Quad Monoblocks or Quad 909

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, to keep things simple im going to go for either two Quad monoblocks or the Quad 909 stereo amp. The cost of two mono amps is the same cost as the 909 amp, so money is not an issue. I just wanna know which is better!

Clare if your reading this would love some advice : )

A

Anonymous

I have the Epos M12.2 speakers, but i also own the flagship Epos M22 speakers. If one of these quad amps is better than the other, then presumably the better amp would work better with both my speakers?

What hi fi have you ever compared the quad 99 monoblocks with the quad 909 stereo amp?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A stereo 909 will be enough for the Epos, but you could look at the mono's if you're looking at upgrading your speakers at some point. With the mono's you'll find you're pretty much open to buying ANY speakers.......
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

I went into town today and auditioned the quad 909 against the quad monoblock amps. The guy in the shop made me have the volume so soft i could compare the amps properly (so frustrating), and no other quad dealer in my city has both the amps for demo. I feel shop demos can be so useless.

Would there be much difference between them sonically? I feel like im gonna have to make a blind purchase. I think the 909 may use superior technology but thats doesnt necesserily mean ill prefer it as these things can be so subjective. Previously ive always had Cyrus gear.

Help!

A

Anonymous

Sorry bout the typo, i meant to say i could NOT compare the two amp during audition due to the very soft volumes.

SURELY SOMEONE FROM THE MAGAZINE HAS HEARD THE MONOBLOCKS? IF SOMEONE FROM WHAT HI FI COULD HELP ME OUT ID BE MOST GREATFUL : )

A

Anonymous

Maybe you could make a firm but polite statement to the dealer that unless you can demo how you need to, he won't make a sale.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
quantum:

I feel like im gonna have to make a blind purchase.

My opinion is that even with a demo, it's still a big risk when you buy new equipment. Only a home demo where you are free to listen for several hours over the course of a couple of days with your own equipment removes the risk. It often takes me weeks to decide how happy I am with my purchase. So many factors can affect your opinion in a short shop demo.

I think the 909 is the safest choice. That's what I would buy (and did buy, arriving next week...)

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Maybe you could make a firm but polite statement to the dealer that unless you can demo how you need to, he won't make a sale.

Concur with Iggs here, if I were about to spend my hard earned, I would have the volume at any level I chose...........

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:I think the 909 is the safest choice. That's what I would buy (and did buy, arriving next week...)

Good work! I wondered how you'd got on.

Easy for me to say Quantum but I really don't think you'll regret buying a 909. It sounds so natural and 'right'

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

The thing is i may not actually prefer the more 'natural' sound. I agree with the consensus that hifi can be subjective. I listened to the legendary quad electrostatic loudspeakers, and i was totally underwhelmed by what i heard. I was expecting to be blown away and instead i heard what to my ears sounded like a bland and lifeless sound coming out of two gigantic hunks of metal lol. Suffice it to say that for me personally, i much prefer the sonic character of conventional loudspeakers.

To get back to the amp issue, i like a sound that is not laid back (i almost like a birght sound such as my Cyrus amp). If the 909 sounds natural, i may actually prefer the mono amps. I guess iggs is right in that i should probably insist on playing louder in the shop so i can better compare the two different amps, or alternatively arrange for a home demo if possible.

A

Anonymous

Quantum, neither the 909 or 99 sound bright in any way and they share a natural and full sound. Maybe Quad isn't right for you after all. Have you considered a Creek Destiny or Naim Nait XS?

A

Anonymous

I think i will consider the destiny. Maybe ill keep things simple, and ill try to arrange a home demo with both the creek and the quad. I heard the creek evo once and actually preferred it to a cyrus amp that was twice the price of the evo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts