Quad S-5 floor standing speakers

Musicman

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Dear All,

I'm thinking of pairing these with my Rega Elex R (72wpc). Does anyone have experience of these speakers? Would they be a good match for the Elex R? I'm in Northern Ireland and can't demo until Christmas....

Musicman said:
Dear All,

I'm thinking of pairing these with my Rega Elex R (72wpc). Does anyone have experience of these speakers? Would they be a good match for the Elex R? I'm in Northern Ireland and can't demo until Christmas....

The Quad S series is quite new still. I have not heard them and I doubt many others will have either. However, judging from reviews of the series, there is no reason to suspect that your Rega will not drive them sufficiently well. Having said that speakers are difficult to recommend without a personal audition and I would wait until you can do that.

Musicman said:
Good point. I'm going to set myself up with a demo at Audio T in Bristol when I can.....

Great. If you have a bigger budget see if they have any of the newer Z Series you can audition. The Z3's are supposed to be a big step up but then they should be because they are another grand on top. ;-)

Al ears said:
Musicman said:
Good point. I'm going to set myself up with a demo at Audio T in Bristol when I can.....

Great. If you have a bigger budget see if they have any of the newer Z Series you can audition. The Z3's are supposed to be a big step up but then they should be because they are another grand on top. ;-)
I agree. It's always a good idea to try something a bit or a lot better/pricier. Many avoid this for fear of being tempted. Personally, I find it helps calibrate just what expenditure is needed, and what if anything I'm missing.

insider9 said:
Musicman said:
Have you guys tried ribbon tweeters? I've not heard them before....
Best tweeters in my opinion. I can't imagine going back.

Quad S-5 look amazing.

Doesn't it. Better (larger) ribbon tweeter on the Z Series but much more expensive and even better looks.

Both the pairs of speakers I currently own utilise ribbon tweeters. Properly integrated they are certainly a very good transducer type.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts