Question about open back headphones

kevinhutchins

Oct 7, 2024
Visit site
Hello,
I'm curious as to why some of you prefer open back. Especially for setups that require a preamp. I mean this as a genuinely curious question as I was surprised when I learned it was a thing. I'm confused as to the reason for preffering them over a quality set of speakers/stereo, given the sound leak means they arent really suitable in most places people use headphones (office, gym, doing yard work or other chores, ect). And if you need a preamp/dac for one, then you're pretty much limited to a desk or similar setup which defeats the advantage of portability compared to a stereo. Is it more about being cheaper/more compact than a high quality stereo?

Hello,
I'm curious as to why some of you prefer open back. Especially for setups that require a preamp. I mean this as a genuinely curious question as I was surprised when I learned it was a thing. I'm confused as to the reason for preffering them over a quality set of speakers/stereo, given the sound leak means they arent really suitable in most places people use headphones (office, gym, doing yard work or other chores, ect). And if you need a preamp/dac for one, then you're pretty much limited to a desk or similar setup which defeats the advantage of portability compared to a stereo. Is it more about being cheaper/more compact than a high quality stereo?
My understanding is they simply sound better. Predominantly made for the home market where 'leaky' doesn't really matter.
The use of a headphone amplifier is necessary for those that don't have any other means of attaching said headphones and again offer improvement in sound quality over internal headphone amplifiers along with flexibility to adjust the sound to your own requirements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts