Question for Chebby about speakers for his Naim setup (and anyone else who is interested)

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Chebby,

I know from your signature you have the same Naim setup as I do (Nait 5i and CD5i). I am currently running my B&W DM603 from a previous setup with this kit and in the next few months will replace these with something hopefully more appropriate.

I notice from your signature you went for Naim speakers in the end also. Can you tell me what else you auditioned and why you went for the Naim speakers in the end? Admitedly there may be a thread elsewhere about your findings, but I cant currently find it.

I personally like a floor stander for a reasonable amount of bass, but am not against the idea of the right stand mounter.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

dont know if i can help but ive heard the nsats several times

their stand mounts as you say but also sealed enclosures which means they can be positioned on or close to the wall

id describe their sound as dry detailed and accurate certainly for classical anyway but with other music i was surprised to find the bass falls away to the point where at least in the two vastly different rooms where ive heard them youd really need a subwoofer

theyre a speaker that forces you to concentrate on the music which is no bad thing but in the end i found them a tiring listen though i could see their virtues

definitely a must listen first theres no in between with the nsats

if you want to compare then have a listen to the totems b&ws proacs and dynaudios which have vastly different takes on the music each good in their own way

edit b&w stand mounts that is

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
one off:
dont know if i can help but ive heard the nsats several times

their stand mounts as you say but also sealed enclosures which means they can be positioned on or close to the wall

id describe their sound as dry detailed and accurate certainly for classical anyway but with other music i was surprised to find the bass falls away to the point where at least in the two vastly different rooms where ive heard them youd really need a subwoofer

theyre a speaker that forces you to concentrate on the music which is no bad thing but in the end i found them a tiring listen though i could see their virtues

definitely a must listen first theres no in between with the nsats

if you want to compare then have a listen to the totems b&ws proacs and dynaudios which have vastly different takes on the music each good in their own way

edit b&w stand mounts that is

Thanks one off, youre not the first to mention the N Sats lack bass. I was searching through old threads on here earlier and a few people have said the same thing. many people also seem to recommend Neat with Naim. Dont know whether that is because theyve heard them, or because thats what WHF says!

A

Anonymous

I have owned the N-Sats for several years. They are used with a cd5x/nac112/nap150/flatcap2 naim system. The N-sats are an excellent fun speaker that were originally designed for surround sound duties but will act as great stereo speakers in a small room. That final point is crucial - A SMALL ROOM. The bass is limited but when used in a small room about 5 to 6 inches away from a rear wall, they will give you the most fun you have heard at that price. They can be installed on a wall using NAIM designed brackets or on stands (no longer available from Naim but I understand Partington stands work really well.) If your room is too big to accommodate N-Sats take a look at the Neat Motive range. They work brilliantly with Naim gear and have decent Bass as well. (I used to own Neat Mystiques in a larger roomed past life and they were great).

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
James, try and arrange a demo with Rega R3's or the newer RS3's. I had quite a long audition on various componants including speakers and I can say (to my ears) the rega's especially the RS3's punch well well above thier weight. Give a nice controlled sound, great in all frequencies, no booming or shrill trebles. Dont add anything or take anything away from the sound.

If you have a large room then I would say try to audition the RS5's or R5's as well.

Alternatively Neat get lots of good reviews with Naim gear

Hope that helps.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
creepy:I have owned the N-Sats for several years. They are used with a cd5x/nac112/nap150/flatcap2 naim system. The N-sats are an excellent fun speaker that were originally designed for surround sound duties but will act as great stereo speakers in a small room. That final point is crucial - A SMALL ROOM. The bass is limited but when used in a small room about 5 to 6 inches away from a rear wall, they will give you the most fun you have heard at that price. They can be installed on a wall using NAIM designed brackets or on stands (no longer available from Naim but I understand Partington stands work really well.) If your room is too big to accommodate N-Sats take a look at the Neat Motive range. They work brilliantly with Naim gear and have decent Bass as well. (I used to own Neat Mystiques in a larger roomed past life and they were great).

Thanks creepy - my listening room is a reasonable size so maybe the N Sats are not for me.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:
James, try and arrange a demo with Rega R3's or the newer RS3's. I had quite a long audition on various componants including speakers and I can say (to my ears) the rega's especially the RS3's punch well well above thier weight. Give a nice controlled sound, great in all frequencies, no booming or shrill trebles. Dont add anything or take anything away from the sound.

If you have a large room then I would say try to audition the RS5's or R5's as well.

Alternatively Neat get lots of good reviews with Naim gear

Hope that helps.

Thanks True Blue - I'll stick these on the list also.

Every little helps as they say...

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Another thumbs up for Neat. I have Neat Motive 2, they no way lack bass !

Second choice would be ATC SCM11. Couldn't fit standmounts in though !

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Minigill:Another thumbs up for Neat. I have Neat Motive 2, they no way lack bass !

Second choice would be ATC SCM11. Couldn't fit standmounts in though !

So the Neats have a decent amount of bass then? Suprising given how small they are, but all good. I really need to test some out. Do you run yours with Naim?

Minigill

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi James

Yes, I bought them and the Naim gear all together after trying a few speaker combo's and different Naim gear. They were bought purely for Hifi, AV is another set of speakers !

They look quite small and very 'Neat', not over powering. I am very surprised by their bass for such a small speaker.

First time I looked at them in the flesh I wasn't expecting great things when you see them against the bigger floorstanders as they are small, but that soon changed when listening to them! I have them on some granite plinths which helps the bass (don't know the technical terms, but they sound better!).

They are still running in (well the Naim gear is), the Neats need 200hrs, bought them before the rest of the gear which followed a couple of weeks later.

Did not try the standmount Neats, but I have read they are also very good.

Run them with Naim speaker cable, tried it up against Chord Epic which I use for my AV system, but could not tell which one was better. They were just 'different' in a demo where I listened to them both. It came down to personal preference i.e. which one sounded better to my ears !

There is alot on the web about Neat/Naim - match in heaven, this is one reason why I tried it!

Gill

A

Anonymous

Garland Genoho:Where is the Cheebai?
i saw him in audio t portsmouth talking to elvis

A

Anonymous

one off:Garland Genoho:Where is the Cheebai?
i saw him in audio t portsmouth talking to elvis

And you must be the clown I bumped into at London Zoo recently!
emotion-16.gif

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:I personally like a floor stander for a reasonable amount of bass, but am not against the idea of the right stand mounter.

I listened to the Neat Motive 2's today, and compared them to the Kudos X2's. I would recommended that you do the same, the Kudos sound far superior to the Motive 2's. No doubt What HiFi will take some time before they review the Kudos X2's.

A

Anonymous

one off:sorry i assumed you had a sense of humour

I thought you had a sense of humour too.....
emotion-5.gif

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

my remark was directed at garland genoho but if your the same person then let me add im not really good with the smiley things and didnt really understand what the one on the genoho post meant

A

Anonymous

one off:my remark was directed at garland genoho but if your the same person then let me add im not really good with the smiley things and didnt really understand what the one on the genoho post meant

No idea mate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts