Quad LNB Upgrade for Sky Dish

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Can someone please advise how much I would expect to pay to have the LNB on my Sky dish upgraded to a Quad LNB and to have an additional cable running to the lounge and a cable to run to each bedroom which are both above the lounge.

Many thanks.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I went on to Aerialforce's website (www.aerialforce.co.uk) and they have a live chat facilty so I asked them on there for a quote. Here is paste of the conversation:

"Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Michelle'

Michelle: hello how can i help

you: Hi

you: Can you please me a quote to upgrade the LNB on my Sky dish to a QUAD LNB and to run two cables from it to the lounge and one cable to two bedrooms which are above the lounge

Michelle: quad lnb £125+vat

Michelle: each cable feed from £65+vat

Michelle: all supplied and installed

you: so for the cable feeds I would pay £65 x4?

Michelle: yes it would be

you: Okay thanks you

Michelle: your welcome"

Yikes! That works out at £452.38 (inc. VAT). What you quoted was roughly what I was expecting to pay but this seems ridiculous!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
DistortedVision:
I went on to Aerialforce's website (www.aerialforce.co.uk) and they have a live chat facilty so I asked them on there for a quote. Here is paste of the conversation:

you: Can you please me a quote to upgrade the LNB on my Sky dish to a QUAD LNB and to run two cables from it to the lounge and one cable to two bedrooms which are above the lounge

Yikes! That works out at £452.38 (inc. VAT). What you quoted was roughly what I was expecting to pay but this seems ridiculous!

Ouch, ebay have quad LNBs for about £5 - £10!

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I know but installing it and the cable feeds are a problem. I called Viewtek TV Aerials Ltd (www.getsetfordigital.co.uk) and they quoted me:

£126.90 (inc. VAT) to install Quad LNB and two cable feeds to the lounge which is an offer they are going or:
£240.87 (inc. VAT) for the above plus two cable feeds to two bedrooms

The former quote seems more like it but the later is far too high - basically double the price for two additional cable feeds.

daveh75

DistortedVision:

emotion-3.gif
That's ludicrous pricing!!!!
Though i have to say i'm not surprised, i know someone that used to work for them...But you'll find "national" aerial companies in general charge way over the odds for the services they provide.

Your best bet is to find a local independent installer(preferably CAI registered) and get them to quote.

You can find a list of CAI registered installers Here

A

Anonymous

Hi I am by no means an expert but I changed the single LNB for a quad and routed the cable to my Sky + and my Freesat Pvr not at all difficult.

Sure you can do it for a tenth of the price.

Good Luck

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I know but running cable feeds to the bedrooms is a problem. A local company I found on Yell.com quoted me £100 (inc. VAT) which is what I expected to pay but I'm not sure about using them because they only have a mobile number listed.

J J:

Hi I am by no means an expert but I changed the single LNB for a quad and routed the cable to my Sky + and my Freesat Pvr not at all difficult.

Sure you can do it for a tenth of the price.

Good Luck

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am trying to figure out why you need to have a Quad LNB for your Sky installed and paying big bucks for it. Do you currently subscribe to Sky? If so and if you were to upgrade to Sky+, do you not get the LNB for free and installation costs at £30 plus the box for £49?

Michael

daveh75

DistortedVision: A local company I found on Yell.com quoted me £100 (inc. VAT) which is what I expected to pay but I'm not sure about using them because they only have a mobile number listed. Did you try looking on the CAI's site.

If you select 'Domestic installers' and select your county it should give you a list of small independent's/sole traders,which is what you want to get reasonable prices.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes thanks daveh75 but there are only two companies that are in my area - I left a message for them to call me back with one and I got a answering machine with the other. So I'll just have to wait....

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Thank you so much daveh75 for telling me about the CAI website! The company that I found on there - Weston Aerial & Security Services just came and quoted me £120 (inc. VAT) and they are going to do it tomorrow. Interestingly of all the companies that I called they were the only ones that wanted to take a look and give a quote in person.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS