John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
I've been given a pair of Quad II's and Quad 22 Pre-amp to look after for a while (I'm not giving them back).
They were last serviced in 2003, so I do intend sending them back to Quad for a service.
Questions I have for anyone out there that can help?
1. They sound great, but they do hiss when there is no volume or source running through them - why is this?
2. I've currently got my Sonos connected to it through the tape input, which has been modified to take a modern input. I want to run a streamer plus a Chord Cutest DAC as the source - is this a good idea?
3. Speakers?? I've got them connected to a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze on stands right now and they sound really good. But with a new source and following a service and perhaps new valves - what speakers would anyone recommend? I'm not keen on the ESL's, but I don't know why. I'd pay up to £1500.
4. Is there a better way to control the Quad II's than the Quad 22? If so, anyone got any thoughts on alternative pre-amps?
Thank you
John

Are they original Quad II monoblock amps?
trying to run modern equipment through these is always going to be a problem.
regarding speakers you might be better off looking at speakers that are specifically designed to compliment low powered valve amps like the Icon Audio FRM1

Last edited:

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
They are original and almost unmodified. The inputs have been modified to take modern equipment. As I say, I am running the Sonos through them.
They are driving the Monitor Audios to unlistenable levels, there does not seem to be any lack of power? I will check out those speakers.
Thank you for taking the time.82AA40A2-213F-4A7B-B0F3-436CB49E167A.jpg

Reactions: Al ears

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
They are beautiful of course. New ones may be beyond my means, but second hand may be a consideration. The Quads are driving Monitor Audio Bronze 2 at 8ohm at the moment, and it is driving them easily?

Reactions: Al ears

John Fulwood

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
It's a good question. I've taken the MA's from another room just to test the Quads (only had Quads a few days).
I imagine (I won't say "want", as I don't know for sure) a digital streamer, not the Sonos, something that i can play the highest quality files through, linked through a Chord Qutest to the Quad 22. Speakers - well who knows? But, I'm prepared to spend a bit more on this system and I'm happy to buy second hand.
Coming back to the point you raise about why change them? Well, see above, but also as I've heard music come from them that sounds better than I've heard them before, it makes me think - how much better could those Quads sound??

AJM1981

Used to have the Quad 33 and 303 for a while. They also produced a light hiss.

It didn't really bother me knowing what it was and I don't know if it should or shouldn't have been like that. Given that they amplified speakers in the 70s, a lot of vintage audio wasn't dead silent. I would not be surprised if it also didnt really bother listeners of vintage audio back in the days either. The bar of what we define as quality is much higher now.

AJM1981

Quad is cool. What I especially like about it these days besides their sound and design is that their vintage equipment kind of manages to keep a decent market value. So if you ever sell the set, make sure not to undervalue it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts