Question about Dac Magic for AAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys due to trying to make life easier for myself, i plan on ripping my fav songs onto PS3 via AAC 320 and then hooking the PS3 up to a Dac Magic. My question really is do you think with this encoding I will get a much improved sound than i currently do with my Sony XB930?

A

Anonymous

I'm sure these DAC questions are getting harder. I would definitely say so yes but people may argue that because you aren't ripping lossless you are compromising the PS3 set up. If you rip lossless the PS3 will win hands down.ÿ

I remember reading something about the PS3 not liking AAC ripped from CD in iTunes though not 100%, prof may be your man for that.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Octopo:I'm sure these DAC questions are getting harder.They are, I might have to do a "useful post" (one year on)

TobesEtc

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
I'd love someone to do an up to date "useful post" or review of DACs... Claire Newsome said that there was a Review, I think in the Sept issue, of the V-DAC v DacMagic v Beresford. Can I see that online or do I need to buy the magazine?

Reason being - I'm thinking of getting one of these to stick between my Roku Soundbridge and my Arcam Solo Mini. Is it worth it? Which one?

(Sorry for hijacking someone else's post)

Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:
Hi guys due to trying to make life easier for myself, i plan on ripping my fav songs onto PS3 via AAC 320 and then hooking the PS3 up to a Dac Magic. My question really is do you think with this encoding I will get a much improved sound than i currently do with my Sony XB930?

I think it depends on your speakers and amp especially. If you look at the DacMagic being fed lossless or 320 files being as good as a £500 source (being conservative), then using an average amp and speakers might not bring the best out of it. You don't ordinarily use a £500 cd player with £100 speakers and a £200 AV receiver for instance.

So hi fi newbie, what is the rest of your kit?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I have BR2 speakers and NAD C352 amp

In that case, rip losslessly (WMA Lossless, FLAC, APE...) and you will have a nice system with the DacMagic. I think you would need to connect it to the PS3 with optical.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gerrard what i was wondering was if i connect the ps3 to the dac via usb using AAC 320 whether it would bring about notable improvement. You see the thing is I don't have a router at the moment, haven't got airport express and the pc is over the other side of the room, whereas the ps3 and hi fi are right by one another.

Oh and I have my ps3 connected to my amp via the av cable

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

Hi Gerrard what i was wondering was if i connect the ps3 to the dac via usb using AAC 320 whether it would bring about notable improvement. You see the thing is I don't have a router at the moment, haven't got airport express and the pc is over the other side of the room, whereas the ps3 and hi fi are right by one another.

Oh and I have my ps3 connected to my amp via the av cable

USB would work fine - I've not listened to AAC 320 files but I presume they are similar to 320kbps mp3 files. You will notice an improvement for sure - I would re-rip to lossless though.

A

Anonymous

Well they are definitely better than mp3 but wasn't sure how they compare to lossless. I guess I could rip them on my computer and use an external hdd to connect to my ps3.

A

Anonymous

Picked up my DacMagic this morning.
emotion-1.gif
emotion-1.gif

It's hooked up to the S350 by a digital optical cable (CA). Is that reasonable? Or is there a better way?

I'm gonna upgrade my RCA lead to the Atlas Equator very shortly (currently using some non-descript no-brand cable).

(sorry if I'm hijacking another thread)

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Coaxial should be marginally better than optical in theory, though in practice I doubt if you'd hear much difference. Let us know how you get on...

Also, I have the option of connecting the Dac to the amp by their respective XLR's.

How would that sound? (compared to my current optical and the coaxial you just mentionned)

John Duncan

momo72:
JohnDuncan:Coaxial should be marginally better than optical in theory, though in practice I doubt if you'd hear much difference. Let us know how you get on...

Also, I have the option of connecting the Dac to the amp by their respective XLR's.

How would that sound? (compared to my current optical and the coaxial you just mentionned)

Sorry, your amp has balanced XLR inputs? If so, use them.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:momo72:

Of course it has... (says he smugly)

Got new amp too!! eheh...

So you reckon XLRs from amp to Dac and Coax from Player to Dac will work then?

Thanks for the tips, John.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:JohnDuncan:momo72:

Of course it has... (says he smugly)

Got new amp too!! eheh...

So you reckon XLRs from amp to Dac and Coax from Player to Dac will work then?

Thanks for the tips, John.

Did you get the 840, momo? I use XLR to mine and coaxial to the player (and to my extender for lossless files).

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Did you get the 840, momo? I use XLR to mine and coaxial to the player (and to my extender for lossless files).

In the end I did.

It was a tough tough choice, even more so as I couldn't audition due to demo room being full of boxes.

But... The 840A was available, in BLACK, and (only) £400 (for V1 model). It is a lot of money (so will my g/f say - lol). But I'm done with system upgrades till next year, I think. Probably the speakers then...

I'm not sure I like 100% the sound of the system as it is, but I'm still to get the cables I want (and can afford - another matter). I am hoping to see/listen/buy some at the Bristol show next month.

The amp isn't run in either. But it sounds very "cold" and "polite". I am missing out on some bass I think. But still a huge improvement over the A5. I can hear so much more details now, great channel separation, etc. etc. all these things I kept reading on about but couldn't really relate to on my old system.

I'm not there yet, but I'm seriously on the way. Not far to go now. Eheheh...
emotion-5.gif

emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
Gerrardasnails:Did you get the 840, momo? I use XLR to mine and coaxial to the player (and to my extender for lossless files).

In the end I did.

It was a tough tough choice, even more so as I couldn't audition due to demo room being full of boxes.

But... The 840A was available, in BLACK, and (only) £400 (for V1 model). It is a lot of money (so will my g/f say - lol). But I'm done with system upgrades till next year, I think. Probably the speakers then...

I'm not sure I like 100% the sound of the system as it is, but I'm still to get the cables I want (and can afford - another matter). I am hoping to see/listen/buy some at the Bristol show next month.

The amp isn't run in either. But it sounds very "cold" and "polite". I am missing out on some bass I think. But still a huge improvement over the A5. I can hear so much more details now, great channel separation, etc. etc. all these things I kept reading on about but couldn't really relate to on my old system.

I'm not there yet, but I'm seriously on the way. Not far to go now. Eheheh...
emotion-5.gif

emotion-1.gif

Mine gives out serious bass! I have RS6 speakers and the combo is definitely NOT "polite".

A

Anonymous

Cool. I look forward to hearing some decent bass on my system too, once it's been running for another couple of weeks.

By the way, it's uncanny how my new setup looks really similar to yours (the first few elements at least)...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
TobesEtc:I'd love someone to do an up to date "useful post" or review of DACs... Claire Newsome said that there was a Review, I think in the Sept issue, of the V-DAC v DacMagic v Beresford. Can I see that online or do I need to buy the magazine?

Reason being - I'm thinking of getting one of these to stick between my Roku Soundbridge and my Arcam Solo Mini. Is it worth it? Which one?

(Sorry for hijacking someone else's post)

Thanks.

All 3 reviews are on this website (just search by brand or in the CD Player section). The Beresford got 5 stars based on having great features and a great price (I think it had the least impressive sound though - which should be expected since it is so much cheaper than the others)... The DacMagic got 5 Stars for build, sound, features and being an 'all-rounder'... the VDAC seemed to have the most sophisticated sound, but lacked features, looks like poop and is not an 'all-rounder'... If I was in the market for a budget DAC, I'd pick the VDAC (but that's because I like the 'sophisticated' Musical Fidelity sound)...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
momo72:
Cool. I look forward to hearing some decent bass on my system too, once it's been running for another couple of weeks.

By the way, it's uncanny how my new setup looks really similar to yours (the first few elements at least)...

Yep, nice choices! Don't skimp on the coaxial cable by the way - you can get very good ones like QED SR for £25ish and they cost three times that in the shops.

A

Anonymous

Has the soundstage been the biggest improvement you have noticed?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts