Oxfordian

Hi,

I have commented on other threads about getting reacquainted with my old hifi system after it being in storage for 20 years and my new listening room which is a compact (9ftx9ft) my priority is getting some new stand mounted speakers in place of the current floor standers which are too big for the room.

I want to get opinions, thoughts and if possible experience of what are my current favourites the Quad’s S2 stand mount, what are they like?

The specs and reviews look promising as the speakers appear that they can be placed as close as 20cm from walls which is a big consideration for the space I have available.

If anyone has these speakers or has had them can you give me an assessment of how they sound, my music preferences are reasonably middle of the road with some jazz, vocal and blues on a normal listening session.

Also for those that have or had the speakers did you find that specific stands were required or were you able to use existing stands that you had?

With shops re-opening soon in the UK I am hoping to get a pair on a home demo and see how they work out with my rather old Arcam Alpha 8 amplifier.

Hopefully you guys and gals can provide some insights on the S2’s and what they are like.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have commented on other threads about getting reacquainted with my old hifi system after it being in storage for 20 years and my new listening room which is a compact (9ftx9ft) my priority is getting some new stand mounted speakers in place of the current floor standers which are too big for the room.

I want to get opinions, thoughts and if possible experience of what are my current favourites the Quad’s S2 stand mount, what are they like?

The specs and reviews look promising as the speakers appear that they can be placed as close as 20cm from walls which is a big consideration for the space I have available.

If anyone has these speakers or has had them can you give me an assessment of how they sound, my music preferences are reasonably middle of the road with some jazz, vocal and blues on a normal listening session.

Also for those that have or had the speakers did you find that specific stands were required or were you able to use existing stands that you had?

With shops re-opening soon in the UK I am hoping to get a pair on a home demo and see how they work out with my rather old Arcam Alpha 8 amplifier.

Hopefully you guys and gals can provide some insights on the S2’s and what they are like.

Thanks.
nice speakers when I heard them unfortunately nobody has your ears or room so really the only way to be sure is to listen to them yourself. Dedicated stands are a nonsense , and I don't recall Quad making any, just get decent ones of the correct height. I have had no end of speakers on my Atacama SE24 stands.
No reason they shouldn't work well with your Arcam as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Gray and Oxfordian

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I used the S2 with my Hegel H120.

They would have benefitted even more from a better amplifier. I don't think you will fully appreciate them with your current amplifier.

Good enough for a very good system but they are still small speakers and not for large rooms.

I played everything from d/metal to jazz, spoken word and classical.

Superb build too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

I used the S2 with my Hegel H120.

They would have benefitted even more from a better amplifier. I don't think you will fully appreciate them with your current amplifier.

Good enough for a very good system but they are still small speakers and not for large rooms.

I played everything from d/metal to jazz, spoken word and classical.

Superb build too.

Thanks for the response, my listening room is going to be small 9ft x 9ft so filling a big room with sound isn’t on the agenda.

I am concerned about the age of my amplifier and it’s abilities so want to hear the S2’s attached to it before I go and buy a new one. It is working fine at the moment therefore it is worth giving it a chance with the S2’s or any other speakers I try.

There is a fair bit of kit I want to pick up, the RP3 is away getting upgraded, new speakers and stands are needed plus the kit needs a proper stand to sit on, so if my amp will suffice in the short term that will be a big help and reduce immediate expenditure.

I suppose that this will teach me for leaving my gear packed away in the loft for around 20 years. Stores re-open in England tomorrow so I can start visiting hifi dealers and trying to get some kit on demo.

Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: RoA

Oxfordian

Can I just add that Alpha 8 was a decent amp and still is. I'd take it over most amp new up to £400. It will match the room and Quads well. Source is the key to make sure you get the most out of this combo.

Thanks for this reply, really appreciated.

I am keen to try the Quads, the spec sheet (which is no guarantee of success) does seem to make them worthy of an audition. My Arcam is working fine at the moment and doesn’t seem to have any diverse implications from being hidden away in the loft for so many years.

The local dealer is very keen for me to head down the much more expensive LS50 Meta route with a new amp, but I am going to dig my heels in and try speakers only, if the Arcam goes pop at some point then I will deal with that when it happens.

Sources will be a Rega Planar 3 with a new motor and power supply and a vintage Marantz CD50SE, which knowledgable folk on these forums have suggested that I keep it in the system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts