Query about Headphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking at getting some decent Headphones. I think the Beyer DT990s or Sennheiser HD650s would be perfect. The thing is should I bother getting a seperate Headphone Amp or will my existing gear do the job. I have an NAD 325BBE Amp and NAD 525BBE CD Player.

A

Anonymous

I have the Senns (which i may be getting rid of now that i have the Grado GS-1000s). They definitely benefit from a powerful headphone amp, i've no idea if the NAD cd player headphone amp is good enough. I'm sure it will be fine unless you're really demanding. I'm not sure quite what the NAD sound is anymore, but the Senns are laidback, a bit soft and warm, so they benefit from a sharp, lively sounding source.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="peteAllen"]I have the Senns (which i may be getting rid of now that i have the Grado GS-1000s). They definitely benefit from a powerful headphone amp, i've no idea if the NAD cd player headphone amp is good enough. I'm sure it will be fine unless you're really demanding. I'm not sure quite what the NAD sound is anymore, but the Senns are laidback, a bit soft and warm, so they benefit from a sharp, lively sounding source.[/quote]

wow, you got the GS1000's!!! damn they are some pretty serious cans! tell me, are they as good as the mags say they are? what amp are you running them through?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]I have the Senns (which i may be getting rid of now that i have the Grado GS-1000s)[/quote]

More envy here! Not only do you have what I'd love to own as my next speaker upgrade but the Grado headphones too. Next you'll have your friends testify that you're a really nice chap too. Think I'll give up drama teaching and go into something a touch more mercantilistic.

[quote user="peteAllen"]but the Senns are laidback, a bit soft and warm, so they benefit from a sharp, lively sounding source.[/quote]

My Senn 600's are okay but I'm looking to one of the Graham Slee headphone amp options to make them a less exhausting listen; anyone recommend where to go with this? Another luddite query: how would I connect the headphone amp to my Arcam A85/P90?

A

Anonymous

hey charlie, i can settle for pete being a nice guy - i just hope he isnt good looking too! as for connecting your headphone amp - i honestly believe that you would be much better off connecting it directly to your source. the most direct and shortest path for the signal will be the best ad this way you can save buying a second IC and invest in just one ultra high quality IC (if you dont already have one)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"] i honestly believe that you would be much better off connecting it directly to your source. t[/quote]

My main two sources are vinyl, (Nad 533 into Gram Amp 1) and CD, (Arcam 92/Chord64 DAC). Neither offer a direct line in for headphones though. My only 'phone point is on my Arcam amp.

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]the most direct and shortest path for the signal will be the best ad this way you can save buying a second IC and invest in just one ultra high quality IC (if you dont already have one)[/quote]

I understand the direct path bit but I'm not quite sure how and why I would need two new interconnects if I can't plug straight into the source. All (simply explained) advice gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

I seem to remember hearing that the A85 has a good built-in headphone amp. Anyway, if you get the Slee Intro or Solo, you will need to feed it from the RCA outputs of your cd player or phono stage, or the amp tape loop output (which is further down the path away from either source but is certainly the most practical).

The Benchmark DAC-1 is great with Sennheiser HD560s by the way, and it's at a similar price new as the Solo, plus its DAC will transform your cd player to the high end. Nothing has ever made more of an improvement to my system that the Benchmark, it is an exceptional piece of kit.

Another thing about the Senns is that you can replace the cable - it pulls out if you yank - with a Cardas cable and this is supposed to bring a significant improvement. I never bothered as I was using them mainly at work with a portable usb dac.

Yes, the GS-1000s are amazing. The main thing is that it really doesn't feel like you're wearing headphones. It feels like the sounds are coming from outside. Also it is by far the most comfortable and unfatiguing headphone I've tried, which is much more important than you'd think. But I was a little taken aback by their balance which is slightly cold, and I like my sound a bit warm and lush (I LOVE the Sugden sound). My only good source so far is the Benchmark DAC-1 and they don't mate that well, as they are both ruthlessly analytical and a bit bright, meaning that any sibilance or poor recording is painfully obvious. However, I have a tube headphone amp, the Earmax Pro, arriving shortly, which is supposed to have a very smooth, sweet, mellow sound, and therefore should be a good match.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="peteAllen"]I seem to remember hearing that the A85 has a good built-in headphone amp.[/quote]

I've got nothing to compare it to really but yes it's okay.

[quote user="peteAllen"] Anyway, if you get the Slee Intro or Solo,[/quote]

I was just falling for that old devil of "I want a new toy" for Christmas. So, my partner will be delighted, as I think you've talked me out of buying the Graham Slee or similarly priced head-amps.

[quote user="peteAllen"]

The Benchmark DAC-1 is great with Sennheiser HD560s by the way, and it's at a similar price new as the Solo, plus its DAC will transform your cd player to the high end. Nothing has ever made more of an improvement to my system that the Benchmark, it is an exceptional piece of kit[/quote]

I've got my Arcam CD 92 hooked up to a Chord 64 DAC and it's really good. Not come across the Benchmark before, but I too was wowed when I invested in a separate DAC. Worth every penny.

Thanks for all your tips/advice, Pete.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]
I've got my Arcam CD 92 hooked up to a Chord 64 DAC and it's really good. Not come across the Benchmark before, but I too was wowed when I invested in a separate DAC. Worth every penny.
.[/quote]

OMG is that the same Chord 64 DAC that retails for over 2000 GBP?!?!? how the hell do you get in a position to have that much money to spend on one component? and why have that quality of a DAC when you "only" have a CD92 (not knocking this player at all it is superb - but it isnt in the same league as your DAC)?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]

OMG is that the same Chord 64 DAC that retails for over 2000 GBP?!?!?[/quote]

Yes, it is that very same piece of kit. And yes, it's a long story. . .

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"] how the hell do you get in a position to have that much money to spend on one component? and why have that quality of a DAC when you "only" have a CD92 (not knocking this player at all it is superb - but it isnt in the same league as your DAC)?[/quote]

No, I quite agree, the Arcam and the Chord DAC are in a different league, price-wise and otherwise. My system isn't really very well balanced is it? B&W 1NT's and an A85/P90 amp combo added into the equation too. Is it, what some would call, a system lacking in synergy, perhaps? At the time of purchase I owned around 2,000 CDs and the dealer sold me the line (which I naturally bought!) about the DAC working out at £1 per CD, to hear my entire collection improved. By and large, he was right.

The passing years have added another 1,000 discs, so does that mean I now need a £3,000 upgrade somewhere? If only.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]OMG is that the same Chord 64 DAC that retails for over 2000 GBP?!?!?[/quote]

. . .oh, and at the time, most of my mates thought that money was rather a lot for a silver biscuit tin with purple-glow-in-the-dark interior lighting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts