Right... Experiement tested and results

I've signed up to Spotify (free version) & downloaded Airfoil (trial version) onto my PC

smiley-tongue-out.gif

BUT...

The volume was up 100%
smiley-surprised.gif

RESULT!!!!

Thanks a ton for the feedback Dan...that's brilliant news.

So now I know that I can stream itunes and spotify from my laptop to the marantz unit......which for me..was one ofthe main reasons for wanting to buy the Marantz.

Thanks everyone for all your input, advice and feedback with regards to this :) :) :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts