Question Best Open Back Headphones for Immersive Gaming

Wesley85

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm after a pair of open back headphones which will be used for both music and gaming on a very highend PC.
I have to stress I'm not an online competitive gamer. I do not need a mic. I game for fun and the experience.
Gaming fidelity is priority for me.

To help give an idea of where I stand with quality preference, my current set up contains;

77" LGC9
KEF R 500 5.1 Surround with R50 Atmos speakers.
Denon AVR X-7200wa
RTX2080TI Graphics Card.

I currently use a closed back Oppo PM-3 with a Chord Mojo amp.

So any input on helping me decide on a pair of open back headphones would be great.

Budget is around £1300
Headphones must have a good soundstage for atmosphere and imaging for location of enemies etc.
I like a powerful inpact sound for guns.
Massive sub bass is not a priority as long as its clear and defined.
I do like trebles to be detailed for glass breaking and ammunition shells hitting the ground. But I am sensitive to over bright trebles where sibilance is overbearing.

I've trawled the internet for headphones I'd like for music but can't find any where they have been used for gaming.

On my radar currently are;

Focal Clear
HD800S
T1 Gen 2

I would like to continue to use my Chord Mojo for the next 2 years so ideally suited to this dac/amp.

Thank you in advance

Reactions: MMohammed
D

Deleted member 188533

The 1990 Pro is better than the T1 for gaming because the 1990 Pro actually has some bass and it tames the crazy highs of the T1 while having the same imaging and 99% of the detail.

The 800S has soundstage for days but it's picky about amplification and the DAC. Haven't owned one to recommend a source that plays nice but your Mojo to one of the THX amps ( Drop 789, Monoprice and the new SMSL ) would be where I'd start.

Focals, at least my Elear, have an almost holographic 360 degree image but it's not terribly wide. On par with the 1990 Pro.

The AKG K712 pro would be another solid choice. It's hard to drive but it has amazing detail and the soundstage is very close to HD800 levels. Most comfortable headphones ever.

There's also the Audeze LCD GX. Supposedly pretty good.

I swap between my old HD598s and my K712 Pro for gaming.

Wesley85

Nov 1, 2019
Visit site
The 1990 Pro is better than the T1 for gaming because the 1990 Pro actually has some bass and it tames the crazy highs of the T1 while having the same imaging and 99% of the detail.

The 800S has soundstage for days but it's picky about amplification and the DAC. Haven't owned one to recommend a source that plays nice but your Mojo to one of the THX amps ( Drop 789, Monoprice and the new SMSL ) would be where I'd start.

Focals, at least my Elear, have an almost holographic 360 degree image but it's not terribly wide. On par with the 1990 Pro.

The AKG K712 pro would be another solid choice. It's hard to drive but it has amazing detail and the soundstage is very close to HD800 levels. Most comfortable headphones ever.

There's also the Audeze LCD GX. Supposedly pretty good.

I swap between my old HD598s and my K712 Pro for gaming.

Thanks for the reply.

In the end I decided on the Audio Technica Ath-adx5000 with the Chord Hugo TT2. Just breaking them in with music atm. Only had about 4 hours on them. Will game on them next week 😊😊

D

Deleted member 188533

Those are beyond my budget but I'd love your impressions. Especially if you've heard the 1000X and 2000X to compare to. :)

TRENDING THREADS