Quad Replacing 99 Series

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

I've just audtioned the Quad 99CDP2 with the 909 power amp.

I'm impressed and I was going to put the money down to buy however a thought came into my mind, this kit was originally designed roughly 10 years ago? and technology has leaped forwared etc.

I was thinking is Quad going to update the 99 Series at all in the near future?

Has anyone heard any rumours before I buy?

Or should I wait and see what Cyrus bringing out regarding the new range of amp's with USB input etc.

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As far as I know there are no plans to replace the 99 series ATM. The company has a new upmarket range, the Platinum series, on the way, but this is pitched way above the current 99s.

A

Anonymous

The 909 design is pretty much exactly the same as for the 405, designed in the mid seventies. The 909 obviously uses a bigger transformer and newer components but I strongly suspect it is far surpassed by a good 405 upgrade (untested). Upgrades are good value too!

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Which upgrades can be performed to the 909 ? Is it worth getting the 99 Pre amp, and I would like to connect a tuner and a cassette deck? Also which speaker cable would you recommend for run a pair of Mordaunt Short 908's? and are interconnects you can recommend?

A

Anonymous

As far as I can see, the 405 is the key contender for upgrades, not sure why. Think some places will do the 606 but I don't think there's anything to be gained. I'm considering the 99 pre as not only being a good pre for the money, it has a tilt control, an all singing all dancing tone control. Some CDs I have just need their bright edge 'tuning out' so a useful feature in a very revealing system! Plus sometimes you just want to soften everything, at a dinner party for instance.

I use Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable and a couple of Chord Chameleon Silver Plus I/Cs. Haven't tried tonnes of wires (enough though!) but these wires seem to be very good to me! Plus I can't imagine spending much more on wire TBH. Some might say that their silver content brightens their system; I say get a less bright system and stop blaming the cables.

A

Anonymous

Hello all, why replace something that is as good as the 99 series kit? Quad don't go in for constant updates, the quality of their components is superb as it is. The transport on the CDP2 is an in house design, they went this way after philips stopped making them for the mass market. The 909 power is probably the best power amp out there that i've heard at the pricepoint. I ended up with 2 99 power amps as i couldn't fit th 909 in my rack...still a great listen though!

Personally i haven't bothered with the 99 pre as the CDP2 has a built in pre, you can connect direct to the 909/99 power thus giving a cleaner signal path. The ability to connect your mp3/sky box etc to the digital inputs on the CDP2 and take advantage of the DAC is a real bonus.

I spent a VERY long time auditioning kit from many firms, Cyrus, MF, Audiolab to name but a few. The Quad 99 kit to my ears was the best all rounder by quite a margin. I even prefer the CDP2 over the mightily overhyped Cyrus CD6se.

Good luck and try before you buy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts