Question about Dac Magic for AAC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

Linear is 'off', effectively. I have found that on some music the other filters do sound better, but I can't be bothered faffing so leave it on linear all the time. Course, if it had a remote control I might be flicking......

I say again though that I wouldn't expect too much of a difference between the two, except in subtle ways such as soundstaging and timing which may not be immediately apparent but may become more obvious over time. There should be distinct advantages using the balanced connection, however. Where I would expect a difference is playing lossless (crucial) files from your laptop, compared to a spinning disc. This is where my CD player seemed smeared and messy in comparison.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'll try to remember to keep that filter set on "Lin".

I'm planning more testing this w/e with lossless files.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks for your help John.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
I've now plugged in my XLR i/c, and connected my vdh i/c from BDP to amp. Further testing and listening last night suggested a minor improvement through the DM box. Not nothing as noticeable as what I could hear in the shop. Which is really frustrating me I gotta say. The one possible weak link in my current setup could be the cheapo digital coax (Cambridge something), but I'm not convinced.

One question though: What filter effect do you have on? Is it possible to turn them off completely? I thought I had read in the manual that one can press and hold the Filter/Phase button for 2 seconds then it goes off. I tried that but to no avail. Still showing as Lin(ear), etc.

No way of knowing but this could have something to do with cables. I have a Chord Chorus 2 XLR from DM to 840A and Clearer Audio Silver Line coaxial from Extender to DM. I sourced the coaxial for around £50 and they sell for £125 brand new. This might give my system the little boost, I don't know. For the record, I have a QED Performance budget coaxial from BD player to DM.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Clearer-Audio-Silver-line/

A

Anonymous

After some a few more problems this arvo (see other thread about 'no sound'), the system is all up and running.

I must say that I am quite impressed with how those lossless files sound. Anything over 320Kbps does sound pretty good actually.
emotion-21.gif
(unfortunately, that means I will have to re-rip of LOT of CD's - but I know in the end it'll be worth it).

Now, the "new" problem I have is that I find my CD's still sound very bright over the BD player, with or without the DAC. And I still see not much of a difference wheter the DacMagic is switched on or not. Actually since the XLR's have arrived, I find that they make the system (for CD's) sound even brighter than before....
emotion-37.gif

The DM box is staying. Though I'm not too sure about the amp. Either it isn't a good match for my speakers. Or it is just the "Cambridge sound". But at times it is just too bright - sometimes borderline "cringe" moments even.

Before going for the 840A, I did audition the Marantz PM6002 and was quite impressed. Other possible contenders (in my sub £400 budget) would include the PM7001, the Pioneer AA6J and also the Denon PMA700E. Would these be wise choices (for a shortlist) in order to get rid of that "brightness"? Or am I just stupid and should keep the CA?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
After some a few more problems this arvo (see other thread about 'no sound'), the system is all up and running.

I must say that I am quite impressed with how those lossless files sound. Anything over 320Kbps does sound pretty good actually.
emotion-21.gif
(unfortunately, that means I will have to re-rip of LOT of CD's - but I know in the end it'll be worth it).

Now, the "new" problem I have is that I find my CD's still sound very bright over the BD player, with or without the DAC. And I still see not much of a difference wheter the DacMagic is switched on or not. Actually since the XLR's have arrived, I find that they make the system (for CD's) sound even brighter than before....
emotion-37.gif

The DM box is staying. Though I'm not too sure about the amp. Either it isn't a good match for my speakers. Or it is just the "Cambridge sound". But at times it is just too bright - sometimes borderline "cringe" moments even.

Before going for the 840A, I did audition the Marantz PM6002 and was quite impressed. Other possible contenders (in my sub £400 budget) would include the PM7001, the Pioneer AA6J and also the Denon PMA700E. Would these be wise choices (for a shortlist) in order to get rid of that "brightness"? Or am I just stupid and should keep the CA?

I don't find the 840 bright at all and it's in a different league to the other amps you mention. Maybe it's your speakers or you just don't like the sound.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:I don't find the 840 bright at all and it's in a different league to the other amps you mention. Maybe it's your speakers or you just don't like the sound.

You know what? The strangest thing is that it only sounds "bright" when I play CDs (via the DacMagic or not). When I use the USB connection of the DM box (and I play both lossless and lowly-compressed files) I get plenty enough bass then.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
Gerrardasnails:I don't find the 840 bright at all and it's in a different league to the other amps you mention. Maybe it's your speakers or you just don't like the sound.

You know what? The strangest thing is that it only sounds "bright" when I play CDs (via the DacMagic or not). When I use the USB connection of the DM box (and I play both lossless and lowly-compressed files) I get plenty enough bass then.

So the brightness is caused by the transport?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: So the brightness is caused by the transport?

Could well be (although I could be wrong).

Also, my amp has only seen a few weeks' use. Do you think the sound is going to change/improve once it has ben "run in" for a bit longer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts