quality hifi newcomer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just bought a new house and I am looking in to buying my first decent system. After reading the october issue I have decided on the Marantz CD6002 but can't decide which amp and speakers to go for. I am tempted by the Roksan Kandy LIII and B&W 685 but unsure if maybe the Rotel RA-04 and Monitor Audio BR2 (obviously a considerably cheaper option) would be more than adequate for the long but narrow living/dining room (25x11 foot). My budget is in the region of £1500 including cables etc but would happily spend less as I want to buy another flat panel TV.

Furthermore would a room this size be better suited to floorstanders or standmounts? I have also heard conflicting advice with regard to how best to distribute the money in your budjet. For example is any single component more important and therefore worth spending more money on or should the money be distributed equally?

Cheers guys

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Are the speakers going to be firing down the length of the room, or across the 11ft dimension?

I'd be tempted to wait and see how the new Marantz PM6002 does, as it seems the obvious amp partner for the CD6002.

A

Anonymous

It depends on how all the furniture fits in with all of the technology but I suspect it would be down the length of the room.

A

Anonymous

Thanks I'll look into it. How do these compare to the B&W's? Also any advice on budget distribution?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO the MAs will be a better choice than the B&Ws. Assuming you go for the Marantz player and maybe the matching amp, and with the speakers at £349, plus perhaps £100-£150 for stands, you're looking at under £1000 for the whole lot, plus a bit more for interconnect and speaker cables. That's roughly a third each for player, amp and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts