matthewpiano

I'm planning on going down the Quad route and particularly looking at older Quad designs like a 33/303 combination or a 44/306 combination. Interested in any opinions/views and any advice people can give. I'm not in a rush but I plan to do something before Christmas. Whatever I buy will drive Quad 11L speakers and I intend to look for a Quad or Arcam CD player as well.

A

Anonymous

I think Iggle had some older Quads hopefully he will be around soon.

A

Anonymous

Matt, I think Quad would be an ideal choice for you! They sound smooth, natural and warm (compared to say, Cyrus). I would recommend buying a used 405MK2 (not MK1) and then now or later going for the Netaudio MK3 upgrade with dual mono PSU and BBOPA627 op amps. It's a superb power amp for the money and you can do it in two stages.

There's lots of good preamp choices and passives work well with it. I've found that an active works for me, the AVI being a stunning bargain on the used market. The 33 can be rebuilt by Netaudio and the 44 is apparently great in it's original form.

If the 405 doesn't float your boat, save for the Quad 909. It's worth every penny and I can point you to one going for £600. With the 99CDP it sounds superb with the 11L. Really superb.

A

Anonymous

Nick21:I think Iggle had some older Quads hopefully he will be around soon.
Crikey, I'm so predictable
emotion-3.gif

matthewpiano

Thanks Igg! I've finally decided that I need to get me some proper quality British amplification and so many people have said Quad is the one for me.

The idea of upgrade stages with the Netaudio thing is very appealing and I love the fact that those Quad amps seem to be pretty bomb proof.

A

Anonymous

The 405 is solid, attractive (for a power amp, anyway) and can be repaired easily in the future, i.e. in 30 years when it might need some attention
emotion-1.gif
Now, I'm not saying it's the last word in power amps at all, but it easily competes with the 909 and can be done and dusted for under £600.

The current dumper sound isn't without it's colour, but it seems to possess soul. Music has emotion. They're the sort of amp you own, sell, upgrade and then regretfully buy another one.

Have a look at the reviews of the Netaudio 405MK3 upgrade.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:save for the Quad 909.,,,. With the 99CDP it sounds superb with the 11L. Really superb.

I second that. Had that very combo as a system some years back - amazing if you love vocals to shine.
emotion-21.gif

T

the record spot

Plus I hear Quad servicing is legendary, should you ever need to call on it Matt. Well worth a go, the company has a pretty stellar history IMO and there are any number of spare parts kicking around for even the oldest products; amps, electrostatics...the lot. Safe bet.

A

Anonymous

Currently using CDP2 and 909 with PMC OB1is and the speakers are new and have just taken things to another level from focal 836vs. But now have a dilemma as I just know the speakers can do so much more.

Would like more detail and clarity and do not know if upgrades to 909 and cdp2 are available or viable ?

Also waiting to see if 909 monoblocs are released with updated CDP and 909. Ideally would like to move to monos......or if not is it possible to run 2 standard 909s as monos ?

Any advice welcome as you sure seem to know your quad stuff and this is my third upgrade of quad kit

A

Anonymous

I have a 303 which I upgraded with the Netaudio MkIII. I use it out of the back of a Beresford Caiman with a Little Dot CDP. I have used this with a variety of speakers - Ruarks, Audio Vector and Spendors. Very impressed with the both the detail and the punch that it provides.

I have Quad 12L and 11L in my AV system. Lovely speakers. Prefer the originals to the updated versions, but cannot quite my finger on why.

matthewpiano:I'm planning on going down the Quad route and particularly looking at older Quad designs like a 33/303 combination or a 44/306 combination. Interested in any opinions/views and any advice people can give. I'm not in a rush but I plan to do something before Christmas. Whatever I buy will drive Quad 11L speakers and I intend to look for a Quad or Arcam CD player as well.

Why?
emotion-3.gif
I thought you were cooing over the Arc....

If you're going down the Quad route, why not add a power amp to the Arcam? I've always maintained (and you thought you were predictable, Iggs
emotion-5.gif
) Arcams bi-amped sounds scrumptious.

matthewpiano:Ha ha ha!! I won't be moving away from Arcam amplification now PP. I've had my day off today and really enjoyed listening to all sorts of music. Very very happy with the A18.

proves I'm a caring-sharing type. That's not correct either, it proves I'm a idiot.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matthew, not sure if this is what you would want at all (I don't know the differences between the models) or if you can get to London but Billy Vee have a 99 cd player for £349, 99 power for £299 and 99 pre for £399 in their Marketplace section all ex dem with 2 year warranty. Seem like good prices and I am sure they would take a bit more off if you went for the lot.

matthewpiano

bay24:Hi Matthew, not sure if this is what you would want at all (I don't know the differences between the models) or if you can get to London but Billy Vee have a 99 cd player for £349, 99 power for £299 and 99 pre for £399 in their Marketplace section all ex dem with 2 year warranty. Seem like good prices and I am sure they would take a bit more off if you went for the lot.

Hi bay24. Thanks for your kind post but this is an old thread that someone has resurrected. I was thinking about Quad but decided to go with Arcam for amplification in the end and I'm very pleased with it so I'm not in the market for Quad gear now.

It is a good offer for someone though and I'm grateful to you for pointing it out. :)

A

Anonymous

gjc121:
Currently using CDP2 and 909 with PMC OB1is and the speakers are new and have just taken things to another level from focal 836vs. But now have a dilemma as I just know the speakers can do so much more.

Would like more detail and clarity and do not know if upgrades to 909 and cdp2 are available or viable ?

Also waiting to see if 909 monoblocs are released with updated CDP and 909. Ideally would like to move to monos......or if not is it possible to run 2 standard 909s as monos ?

Any advice welcome as you sure seem to know your quad stuff and this is my third upgrade of quad kit

You can get two 909 power amps in mono configuration. Quad would tell you what's required but I'm pretty sure they can do the conversion for you. I've also read that Dada upgrades can be applied to the 909, using their 606 offerings. Not really sure about that one but they have a forum on their Website where you can ask!

If I were in your shoes I'd be hunting down a Bryston amp to get the best out of those PMCs. A bit more expensive but a better long term solution than two mod'ed Quads.

A

Anonymous

Igglebert,

Re Bryston route, Ill have to sort out a demo...the 4bsst has the grunt needed (my missus winds the quad up to 25 !!!) but is a bit expensive new. Do you think the CDP2 is up to the job as a pre in this setup. Ultimately would like to sort the middle of the system out now and look at the front end later.....as I know what the front and back sound like. Ill check the above forums etc.

Anyone heard Pathos Logo 2 with CDP or PMCs ??? On paper it sounds enticing and this would be just in budget @3.5k maximum. ( my missus might have to miss some grunt tho)

Any second hand tips also welcome, as you can tell I like neutral sound with a bit of warmth. Mid sounds great at present, upper mid could be a bit smoother but Im being picky. Soundstage is quite deep and wide. treble is good and could be a bit better. Maybe a bit of liquid warmth would not go amiss with more detail and finnesse........(Keep dreaming...)

Thanks
emotion-42.gif

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
gjc121:
Igglebert,

Re Bryston route, Ill have to sort out a demo...the 4bsst has the grunt needed (my missus winds the quad up to 25 !!!) but is a bit expensive new. Do you think the CDP2 is up to the job as a pre in this setup. Ultimately would like to sort the middle of the system out now and look at the front end later.....as I know what the front and back sound like. Ill check the above forums etc.

Anyone heard Pathos Logo 2 with CDP or PMCs ??? On paper it sounds enticing and this would be just in budget @3.5k maximum. ( my missus might have to miss some grunt tho)

Any second hand tips also welcome, as you can tell I like neutral sound with a bit of warmth. Mid sounds great at present, upper mid could be a bit smoother but Im being picky. Soundstage is quite deep and wide. treble is good and could be a bit better. Maybe a bit of liquid warmth would not go amiss with more detail and finnesse........(Keep dreaming...)

Thanks
emotion-42.gif

Okay First a disclaimer! I have never heard any of this kit but if you are thinking about a pathos amp and valves I just spotted a graaf Gm50 on eBay with a starting price of £1600. Got a very good review in whathifi at £4000. No idea if it would go with your system just seems like it could be a bit of a bargain!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gjc121:

Thanks
emotion-42.gif

maybe a moon amp? an ex/dem i7rs should be in budget, if you can find one.

A

Anonymous

gjc121:
Igglebert,

Thanks
emotion-42.gif

From what I've read in the audio press, the pre section of the CDP2 isn't great. I have to admit, I've never found it lacking but then the system I tried it in wasn't exactly high end! The CDP is excellent but if you really want to make some gains in amp performance I'd start looking elsewhere.

Something like a Brytson will help open up the top end a bit and also keep the bottom end a bit tighter. Exactly what you'd expect with the sheer amount of power they generally provide.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I wonder if somebody could help me with my system. I have a gorgeous late model Quad 44 & 303 as my amplification. Marantz CD63Ki Cd player & I've been using some Classic Kef 104ab speakers. The sound is amazingly clear & detailed with classical music albeit slightly to bright! With Funk, Rock and dub the speakers to me show there age. Is there a speaker you can recommend? My budget tops out at about £350. I really like warm natural sound which was my reason for buying the quads.....so is it the kefs?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts