Question about granite plinths

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My speakers came with granite plinths which I have already fixed to them, however I have this stood on 2 thick tiles, is this overkill? i.e. is this having a negative impact on bass?

A

Anonymous

Are u sure they are graphite?

Graphite tends to resonate and ring when it vibrates - I always use slate - it is formed in a different way to granite and doesnt resonate. I have floorstanders with spikes, i used to just have them through the carpet - however I bought 2 evenly sized/same thickness slate patio tiles to stand them on now - result crisper bass more punch less vibration through the house (isolated) cost £10

A friend had some made at a stonemasons - polished smooth and bullnosed £200.

Anyway I wouldnt include the tiles especially if you have doubled them up - also tiles are clay and not very dense therefore they will vibrate. It is all a matter of taste and opinion - if you are happy then go with it, someone on here said always try experimenting with your set up - something that I hadn't done for a few years - although small I decided to position my speakers flat on instead of toed in and even this has made a difference to the fact that i now prefer the sound

Messiah

Pusscat:
Are u sure they are graphite?

I hope not
emotion-2.gif

(I am sure you have realised he said Granite....)

Messiah

hi fi newbie:My speakers came with granite plinths which I have already fixed to them, however I have this stood on 2 thick tiles, is this overkill? i.e. is this having a negative impact on bass?

Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

A

Anonymous

What a plonker! its late and its been a long day with the kids - of course - i mean granite

A

Anonymous

I had granite plinthes (and the standard wooden) on my MA GR20s. I took them away recently and the bass came back. I've left them off but as others say, personal preference really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts