Question for Dr Lodge regarding NAS drive & Squeezebox server??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
As the title says, or for anyone else who has configured SB Server on a NAS Drive.

I am looking to purchase a SqueezeBox Touch, initially to stream Spotify from my iPad. Eventually I am looking to buy a NAS Drive to add my Apple Lossless music to and connect to my wireless router to stream to the SB.

I believe that I would need to add SB Server to the NAS and I am trying to find out how easy it is to add and configure this to the NAS drive. Is it a simple and straightforward process?

nads

the touch will stream spotify without the iPad. (dont think it would stream it from it anyway). aslong as you get a suitable NAS (ie an intel based one or a supported Spac or other, readyNAS for example) it is easy aslong as you follow the correct instructions.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
For a Synology NAS there's a officially supported package from Synology. Just download, install it (from within the web gui) and you're ready. Very simple, works perfectly!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the process should be quite painless if you choose your NAS carefully. But if you are worried, you could always buy one with the software pre-installed. I quite like the Excito B3 which has SB Server pre-installed amongst lots of other useful software. It's a nice little NAS/home server, has lots of good reviews for ease of use, quietness (it is fanless), low power consumption etc. ... but it is a bit pricey for what it is.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
nads said:
the touch will stream spotify without the iPad. (dont think it would stream it from it anyway). aslong as you get a suitable NAS (ie an intel based one or a supported Spac or other, readyNAS for example) it is easy aslong as you follow the correct instructions.

Cheers Nads,

Yes I believe you add the Spotify account details to the squeezebox and it then recognises it directly. stream is probably the wrong word.....I suppose I meant to say control Spotify via the SB app or iPeng for the iPad.

So it sounds like adding SBS in future to a NAS should ape a fairly straightforward and painless task. I was probably thinking of something like the Netgear readyNAS as the storage device anyway, as I have seen them for a good price incl Harddrive on Amazon.

A

Anonymous

OK here I am folks...the horses mouth lol :cheer:

Yes, you have to choose your NAS carefully. The one I bought (Bufallo LinkStation Live) doesnt support the SBS with the native firmware, there is a firmware "hack" available with the server on, but that server software is a few versions behind the min-server software on the touch itself so the touch gets itself into a never ending upgrade/downgrade cycle. I also think my NAS might not be quite powerful enough to run the server, since it takes quite a bit of computing power and memory, its certainly marginal from what I've read.

If you want to go the NAS route, I would suggest one of the officially supported devices i.e. Netgear ReadyNAS. However those devices are quite pricey so I'm running the server on a Dell Studio laptop with Windows 7. I might try an older PC with Debian Linux or Windows XP if I get round to it.

So whilst the Squeezebox Touch is a great device, it does require some kind of "machine" in order to run the proprietary server software, and this ups the price unless you have something already. The Sonos is more expensive, but just needs a standard NAS drive...which is probably cheaper.

branon

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I am using the Synology NAS. The advantage is that it is an excellent NAS, period. Great user community to provide support and the reps themselves are very helpful.

Few things to keep in mind

- Make sure you instlal the package from the Synology website and not from the squeezebox websites.

- The Synology NAS that you buy should come with at least 256MB Ram. The squeezebox app apparently is becoming a memory hog. I have a cheap 110j Synology drive but with 300 albums stored in FLAC format, navigation is beginning to slow down.

Sometimes I think Sonos might just have been the easier way to go. But i prefer the On-screen controls of the Squeezebox line. I dont want guests fiddling with control apps on my phone.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a Squeezebox Touch and started out with a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. In my experience the ReadyNAS Duo processor is a little underpowered for SqueezeBox Server, especially if you have a larger collection. For example, a full re-scan using the ReadyNAS used to take about 5 hours, against 10 minutes with my current Intel Atom based server!

The caveat to this is that Logitech have done significant re-writes to Squeezebox Server since I last ran in on the ReadyNAS so performance may have improved.

Regarding what NAS to run SqueezeBox Server on, it'll either need to be offically supported by the NAS unless you're comfortable with straightforward unix commands.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers and thanks for all the advice guys. I have been looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS amongst other devices. I'm really torn at the moment between the Sonos System and Squeezebox. Sonos will cost appx £320 for the Bridge and ZP90 + price of NAS as opposed to the squeezebox which I can get for £180.00 and I believe initially use my Western Digital Hard Drive which has my Apple Lossless files on it, using the SB Server built into the Touch. To be honest initially I am more interested in using this for Spotify and Internet radio initially....but would be nice to eventually do away with the iPod and connect a NAS Drive. It sounds like, as a whole the comparable costs will be similar between the two longer term......just need to work out which would be more beneficial longer term.

nads

in that case get a Touch and see how you get on. if you dont like you can always connect some active speakers and put it in the kitchen.

Or in my case touch main room. SB3 and actives in the kitchen and a Radio in the bedroom.

Sonos routinely comes up with 10-20% discount offers. Keep an eye on it. You should get 10% discount at the Sound & Vision show in Manchester next week. With Christmas approaching, retailers like Amazon will give good discounts on Sonos.

A

Anonymous

I run a Squeesebox Duet with 3 recievers from a Qnap TS109 pro (the 109 has been superceeded now)

Squeesebox server is very easy to install on the Qnap, and I have had no real problems over the last 3 years.

Qnap have a forum on the squeezebox, so you can decide which one is best for you if you go this route.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts