Question re: new WHF Cyrus XT SE / DAC X review.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi there.

I see new review of transport for DAC X.

Exsellent writing up. You likes the sound.

The question I have is that: -

Did you reviewing panel listen to the XT SE against the XT directly for comparing?

Santino

A

Anonymous

Probably not Darren, who really cares, they rate it you prefer an airport express. Most people with this sort of money to spend on a CDP will demo and make up their own minds, which to me is what hifi is all about, personal preference. Not everyone wants an airport express and AM9's or whatever they're called.

A

Anonymous

I'd say they probably did compare XT to XTSE.

So what is the answer test team?

How do the 2 compare?

jules.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
We didn't test the XTse against the old XT, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, this new range of Cyrus CD players was originally due months ago. We hung on to the CD XT for a good while, but stockroom space is always at a premium and we were happy when Cyrus eventually collected it.

Secondly, and more importantly, we prefer to test against comparably priced contemporary equipment. Manufacturers slavishly test new models against the machine being replaced, but surprisingly few test against competitors. As the 'What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Ultimate Guide to High- End Entertainment' has been in production lately (and goes on sale July 31st), we've had any number of well-regarded CD players from £2000 upwards washing about the place. As the review made clear, the Cyrus combo is a simply outstanding £2000 player when judged against any of its peers - including the likes of Bryston's BCD-1, which copped for five stars as recently as May.

In fact, the Cyrus duo is so impressive that we've considered using it (with a couple of PSX-R power supplies thrown in) as a replacement for our reference CD player, Naim's £10000 CDS3/555PS. That debate is ongoing.

The important thing to take from the review is that Cyrus has, and this is written in all sobriety, taken a significant step away from its nominal competition with this player. We've also listened to the CD6se (£800), and it's reviewed in our September issue - on sale next Thursday. Given that it incorporates much of the ground-up reworking of components that the CD XTse enjoys, you might wish to start the betting now on what kind of reception the CD6se gets.

A

Anonymous

It sounds as though you feel that the new transport takes the XT/DAC combo to a new level.

Personally I couldn't hear a difference, and because you haven't compared directly I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

A

Anonymous

Nice write up - thanks. I'm very interested in the 2 box approach with ext DAC and it seems that cyrus have done a good job. I was wondering if the tonal balance is on the dry side majoring on detail, punch (like the Brsyton CD-1) rather than a more analogue sound such as a Densen 400xs or the accustic arts duo or even a audionet artv2. Reason I'm asking is that for significantly less than 2grand I can pick up a 2nd hand 400xs which to me seems better value for money (given that I prefer a more analogue sound ). Thanks

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Cyrus has done a fine job, and I wouldn't characterise the sound as 'dry' at all. The sound is detailed and punchy, certainly, but it's not lacking in dynamics, subtlety, fluency or articulacy - speaking entirely personally, I'd take the XTse/DAC X over any other CD player I've heard at the price.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:Do I understand you correctly, Santino.b.it?

You've heard the CD XT against the CD XTse and couldn't hear a difference?

Apple Airport Express v XT SE

No statistically significant correct guesses in blind listening tests.

A

Anonymous

So Santino, you havent even compared the XT and the XTse? Your command of English has improved dramatically in this thread by the way...

I own the DAC-X and use it with an older CD8 via coaxial connection. I might use the Cyrus factory upgrade path at some point in future to get an XTse dedicated transport, but I guess I could get good sound from an Airport Express or similar straight into the DAC-X for comparatively peanuts, so I'll try that first.

Jaxon5 - The DAC-X also has plenty of other optical/coaxial inputs. I route my XBOX 360, DAB radio, and DVD (with SACD capability), through my DAC-X with brilliant results. it really is a great piece of kit.

A

Anonymous

In a recent test the cyrus DAC-X is pretty similar in performance to other offerings form MF, PS audio etc. - so it's really interesting to see a transport being so influential in overall performance. TBH I wish more would design 2 box soltions if indeed they can sometimes yield such sonic rewards!!! It's quite refreshingly audiophile isn't it?, given all the focus on ' box reduction and convenience. Not a great fan of cyrus but i applaud their design philosophy- hats off to them.

A

Anonymous

It's just suprising, as according to the review you last heard the DACX in 2005, and in the latest review you didn't compare the transports directly; so how can you be so certain it's a giant leap forward?

In my experience the Airport Express sounded about the same. In blind listening tests correct guesses between the two showed no statistic significance. It was pretty much 50:50.

The DACX is pretty versatile and has many inputs, so it would be handy if your review pointed out the other things that you could attach to it.

To my ears the £1k DACX plus £65 Airport Express sounds the same as the XT SE / DACX combo @ ~£2k, therefore making the former much better VFM, as well as a lot more convenient, IMO.

It would be useful if you considered such things in your review, and maybe conducted a few blind tests to ensure you're not imaging things. However, I don't see how one could be swayed by the aesthetics of the XT SE because it is finished in three shades of silver, and the mechanism doesn't eject the disc far enough to allow the finger to access the centre hole of the compact disc.

Regards,

Darren x

A

Anonymous

Provided lossless material is used there will be no difference between the sound of a CD transport and an Airport Express. Both are simply supplying noughts and ones. However the latter has the advantage of streaming 24 bit material and I think this is an important consideration now that the Touch and the iPhone can control iTunes remotely courtesy of a recent Apple download.

Just me thoughts

Ash

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
santino.b.it:and maybe conducted a few blind tests to ensure you're not imaging things.

We conducted some blind tests using a selection of kit, both price-comparable and disproportionately expensive.

The Cyrus pair performed exceptionally well.

A

Anonymous

Nice to see you here Simon. The Cyrus combo sounds like it's truly amazing if you're considering it as your reference system, and I've listened to your reference system
emotion-5.gif

I had the CD8x for a while and I found it to be fantastic so I can only imagine what this sounds like!

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:We didn't test the XTse against the old XT, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, this new range of Cyrus CD players was originally due months ago. We hung on to the CD XT for a good while, but stockroom space is always at a premium and we were happy when Cyrus eventually collected it.

Secondly, and more importantly, we prefer to test against comparably priced contemporary equipment. Manufacturers slavishly test new models against the machine being replaced, but surprisingly few test against competitors. As the 'What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Ultimate Guide to High- End Entertainment' has been in production lately (and goes on sale July 31st), we've had any number of well-regarded CD players from £2000 upwards washing about the place. As the review made clear, the Cyrus combo is a simply outstanding £2000 player when judged against any of its peers - including the likes of Bryston's BCD-1, which copped for five stars as recently as May.

In fact, the Cyrus duo is so impressive that we've considered using it (with a couple of PSX-R power supplies thrown in) as a replacement for our reference CD player, Naim's £10000 CDS3/555PS. That debate is ongoing.

The important thing to take from the review is that Cyrus has, and this is written in all sobriety, taken a significant step away from its nominal competition with this player. We've also listened to the CD6se (£800), and it's reviewed in our September issue - on sale next Thursday. Given that it incorporates much of the ground-up reworking of components that the CD XTse enjoys, you might wish to start the betting now on what kind of reception the CD6se gets.

Thanks for the info Simon. Looks like Cyrus have hit the nail on the head with the latest upgrade. Nice to see a British company like Cyrus using ingenuity over sheer R&D spend to create a great product. Hopefully Arcam can get back to great 2 channel products soon too.

BTW this Apple Airport thingy is a complete red herring in my opinion:

The Cyrus CDXT(SE) is a CD transport. Whereas the Apple airport express is a digital interconnect extender.

Or am I wrong?

jules.

A

Anonymous

Hello Jules,

Yes I agree the Apple airport may be a lot cheaper than a transport, but not everyone wants to have to have there PC/MAC on just so that they can listen to there music collection. Some dare I even say may not have or even want a computer at all.

I've been a mac user for to many years than id like to say now remember OS 8 ! And have used itunes since before Apple bought it from another company and changed its name and tweaked the interface, But several ÿupgrades ago it messed up my complete collection changing artist names, song titles,ÿduplicatingÿtracks etc etc so that and hard drive failures of which I've had several over the years means I'll stick with the good old CD as long as possible, each to there own hay.

And as to should you or shouldn't you get a transport at least its good that there are people out there forever striving to better our hifi equipment Id rather that than have the industry stagnate. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Competely agree Stephen,

I work with PCs all day so the last thing I want to do is use them when I get home!

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts