question for all ATC (SCM19) loudspeakers owners

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Which amplifier do you use / advise? This information would be very helpful for me to make a short list and to know where to go to listen. I'm looking for an amplifier under 2000 pond / 2400 euro. Thank you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I am not an ATC user, but I would be shortlisting the following:

- Arcam A39

- Rega Elicit R

- Creek Evo 100A

- Primare i32

- Pathos Classic 1 Mk11

- Bel Canto C5i

- Musical Fidelity M6si (ex-dem)

Hi ThijsJ

If you can stretch your budget then Hegel's H160 amp/DAC/streamer (RRP £2450) is worth a look as we've also had excellent results using the H160 with SCM19 MK1 and curved SCM19 passive monitors.

Btw, which version of SCM19's are you using please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I listed all the best amps I could think of....and should have included Hegel.

The ATCs are so neutral that chosing the tonal quality of the amp to suit your preference is crucial.

If I was listing the Amp's sound signature from Richer/Smoother -> Cleaner/More Neutral, it would look roughly like this (all in my subjective opinion).

Pathos

Musical Fidelity

Arcam

Rega

Hegel

Creek

Bel Canto

Primare

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for you input MUSICRAFT.

I use the latest passive version.

At first I'm looking for a amplifier without a Dac because I mainly use my iPhone as source in combination with the Arcam-irDac (and don't want to pay for another Dac). I wonder, can the Hegel process the digital signal from the iPhone 6s (plus) like the Arcam?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Ive heard hegel and various atc speakers and ill vouch for the good combination.
Atc are my first choice of speakers regardless of price point.

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi Musicraft,

do you have by any change (positive) experience with the Rotel RB-1582 MkII power amp in combination with the SCM19 passive loudspeakers (latest version)?

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
for those none ATC (SCM19) owners: they are insensitive loudspeakers (sensitivity 85dB @ 1W @ 1metre) so a powerfull amplifier is required. Let's say at least 100 watt but probably more then 150 watts. And I'm looking for an amplifier with a high damping factor for tight and controlled bass. And detailed but silky smooth high.

The Hegel H160 is indeed a good option, however it is too expensive and I do not want to pay for a second Dac (that I don't going to use, my iPhone 6s plus + Arcam-irDac is my source). Primary I32 is an option, but probably its too clinical. And its an old model, when will the successor be out?

I'm actually looking something like the Hegel H160 but slightly cheaper and without a Dac.

Really would love to hear from ATC (SCM19) owners which amplifier they use (those within my budget).

For now on my short list:

Axiom II Passive Preamp RCA / Rotel RB-1582 MkII power amp
Creek Evolution 100A
Exposure 3010S2-D
Rega Elicit-R (too bright maybe? Especially with my silver wires? Need a extra proper listening session)

(Roksan Blak, the NON USB version. Price? Does anyone knows the price for the NON USB version?)

Please add

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
One of the best systems I ever had was new model SCM 11s and a Naim Nait 5si. Don't be put off by Naims seemingly low power ratings. They work very well with ATC imho. You could consider a Nait XS.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ThijsJ said:
for those none ATC (SCM19) owners: they are insensitive loudspeakers (sensitivity 85dB @ 1W @ 1metre) so a powerfull amplifier is required. Let's say at least 100 watt but probably more then 150 watts. And I'm looking for an amplifier with a high damping factor for tight and controlled bass. And detailed but silky smooth high.

The Hegel H160 is indeed a good option, however it is too expensive and I do not want to pay for a second Dac (that I don't going to use, my iPhone 6s plus + Arcam-irDac is my source). Primary I32 is an option, but probably its too clinical. And its an old model, when will the successor be out?

I'm actually looking something like the Hegel H160 but slightly cheaper and without a Dac.

Really would love to hear from ATC (SCM19) owners which amplifier they use (those within my budget).

For now on my short list:

Axiom II Passive Preamp RCA / Rotel RB-1582 MkII power ampCreek Evolution 100AExposure 3010S2-DRega Elicit-R (too bright maybe? Especially with my silver wires? Need a extra proper listening session)

(Roksan Blak, the NON USB version. Price? Does anyone knows the price for the NON USB version?)

Please add

I think I'm right in saying that a sealed design doesn't need a high damping factor, in the same way as a ported one does...the trapped air in the cabinet damps the bass driver, making it a good choice for Vinyl.

If you are looking for a silky treble, you should try Pathos. Failing that, Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Electrocompaniet, Abrahamsen and Sugden.

Primare is Class D, making it clean sounding, which you might find a bit clinical. Rotel is pretty neutral and Rega is a sort of "musical neutral" (as is Hegel - from what I've read).

It is very hard to second guess what someone else will like....especially as some "surprising synergies" can crop up when demoing.....and don't underestimate the effect that the Source can have.

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again for your input CnoEvil, I apprecaite it.

Good to know damping factor isn't important for sealed loudspeakers. I will drop it from my comparison topics.

All amplifier you mention are fine ones, especially the Sugden and Abrahamsen. However I have concerns if they are a match with the ATC because the low input sensitivity of the ATC.

What I try to do is to make a short list in order of preference. Then I want to find a dealer who has number one on the list and the most of the others. Then the rest is up to my ears ....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ThijsJ said:
Thank you again for your input CnoEvil, I apprecaite it.

Good to know damping factor isn't important for sealed loudspeakers. I will drop it from my comparison topics.

All amplifier you mention are fine ones, especially the Sugden and Abrahamsen. However I have concerns if they are a match with the ATC because the low input sensitivity of the ATC.

What I try to do is to make a short list in order of preference. Then I want to find a dealer who has number one on the list and the most of the others. Then the rest is up to my ears ....

All the amps listed have sufficiant damping factor for your needs.

Abrahamsen amps in your budget range have plenty of power for your ATCs.

An exdem Sugden A21 SE would fall in range, but you have have to try to see if it went loud enough for your taste.....you don't need as many Watts as you think. It's the quality of the power supply that really counts. If you get the chance to hear one, don't rule it out.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
or two?

if you don't mind a separate pre and power combo, also consider the Nord Hypex power options with pre from IQspeakers. I have the Nord 500 stereo power driving a pair of ATC SCM11s and it is superb. Bags of power, detailed but very musical too. The pre/power comes in just over £2000, though and I've not heard the pre. Check out their website......

ThijsJ said:
Thank you for you input MUSICRAFT.

I use the latest passive version.

At first I'm looking for a amplifier without a Dac because I mainly use my iPhone as source in combination with the Arcam-irDac (and don't want to pay for another Dac). I wonder, can the Hegel process the digital signal from the iPhone 6s (plus) like the Arcam?

Hi ThijsJ

Your welcome and thanks for your reply.

Yes and no. The irDAC has a physical iPhone connector whereas the H160 hasn't. However the H160 does have Apple AirPlay which with Hegel's implementation sounds much better. It'll work with all Apple products.

Please take a look at the H160's instruction manual - page 6

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you CnoEvil, your input is always very helpful and appreciated. Its helps me to understand where I need to pay attention to, and where no to.

ThijsJ

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again for your input MUSICRAFT, as an expert your experience is very helpful.

I have 2 questions:

I checked the manual of the Hegel H160. It doesn't say if the music stream by Apple AirPlay is digital or analog (after iPhone own Dac). I'm wrong if I think its (only) analog (made for ("receivers" to connect to) active loudspeakers / amplifier and loudspeakers)?

Do you have positive experience with Naim amplifiers as well (in combination with ATC (SCM19))? For example the XS2? A Naim amplifier had always my preference before I bought the ATC SCM19 but I'm not sure its a good match and if I should list it on my short list. What is your experience?

TRENDING THREADS