Question re: new WHF Cyrus XT SE / DAC X review.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Airport Express takes 2mins to set up, and works consistently thereafter. I've used one for months with no problems.

The Cyrus CD transport costs significantly more, yet to my ears sounds the same. It should be staggeringly better.

~£1k for something that read data from a disc and outputs some digits is mental VFM.

A

Anonymous

santino.b.it:
Airport Express takes 2mins to set up, and works consistently thereafter. I've used one for months with no problems.

The Cyrus CD transport costs significantly more, yet to my ears sounds the same. It should be staggeringly better.

~£1k for something that read data from a disc and outputs some digits is mental VFM.

Last time I tried to insert a CD into an Airport I had problems...

The 2 products have very different functionality.

In terms of VFM, why don't you have a bash at the Naim reference CD player that Simon mentions, since that gives similar sound AND functionality for a very different price.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Jules, the Naim doesn't have an optical out. It is not a Cd transport. A CD transport cannot produce any sound because it doesn't include a DAC, and given that any computer can rip a CD with more accuracy than a CD transport reading in real time, I personally wouldn't buy a CD transport.

It was Cyrus' press release that annoyed me, harping on about how this transport is better than any computer. I therefore compared it against a £65 device from PC World and couldn't tell a difference. I conducted blind tests with two enthusiasts and they couldn't categorically identify one from the other either.

A

Anonymous

The Naim is a CD Player and so is the XT & DAC combination (the subject of this thread). So my comment was meant to show that the 2800 quid Cyrus (with PSUs) is similar in sound AND functionality to the Naim at 10,000 quid. VFM ?

Now comparing the XTSE at 800 quid with an Airport at 65 is pointless. If I bought an airport and a DACX I would not be able to play CDs. Since you need a computer (say 400 quid), wireless network, perhaps external hard-drive to store data etc. It all costs money on top of the 65quid.

jules.

A

Anonymous

jules153:If I bought an airport and a DACX

Imagine, "Yes Mr jules153 of WHF forum, what would you like? - ''Yes, I'd like to buy Heathrow please, and may I have a DACX as well?" Yes, I'd like to pay by switch......
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:jules153:If I bought an airport and a DACX

Imagine, "Yes Mr jules153 of WHF forum, what would you like? - ''Yes, I'd like to buy Heathrow please, and may I have a DACX as well?" Yes, I'd like to pay by switch......
emotion-1.gif

lol.

Re. the APPLE airport / CDXT debate I think we'll agree to disagree!

emotion-1.gif

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts