Stereo Amplifier digital input

p1lfc

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

My rather old ARCAM amp has finally died and gone to amplifier heaven, so I am now in need of a replacement.

As I have a lot of music on a hard drive I am thinking of looking for an amp with digital inputs. My budget is very tight - up to £300 - so I was thinking of auditioning the Marantz pm6005, cambridge audio Azure 351A and maybe monitor Audio A100

I will want to get the music files to the amp in as 'untouched' format as possible to let the internal Dac do its thing, however neither my Laptop nor tablet have digital outs - coaxil or optical. Both devices have HDMI and USB, so my question is, what is the best way to get the files from the device to the amp?

I have looked at HDMI and USB to spdif convertors/ extractors, but I'm confused as to what the best option is.

BTW, the amp will be driving my old B&W 603 S2s

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Of the three amplifiers you mention, only the 351A has a usb for direct computer playback, functionally it is the obvious choice.

The others will require some sort of adaptor/converter. If you are going to buy an extra box, why not buy a good usb dac, they are not expensive, and then you can buy any amp you fancy.

The other option is to buy something like the Yamaha 301 network receiver and move the files over your network.

p1lfc

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
thanks dave yes you're right, but the most important factor for me is sound quality. So I want to audition all the amps and not be restricted by connections.

So if I like the sound of the Marantz how do I connect?

If I buy a DAC, you're looking at something like the dragonfly for £120, so only £180 for an amp. I suppose the question is what is more important amp or dac, I 'assumed' the amp.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Taking a usb signal and converting it to Spdif, is quite expensive to do right, to do it properly requires the device to 'reclock' the usb data stream, this 'asyncronous' converter can easily cost as much or more than the usb dac you mentioned.

Cheap converters are available but they do not reclock, you are totally at the mercy of the output quality of the computer, could be good, could be poor.......*unknw*

I still think the best solution might be to stream over a network connection, the afore mentioned Yamaha R-N301 can do that and a host of other things too. First model I would check out given your requirements and budget.

The other option is to spend a bit more and look at the Nad D3020.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You could also consider an AV reciever - this will come with HDMI inputs aswell as all the other connection options.

Built in DAC too.

Audition - at your budget there are few analog amps that can better many receivers. Don't be pulled in by the myths stereo amps sound better.

AV receivers can do stereo. Worth comparing with the suggested NAD.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
You could also consider an AV reciever - this will come with HDMI inputs aswell as all the other connection options.

Built in DAC too.

Audition - at your budget there are few analog amps that can better many receivers. Don't be pulled in by the myths stereo amps sound better.

I have nothing against A/V receivers, particularly the better, more expensive ones but at the price in question, they have to spread the resources pretty thinly, all those extra channels of power amplifier etc, and I think you can do better.

If you can audition the Marantz NR1504 against the Yamaha R-N301, that would be interesting. The R-N301 has much of the flexibility of an A/V reciever, minus the video switching and extra channels which are not wanted in this application.

The only thing an A/V receiver brings to the table at this level is HDMI.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Dave, I agree with you to a point, not wanting to detract from the topic but....

Back to back comparisons are in order. You've probably heard me mention my old receiver. A mid priced (£500 when new) receiver driving speakers (£999 when new) to great effect.

It shouldn't but it does auditioning lower priced receivers could well provide a solid base for a set.

The extra speakers an extra. That all.

Especially when last years models will be discounted considerably now.

davedotco said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Built in DAC too.

I have nothing against A/V receivers, particularly the better, more expensive ones but at the price in question, they have to spread the resources pretty thinly, all those extra channels of power amplifier etc, and I think you can do better.

If you can audition the Marantz NR1504 against the Yamaha R-N301, that would be interesting. The R-N301 has much of the flexibility of an A/V reciever, minus the video switching and extra channels which are not wanted in this application.

The only thing an A/V receiver brings to the table at this level is HDMI.

p1lfc

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Guys

thanks for the info (especially the conversion clocking Dave. Interesting).

I remember 15 or so years ago buying an Arcam AV amp because it was more musical than other AV amps, but to my ears, didn't sound as good as £100 cheaper 2 channel Amps by the same company. But at the time I needed an AV amp.

Now I have a nice Yamaha amp for Home cinema, and was using (a different) Arcam for music, in my den.

So I suppose I biaised, but my findings were years ago so I think you're right, I will not discount AV and trial them also.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Now I’m normally in the no to AV amps for two channel music camp however I would say at this price point if the OP is prepared to buy on the used market it is a no brainer, simply because with all the bells, whistles and latest fads on AV amps means they really lose their resale value.

I have a Denon AVR 3805 which can’t really compete with my stereo amps but that is against a Croft pre to a Quad 909 so is understandable but the Denon isn’t THAT old and was over a £1k when new and there are always ones for auction at around £120. In pure direct mode it does and admirable job, has plenty of power on tap and of course takes digital inputs.

Harman Kardon and XTZ stereo amps take digital inputs but not sure if you’ll find within budget. The alternative would be to just get a separate DAC, you can pick up a used Beresford for very little then get one of the old battleship Sony amps which are underrated.

jjbomber

p1lfc said:
thanks dave yes you're right, but the most important factor for me is sound quality. So I want to audition all the amps and not be restricted by connections.

Turtle beach Micro II cosys about £20 and converts the USB to optical. Connect that to the amp.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I think that something like a USB-to-SPDIF converter would be more appropriate to benefit from the digital inputs of the Marantz—both in terms of audio signature, and the lower noise level to be expected from the internal DAC in the amplifier.

The Gustard U12 is not very expensive (around £115, plus potential duties), and audiophile-grade in terms of specs. It uses the same XMOS USB controller that many well-regarded DACs implement—which among other things, re-clocks the audio signal. Since it can output the audio on an optical S/PDIF port, noise isolation is also a given—an advantage over other DACs implementing this controller, and quite fitting with the Marantz.

It does pretty much what can be expected from the USB ports on the best DACs, without getting into esoteric stuff such as Femto clocks, and the like.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
p1lfc said:

Turtle beach Micro II cosys about £20 and converts the USB to optical. Connect that to the amp.

Again, not a device that reclocks the signal. Leaves you at the mercy of the computer output in terms of noise and jitter.

As I said might sound fine, might not.

As Steve suggests, asyncronous devices will be a better bet, but they are not so cheap, That said, the Turtle Beach might work quite beautifully....*unknw*

iMark

I still don't understand why the companies that produce AV-receivers that sell for under GBP 200 don't produce decent stereo amps with a DAC. As an example I found this Yamaha AV receiver (RXV 377) for GBP 179 at Richer Sounds.

Incredible specs for the money:

- 5.1 channels

- HDMI Audio, 4 HDMI in, 1 out

- USB socket

-2 Coax inputs, 1 optical

- 4 RCA inputs, 1 output

Obviously no DNLA or AirPlay for this money. But still great value.

catalogguy

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the A100 and have been enjoying it immensely. The sound quality is as good as I hoped. I use the wifi connection to send music over the network. I have JRiver supported by DLNA and iTunes with AirPlay. As my files are lossless, they get to the amp with the max resolution supported by the protocol or DAC (varies). I have an Archer C7 router, and have had great performance over wireless.

Have fun!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts